Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it, it was foodfocus.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    Three days in and I feel utterly miserable. I love bread, potatoes, sausages, cheese, chocolate... not this healthy crap; I feel like throwing up after a few bites; it all tastes disgusting :(

I've been going to the gym for about 18 months now and have done well, but my diet has always been crap but when I try to change it, it makes me feel like this :(

I'm not starving myself, but denying myself some toast, or stopping myself from reaching for a biscuit with a cuppa is getting me down. I know people say don't deny, it's a lifestyle change etc. but I know if I grab a biscuit or two now, then it's a slippery slope and by next week, I'll be eating half a pack again and back to my old ways. I have about a stone and half to go before I reach my 'ideal' weight, but it's been lingering at the same number now for ages; hence trying to change my eating habits instead of focusing purely on exercise.

I love to snack, and thought I'd find this the hardest part, but it's actually been the easiest. Replacing my usual unhealthy snacks with yoghurts, some fruit, nuts, even pickled onions... it's kept the cravings at bay - it's the meals I'm hating.

Anyone got any advice? Is it just a matter of trying different things? Will my tastebuds 'improve' and start to like this stuff if I force myself to eat it? I bought so much variety last week, lots of healthy, new foods that I've never tried, and I've honestly hated them all thus far. Individually and thrown into a meal, tastes vile either way. Absolute waste of money.
    Potatoes? lol.

Potatoes are brilliant and should not be taken out of what you eat. They are what I call clean food.

Buy sweet potato too.

In 2014 June I was 23st and I am now 13st and dropping. 3 meals a day, 300cal breakfast of 100g porridge and then a clean dinner of potatoes/vegetables/salmon and curry sauce and then 3 rice cakes (tesco for flavour) and 4-5 pieces of fruit (apple, orange, etc).

Go spinning or what I do now is running.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Potatoes? lol.

Potatoes are brilliant and should not be taken out of what you eat. They are what I call clean food.

Buy sweet potato too.

In 2014 June I was 23st and I am now 13st and dropping. 3 meals a day, 300cal breakfast of 100g porridge and then a clean dinner of potatoes/vegetables/salmon and curry sauce and then 3 rice cakes (tesco for flavour) and 4-5 pieces of fruit (apple, orange, etc).

Go spinning or what I do now is running.

Well done on that loss.

I couldnt eat what you eat, it would make me ravenous. I get very hungry after eating porridge, and potatoes and rice cakes also make me crave food. Im personally better off leaving foods like that out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Well done on that loss.

I couldnt eat what you eat, it would make me ravenous. I get very hungry after eating porridge, and potatoes and rice cakes also make me crave food. Im personally better off leaving foods like that out.
    I still have the odd bit of sugary thing but that is the main thing to try and not consume as much is sugar or even more important, fructose corn syrup.

Make sure you get plenty of fibre into what you eat. The food like Cadburys etc is empty calories, they don't have good fibre and other great stuff for the stomach.

Try Almond nuts, a handful of raisins (natural sugar). Anything high with beta glucan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still have the odd bit of sugary thing but that is the main thing to try and not consume as much is sugar or even more important, fructose corn syrup.

Make sure you get plenty of fibre into what you eat. The food like Cadburys etc is empty calories, they don't have good fibre and other great stuff for the stomach.

Try Almond nuts, a handful of raisins (natural sugar). Anything high with beta glucan.

I dont really eat huge amounts of chocolate.

I eat lots of nuts, I wouldnt eat raisins though, they set off my IBS!
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I stopped taking sugar in my tea last year and I think that's had an effect and contributed to my weight loss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped taking sugar in my tea last year and I think that's had an effect and contributed to my weight loss.
    I think if you limit it in general it will help hugely. That isn't to say you can't eat chocolate again or ice cream etc lol. You can, just not all the time and in huge amounts all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you limit it in general it will help hugely. That isn't to say you can't eat chocolate again or ice cream etc lol. You can, just not all the time and in huge amounts all the time.

