Do you like iOS7?

Comments

• linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    Do I like it?

Try Iphone 5 up for sale soon on ebay.

Any recommendations on what I can get instead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    There are more screen shots here http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/10/4407630/apple-announces-ios-7. It appears that the Forstall era is well and truly over.

And hopefully the core Apple base who have stuck with Apple for years leave and go elsewhere and show Apple they can't just churn out any old rubbish and expect a profit.
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also does it still only show 3g and lte and not H and H+ like Android phones ?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    No
    And hopefully the core Apple base who have stuck with Apple for years leave and go elsewhere and show Apple they can't just churn out any old rubbish and expect a profit.

When Scott Forstall was cuckooed out of the Apple nest, that allowed Jony Ive to take full control of the iOS design process and iOS 7 was the result. It's revolutionary rather than evolutionary and it's certainly a step away from the original Jobs/Forstall way of doing things.

The initial online response from Apple users appears to be one of polarisation - quite a few like it but many hate it. Even if it is downloaded, l can see quite a bit of jailbreaking taking place!
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do I like it?

Try Iphone 5 up for sale soon on ebay.

Any recommendations on what I can get instead?

HTC One is the poster child for Android right now.... but if you're not desperate for an app for everything I'd take a look at the Windows Phones. They're very zippy.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a screen shot of the ios7 where you can block phone calls and text message screens please ?

Here you go: http://tinypic.com/r/vsjtk3/5

In terms of operation it's completely transparent. There is no indication that a blocked contact has attempted to contact you.
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Also does it still only show 3g and lte and not H and H+ like Android phones ?
    Still just 3G it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No
    paulbrock wrote: »
    HTC One is the poster child for Android right now.... but if you're not desperate for an app for everything I'd take a look at the Windows Phones. They're very zippy.

I'm not fussed about specs more usability. The Xperia Z and Z10 Blackberry stand out for me?

Blackberry looks very much IOS like.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Very pleased to see a call blocking feature included. The icing on the cake would be for safari to allow plug-ins so that people can develop decent ad-blocking software.

That's my one major gripe with that - some sites are virtually unusable due to the pop up ads and the diverts to the app store.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need more time to form an opinion
    I think you need to get your hands on it to really form a more meaningful opinion but my initial impression is that it certainly looks fresher and cooler than IOS 6.

But as for Philip Schiller's punchy "can't innovate any more - my ass" line, I'm struggling to see *any* major innovation in anything Apple introduced yesterday. In terms of them working within their own little bubble, yes - they're bringing in new things. Unfortunately, it's all been done before by others and in some cases, quite some time ago. Unless, of course, we're expected to believe that redecorating and rearranging the furniture now passes for innovation.

BTW - apologies if the link has already been posted, but here's Ive talking about IOS 7.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    David Tee wrote: »
    I think you need to get your hands on it to really form a more meaningful opinion but my initial impression is that it certainly looks fresher and cooler than IOS 6.

But as for Philip Schiller's punchy "can't innovate any more - my ass" line, I'm struggling to see *any* major innovation in anything Apple introduced yesterday. In terms of them working within their own little bubble, yes - they're bringing in new things. Unfortunately, it's all been done before by others and in some cases, quite some time ago. Unless, of course, we're expected to believe that redecorating and rearranging the furniture now passes for innovation.

BTW - apologies if the link has already been posted, but here's Ive talking about IOS 7.
    Think he was referring to the Mac Pro. But all we really got was a sneak preview of it. Interestingly they've succumbed to massive political pressure and are building it in the US this time. But it will no doubt ship in low volumes and be extremely expensive. http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I like it so far.. http://i.imgur.com/whIlXcS.jpg
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Think he was referring to the Mac Pro. But all we really got was a sneak preview of it. Interestingly they've succumbed to massive political pressure and are building it in the US this time. But it will no doubt ship in low volumes and be extremely expensive. http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

I think you're probably right - here's some more pics of it. I'm not sure whether it's innovation but there's definitely something rather Darth Vaderish about it.

I've got an old Mac Pro (5 years) which I'll be looking to replace within the next 2-3 years but fan noise is a major consideration. So when they say there's a ruddy great fan at the top of this beast I am a tad concerned. Also 4 USB ports and 5 lightning ports? Do Apple know something about device connectivity that we don't?

Apologies for derailing the thread - back where you were with IOS 7...
  • paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes

Looks good Lucan. How come you have carrier 14.5 for EE. Is that part of iOS 7?

Does Sky Go work on iOS 7 if you happen to use it? I am going to install iOS 7 in the next couple of days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think iOS7 looks really nice and has some good features (which, quite frankly I don't care if Android have them, I've never used Android so it matters not a jot to me).

