Dvd recorder bargin or not???

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Superdrug are selling AVIUOS DRW 1029 for £40 any ideas if its good or not? i think it only records dvd + not to sure tried looking up some info on the net but only came across 1 thread

Comments

• John CurrieJohn Currie Posts: 2,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote:
    Superdrug are selling AVIUOS DRW 1029 for £40 any ideas if its good or not? i think it only records dvd + not to sure tried looking up some info on the net but only came across 1 thread

It's got to be Chinese junk at that price...personally I wouldn't touch it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    for £40 you cant complain even if you use it for the bedroom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    There is a liteon dvd recorder (Sorry cant remember the number)

It copies/plays all formats (+r, -r, +rw, -rw)

It is also slimline.

I have seen it for £70 on the net.
  • mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Liteon is cheap and nasty just like the other one.
    It might record to 4 formats,but some of the useful features of both + and - are missing from these models.
    It may be a bargain and at £40 for a dvd recorder who can complain,but it will be cheap crap.
    Quality recorder start at just over £100.
    Panasonic's new range is a true multi format range covering RAM,-R,-RW,+R and new to this range +RW.
    "You get what you pay for" is demonstrated no clearer than in the world of consumer electronics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    mongosito wrote:
    The Liteon is cheap and nasty just like the other one.
    It might record to 4 formats,but some of the useful features of both + and - are missing from these models.
    It may be a bargain and at £40 for a dvd recorder who can complain,but it will be cheap crap.
    Quality recorder start at just over £100.
    Panasonic's new range is a true multi format range covering RAM,-R,-RW,+R and new to this range +RW.
    "You get what you pay for" is demonstrated no clearer than in the world of consumer electronics.

I am sure they won't mind charging you over 100 pounds if you ask them nicely. Then it will be a quality piece of kit, must be you paid over 100 pounds!

I have seen lots of very poor gear at very high prices. The cheap chinese players are made from very cheap components which will on average make them last not as long as kit made with better parts.

In this digital world a cheap player with a HDMI output will propably give an identical picture to a very expensive one. The cheap bits will always make the analogue outputs poor from my experience.

As for the cheap DVD recorder I would not get one without Freeview and recording from a 7 day guide personally. A good DVB based recorder will be lossless during recording giving you a great picture when you play it back.
  • mongositomongosito Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally,I would not touch a dvd only recorder with a barge pole.
    Direct to dvd recording is as hit and miss as VHS,albeit better quality.
    I use Sky+160 and a Freeview HDD recorder for lossless recording.
    Anything worth keeping on dvd is transferred to my Pioneer HDD where its edited (without a PC or fiddly software) and burned at high speed to dvd.