That depends on how certain foods (not just sugar) affects you. As I say, I cant touch porridge, it makes me crave foods, if I eat it for breakfast, I am really hungry by about 10ish. So I have learnt what foods to avoid to avoid cravings. Its like heroin for me certain foods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind over matter. Try a different breakfast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind over matter. Try a different breakfast.

I dont eat porridge for that very reason, I dont need to try a different breakfast I have other things!

Its not mind over matter, there is lots of research out there that some people are affected by the foods they eat and for some people, cutting those out, like an alcoholic cuts out alcohol is what works for them. I am one of those people and know what works for me.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was easy for me as I don't really have a sweet tooth for cakes, sweets and chocolate. I do like those things but I'm more a savoury person.

With tea I can have as much as 10 cups a day, so 20 tsp of sugar, a 1kg bag every 10 days or 36 bags a year.
    Just thinking of how much I was consuming makes me sick.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back on my diet after a blip over Christmas. Weighed myself the other day and I'd put on 1.5lb. I had started a serious diet at the end of November and had lost 13.5lb by 22nd December. With any luck I'll have reached my stone by this time next week (including dropping that 1.5lb gain).

I have cut out chocolate and crisp and other crap I used for a quick energy boost. I'm still trying to find a good balance for my digestive system, which is what led to my weight gain in the bloody first place.
    But I still have spuds and bread, which are my favourites. I love carbs. I just cook my food differently. No more frying! Or fried with that 1cal spray. My dinner plate is usually a quarter filled with meat, another with spuds, and half of it veggies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    I'm back on my diet after a blip over Christmas. Weighed myself the other day and I'd put on 1.5lb. I had started a serious diet at the end of November and had lost 13.5lb by 22nd December. With any luck I'll have reached my stone by this time next week (including dropping that 1.5lb gain).

I have cut out chocolate and crisp and other crap I used for a quick energy boost. I'm still trying to find a good balance for my digestive system, which is what led to my weight gain in the bloody first place.
    But I still have spuds and bread, which are my favourites. I love carbs. I just cook my food differently. No more frying! Or fried with that 1cal spray. My dinner plate is usually a quarter filled with meat, another with spuds, and half of it veggies.

That 1.5 lb will only be water, dont worry about that.

Me and my OH lost a lot of weight the other year by focusing on huge amounts of veg, I was eating '10 a day' and it was brilliant. Unfortunately I got quite ill and now am on medication which made my cravings dreadful so I put it all back on. But Im starting again now.
  • Options
    azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I haven't actually got on the scales since before Christmas and I think I will give it another week before I do. However I have been steadily gaining all last year from my life long 9ish stone give or take a couple of pounds either way up to 10st just before Christmas. Now I'm at a bit of a loss because I do more exercise than ever, plenty of cycling, swimming, running and a very active job which can have me walking 10 hours a day. I'll admit my diet could be better but it's certainly no worse than in the past so like I say I'm at a bit of a loss.
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    That 1.5 lb will only be water, dont worry about that.

Me and my OH lost a lot of weight the other year by focusing on huge amounts of veg, I was eating '10 a day' and it was brilliant. Unfortunately I got quite ill and now am on medication which made my cravings dreadful so I put it all back on. But Im starting again now.

I'm hoping its water. Although I am also on iron tablets again and they give me awful constipation, so I think it could be that. It's a week since I emptied my bowel, and I'm just about to crack open the lactulose.

I've been poorly, and it's the cravings that made me gain the weight in the first place. I know how awful that can be. I crave sugar, my anaemia means I'm constantly feeling sluggish and tired, so I'm always after a quick energy boost. And like a pillock, I relied on chocolate and sugary coffee. And now I'm 3 stone heavier than I should be and my diet (up until November) involved starving all day and pigging out at night.

Weight loss so far has been easy enough, but I think it's because I've had such a drastic change. Lost nearly a stone in 5weeks, and I'm eating far more now than I was when I was gaining weight.
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to those on the 2016 version of the weight loss thread. A few of us on the 2015 version stuck with it and lost loads. I personally lost 9st 3.19lbs and I am now a 33/34 waist (was a 46).

