Slugs are invading my kitchen!

2»

Comments

• diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Encourage hedgehogs into your garden.

The most effective way to get rid of slugs.

Other than that. The copper tape along the door sills.
    The hedgehogs are probably thinking about hibernating at the moment.

I have frogs in the back garden (well everywhere actually, keep trying to get me to tread on them, silly buggers) and they tend to disappear over winter. Though I hope they have kept the slug numbers down over summer. :)

Wouldn't expect the OP to install ponds though. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Thank you for your apologies regarding putting eggshells on your carpet.:p

Well, it wasn't very clear, but if you're feeling so insecure, here's big hugs and a massive apology. ((())) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies for late response, I don't have the internet in my house :(

We think we found where they are coming from :) We blocked up a hole in our kitchen last weekend and so far we have only found one slug in the last week, compared to ten :D

Good to know that I'm not alone with the slug problem though. It made me feel very unhygienic :( will now be putting salt down where we blocked up the hole!
  • misfittmisfitt Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Is there not a spray one can use indoors?

Every year I have a similar problem with ants. I spray raid at the start of the warm season and they are gone.

If there is a similar spray one can use indoors maybe someone could post here.
    Forum Member
    pad wrote: »
    If you can identify where they are coming from get some ahesive copper tape and lay it on the ground where they are coming in. Slugs don't like crossing copper - it works very well on my tomato planters

Urban myth apparently
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Why kill slugs?We need them in the garden.
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »
    My kitchen looks pretty slug-proof, no gaps anywhere, even around the door. But I have had problems in the past.

Though once you have one slug it leaves a trail which other slugs follow. So the answer is to use a pressure washer around all the outside walls and paths so the trail is gone.

Then use slug pellets wherever possible.

Laying salt around any possible ingress sites may work as a short term measure.

Are pellets safe to use indoors. I thought they were for outdoor use as they mix with the soil.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    misfitt wrote: »
    Are pellets safe to use indoors. I thought they were for outdoor use as they mix with the soil.

Pellets kill birds and cats. Slugs are best left alone to aerate the soil and break down organic matter.
    Forum Member
    Pellets kill birds and cats. Slugs are best left alone to aerate the soil and break down organic matter.

I was thinking of something safe the op could use to deter slugs and I remember a friend had a similar problem and were told not to use pellets.

Slugs do not like salt so maybe salt and water in a spray bottle.

I read somewhere ammonia and water may work too but once again unsure if one can use indoors.

Anyone else have any ideas?