Options

Hulu worth it ?

Anyone use Hulu in the UK, is it worth paying for the adfree version

Comments

• Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,439
    Forum Member
    If you're going to get it, I would definitely recommend paying that bit more for the ad free plan. I had it two months but I've only just cancelled my subscription, I plan on picking it up again in a few months but right now I wanted to catch up on some of my boxsets so didn't see the point in paying for Hulu when I won't be using it.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hulu is fantastic if you like the latest series from American broadcasters like NBC, ABC, FOX and quite a few others including basic cable channels (although no CBS or premium cable channels like Hulu or Showtime, though Showtime can be an additional plugin).

Think of it as if all the UK FTA catch-up services were available via one 3rd party service, and you'll get what it is all about, except it also offers movies. (If you love arthouse, their Criterion Collection is brilliant).

Quality is excellent, platform support is brilliant and I think the price is very fair.

I have the commercial version and have no issues with the number of ads for TV shows. Believe you me, there are a LOT fewer than on UK commercial TV, so if that is your reference, you won't feel inundated. (Generally speaking, each ad-break has between 1 and 3 ads, with my only gripe that they repeat the same ones).

While I don't mind ads in TV shows, especially the few that they have here, I don't like them in movies at all, so if you are also interested in their movies, go the ad-free version.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    I'd echo the thought if you're willing to pay, pay the extra for the ad free version it's a really great service and the best 8 or so quid I spend each month, but I suppose you could try going without and seeing what your tolerence level is for the ads.

I love Hulu and it has the majority of my favourite shows including WWE Raw and Smackdown there the day after air without the only big exception for me being FX content. Obviously it's a legal grey area and some would say why pay when you could just torrent, but convenience trumps all and their website is fantastic and has everything there in full HD a click away at all times. It's a really great service I wish was properly available here without work around (I'm always forgetting to top up my entropy credit card).
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's worth it at all. So many series now locks you out of certain episodes unless you can prove a US-based cable subscription. So you'll sign up to watch something and find out that episodes 1-4 of the season are locked.

If you're up to date with absolutely everything and can use the service where programmes are uploaded the next day then it might be useful but from the perspective of wanting to get into anything new - absolutely not worth it at all.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's worth it at all. So many series now locks you out of certain episodes unless you can prove a US-based cable subscription. So you'll sign up to watch something and find out that episodes 1-4 of the season are locked.

If you're up to date with absolutely everything and can use the service where programmes are uploaded the next day then it might be useful but from the perspective of wanting to get into anything new - absolutely not worth it at all.

I've never seen this with a paid subscription of Hulu. Can you give an example of a show that is affected. I've seen this plenty of times with different network's catch-up services in the US, American free-to-air television generally speaking costs money to watch over IP, but Hulu (under a sub) should generally speaking have the same affect as having a cable sub and open it all up.
  • Options
    Ben1980Ben1980 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a heads up that unblock us seem to be having issues on hulu now.

I have the proxy error on the Apple TV