50th anniversary needs to get the Classic/New Series balance right.

13»

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    Thats the problem with new series fans they snub the classic series go on how doctor who will be rubbish when David left and how hes the best doctor ever and the series will suck without him. Yet they forget us older fans felt the same say when Tom Baker left.

And when Davison left as well. :(

I agree though, what happens now when Doctor's leave and New Doctors are announced is massively more hyped than it was even back in the 80's. Yet those sad feelings when a Doctor leaves is the same as it was probably even back in the Sixties when Hartnell left(not that I was around then....)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I agree. I loved Tom Baker and Peter Davidson in their roles, brilliant. I know many people compare David Tennant and Tom Baker, but to be truthful the character of David's Doctor to me is much more like Jon Pertwee (Whom I also adored). Jon, if I remember right, was a very gung-ho Doctor whereas Tom's Doctor was just bonkers!!! I admit I'd love to see Matt regenerate back into David when his time is done but only because I don't feel the 10th Doctor's story is fully told yet. The same with the companions. Rose's story is told, as is Martha's, but there is still so much for the Dr.-Donna to say. Maybe there is a space in the BBC now (and I apologize if this seems insensitive) that "The Sarah Jane Adventures" has ended for "The Doctor-Donna Adventures" to be born? Maybe that would be a good gift for Dr. Who fans for the 50th anniversary. Then we could have a female Doctor, and still have the original series as well. Looking back I'd have to say my favourite Doctor is the one who brought the old into the new, Christopher Eccleston. Watchnig episodes like "Rose" and "The Unearthly Child" I think the show lost something in creating this Diety-Doctor, Something which after series 6 they have a chance to get back. So that's my lot. The CE movie, The Doctor-Donna Adventures, the specials being about the Doctor ending the time war and getting forgiveness from Galifrey and a regeneration into either the 10th again or a 12th Doctor (preferably played by James Nesbitt). Oh, and John Simm back as the Master.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    I agree. I loved Tom Baker and Peter Davidson in their roles, brilliant. I know many people compare David Tennant and Tom Baker, but to be truthful the character of David's Doctor to me is much more like Jon Pertwee (Whom I also adored). Jon, if I remember right, was a very gung-ho Doctor whereas Tom's Doctor was just bonkers!!! I admit I'd love to see Matt regenerate back into David when his time is done but only because I don't feel the 10th Doctor's story is fully told yet. The same with the companions. Rose's story is told, as is Martha's, but there is still so much for the Dr.-Donna to say. Maybe there is a space in the BBC now (and I apologize if this seems insensitive) that "The Sarah Jane Adventures" has ended for "The Doctor-Donna Adventures" to be born? Maybe that would be a good gift for Dr. Who fans for the 50th anniversary. Then we could have a female Doctor, and still have the original series as well. Looking back I'd have to say my favourite Doctor is the one who brought the old into the new, Christopher Eccleston. Watchnig episodes like "Rose" and "The Unearthly Child" I think the show lost something in creating this Diety-Doctor, Something which after series 6 they have a chance to get back. So that's my lot. The CE movie, The Doctor-Donna Adventures, the specials being about the Doctor ending the time war and getting forgiveness from Galifrey and a regeneration into either the 10th again or a 12th Doctor (preferably played by James Nesbitt). Oh, and John Simm back as the Master.

U kidding? 10's story is done, over, finished, finito. I think he stuck around long enough as it was, got quite fed up with that particular incarnation, 11's so much better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    This isn't a "who's better" thread. Good night.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joanne1938 wrote: »
    This isn't a "who's better" thread. Good night.

I dont want a Who's better thread, I just disagree that his story isnt complete
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when Davison left as well. :(

I agree though, what happens now when Doctor's leave and New Doctors are announced is massively more hyped than it was even back in the 80's. Yet those sad feelings when a Doctor leaves is the same as it was probably even back in the Sixties when Hartnell left(not that I was around then....)

Davison was a fantastic doctor. His final 2 stories id say were his best ever.

Still I wouldnt say no to him coming back for a new adventure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davison was a fantastic doctor. His final 2 stories id say were his best ever.

Still I wouldnt say no to him coming back for a new adventure.

And as proved in Timecrash he can pull it off, though I'd hope he would play something akin to his original characterisation as he was a bit out of character and a bit grouchy in that! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And as proved in Timecrash he can pull it off, though I'd hope he would play something akin to his original characterisation as he was a bit out of character and a bit grouchy in that! :D

Id actually like to see it done in a different way where he actually gets a story of his own to come back in the finale.

Then again I guess everyone would hate a type of COE based story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Id actually like to see it done in a different way where he actually gets a story of his own to come back in the finale.

Then again I guess everyone would hate a type of COE based story.

I think as many have said already that for all the Doctors to come back and have significant storylines, then they can't be squashed into one episode. Even I accept that.

But yes, for Davison to have a little section of his own in a 50th anniversary story would be quite brilliant for me. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think as many have said already that for all the Doctors to come back and have significant storylines, then they can't be squashed into one episode. Even I accept that.

But yes, for Davison to have a little section of his own in a 50th anniversary story would be quite brilliant for me. :)

For me personally Id like to see a massive story for the anniversary but instead for it to be a week long story so you get a diff episode per day for 7 days.

So you could essentuially have doctors 4 - 8 & 10 getting a episode of their own each over 6 days but Matt would obviously cameo appear at the start and the end. Then the final episode would piece each day together for a finale at the end.
  • GalifreyGalifrey Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    They could mix the old theme into the new one like they did in The Five Doctors. :)

The themes go very well together (unsurprisingly)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2Jh6ZoGro
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me personally Id like to see a massive story for the anniversary but instead for it to be a week long story so you get a diff episode per day for 7 days.

So you could essentuially have doctors 4 - 8 & 10 getting a episode of their own each over 6 days but Matt would obviously cameo appear at the start and the end. Then the final episode would piece each day together for a finale at the end.

It won't happen but you're right. A Torchwood COE type of story on nightly leading up to a finale on the anniversary itself would be ideal.

:)
    Galifrey wrote: »
    The themes go very well together (unsurprisingly)!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2Jh6ZoGro

Didn't quite have the 80's theme mixed in there!

:D