One of my biggest wishes has now come about, in that app folders now have pages in them so you can store more icons in less folders. Also, control centre will be very good. The one hand control gesture for moving between your email inbox and the mail control sidebar, and likewise in iMessage, I think is very good. Airdrop is a very good inclusion, but just a shame as a 4S and iPad3 user I won't get to use it.

The icon design looks fresh and clean and I'm so glad they retained the row and column arrangement as that suits me perfectly (I like straight lines and order).

iTunes Radio looks pretty good too, and as an iTunes Match subscriber, I will have it ad free.

I'm undecided on the photo album upgrade, but I think it will be clearer when using it than was able to be demonstrated.

So, from being an bit aprehensive that iOS was going to change into something I didn't like, I think Apple have moved it on, improved it. When it's released, it really will be like having a new phone all over again, and I cannot wait until Autumn when it's released.

One last point. Watching the whole of WWDC last night (much to the annoyance of my wife) it is very clear that many of the best features throughout the Apple product range (not just iDevices) are intended for cross-product syncing. To get the best out of the ecosystem, it really needs you to buy into that ecosystem completely. So, for people who have just one device, many of these features are of no use and hence why it may appear (to those people) that there aren't many innovative features. Just a thought.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I like it. Tear down the walls of the Apple garden, too, and I might be interested.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Just put it on my 5. Looks very nice indeed - love the smoothness of the UI
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Wondering about the price of the mac pro :)mmm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One last point. Watching the whole of WWDC last night (much to the annoyance of my wife) it is very clear that many of the best features throughout the Apple product range (not just iDevices) are intended for cross-product syncing. To get the best out of the ecosystem, it really needs you to buy into that ecosystem completely. So, for people who have just one device, many of these features are of no use and hence why it may appear (to those people) that there aren't many innovative features. Just a thought.

Yes there was a lot of cross product stuff, which is good to see, but it's what Google has been doing for a long time, and theirs is cross platform, not just on their own hardware (even to a certain extent on iOS). It's an improvement for Apple customers, but the measure of innovation is against their competitors, who already offer most of the new features you look forward to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Yes there was a lot of cross product stuff, which is good to see, but it's what Google has been doing for a long time, and theirs is cross platform, not just on their own hardware (even to a certain extent on iOS). It's an improvement for Apple customers, but the measure of innovation is against their competitors, who already offer most of the new features you look forward to.

Fair enough, but on an iOS device, it is so much easier to use inbuilt systems than to open up a 3rd party system. Apart from web searches. I never use Google services at all (I was interested in Google Now but read reports of how poor it was on iOS so I didn't bother). To be blunt, I don't really care if all of these features are available on Android, I only care about iOS and what features I can expect to use on my iDevices.

Lets not forget, mobile OSs are now a mature industry, so the early days of fantastic leaps in features we saw in the early days of iOS and Android are long gone. It's just the nature of any industry. For example, when Ford first brought out the new Focus many years ago, a lot of people got very excited, but there isn't really any excitement now each time the model is redesigned (except for motor-heads). It's the same with OSs, whenever someone on any forum tries to explain what super features would really make them excited, the lists are not usually very long. It won't be long before the new features of ANY OS update will be minimal and it will just be about doing the same thing better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think we at the apex of OS design and functionality, any more than we had reached a point where 'everything that can be invented has been invented' (attributed to a patent officer) in 1902.
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    Looks good Lucan. How come you have carrier 14.5 for EE. Is that part of iOS 7?

Does Sky Go work on iOS 7 if you happen to use it? I am going to install iOS 7 in the next couple of days

Because i'm special ha! No. it's just the iOS7 carrier update (it needs to be Beta tested too mind)

As for Sky Go (had to deregister and register the phone again) it does work.

http://i.imgur.com/xnSbZIo.png

And for the person who asked for the call blocking feature.. see below.

http://i.imgur.com/7wUrcAM.png
    http://i.imgur.com/C1uxwFm.png

Best go do some work now :rolleyes:
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yes

http://i.imgur.com/7wUrcAM.png
    http://i.imgur.com/C1uxwFm.png

Best go so some work now :rolleyes:

Three sales number will be going straight on that list once I'm on iOS7 ;)
    Forum Member
    I can think of a few also ;)
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

That was probably me, so thankyou :)

Very happy to have that feature available. Can you hear me Lowells ?

If you get a chance, does Safari look like it can accept plug-ins? Or does it have anything along the lines of decent ad-blocking?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got to have a play with iOS 7 today at work, and i do really like it. But whats funny is that NONE of the changes are original. They are all copies of either Android or even Windows phone 8 :eek:. Seriously, apple is now copying even Windows phone 8!.