I feel so much better, I sleep so much better and I don't dread going to buy clothes anymore. Although it's expensive to keep replacing all your clothes. :p

Don't totally cut everything 'bad' out of your diet. Have one day a week that you can eat what you want (within reason don't binge) and still have the occasional takeaway maybe on pay day.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just weighed myself for the first time in months. I thought I was about 12 stones, which is already too much for my 5 foot 1 female body. I am 12 stone 8! I am so worried about the health implications - I have been feeling very breathless and now I know why. I worry about Type 2 diabetes.

I need to spend 2016 getting back some self control. I had already decided not to drink booze until mid Feb (love the vino) and cut out treats, and reduce portions, but now I think I am going to have to go much further and really do something longer term about my attitude to food and indulgence and lack of self control and respect for my body and health. Otherwise I am just going to get fatter and fatter.

I am a 50 year old woman, and I suppose I am peri menopausal, which brings its own challenges to weight loss, but I think I have to accept that you need less calories when you are older, and you need to stay fit. I actually do not think I will lose masses of weight, but I do need to improve fitness and reduce the bad stuff in my diet.

Good luck everybody in the journey to good healthy ways in 2016.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck to everyone on their weight loss this year

As someone who over the last 2 years who has gone from 18-19 stone down to 13st 10 ( at my lowest) I know what it takes to lose serious amounts of weight. I work out 6 times a week

I injured my back through work at the beginning of November which laid me off till the start of this year I'm now weighing 15.11 as of yesterday morning due to not being able exercise and my healthy eating going right out the window I'm now back on the clean eating which consists of

Porridge and a scoop of protein powder for breakfast
    protein shake at 10 am
    chicken and broccoli for lunch
    three scrambled eggs at 3 pm
    then a banana pre bootcamp at about 6.30pm
    a shake after bootcamp
    and then chicken and either broccoli or sweet potato mash at 9.00ish
    plus about 3 litres of water a day

I just need to incorporate a few more different veg types into my diet (which will be easy as I love veg plus stop me getting bored )

aim for this year is not so mch weight loss but fat loss (and to finally get that six pack ;))
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Good luck Bermondseybrick^^^^

Ages ago I started a thread asking for examples of people who have successfully lost weight and then kept it off for an extended period of time (at least 3 years). Because I do worry from reading these posts that we all seem to go through the same cycle; we decide to lose weight, put a lot of effort into changing our lifestyle, have success but then 'something' happens that mean we can't exercise/eat healthily anymore and fall back into the same patterns and put it all back on again.

I'm really searching for a way that I can fundamentally change my life that will result in weight loss that isnt' dependent on gym routines or really strict diets that you have to constantly monitor. I know it's possible because I see people around me all the time who stay a reasonable weight but seem to put very little effort into it. Yes, they may put on a few pounds over holidays or if they're out drinking a lot but usually all it takes is a couple of months of healthy living and they're back to normal.

I know that some of it is genetics but the rest must be psychological. Basically we spend all our time worrying about exercise and diet when really we should be worrying about our mental state.
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Good luck Bermondseybrick^^^^

Ages ago I started a thread asking for examples of people who have successfully lost weight and then kept it off for an extended period of time (at least 3 years). Because I do worry from reading these posts that we all seem to go through the same cycle; we decide to lose weight, put a lot of effort into changing our lifestyle, have success but then 'something' happens that mean we can't exercise/eat healthily anymore and fall back into the same patterns and put it all back on again.

I'm really searching for a way that I can fundamentally change my life that will result in weight loss that isnt' dependent on gym routines or really strict diets that you have to constantly monitor. I know it's possible because I see people around me all the time who stay a reasonable weight but seem to put very little effort into it. Yes, they may put on a few pounds over holidays or if they're out drinking a lot but usually all it takes is a couple of months of healthy living and they're back to normal.

I know that some of it is genetics but the rest must be psychological. Basically we spend all our time worrying about exercise and diet when really we should be worrying about our mental state.

I know it sounds like a cliché but you really have to commit a lifestyle change (I have despite the blip over Christmas)if it wasn't for the injury id still be in the high 13 low 14 range . I genuinely love working out now. Whereas before I started this lifestyle all I did was sit on my ass and eat pizza and take away and did zero exercise. AS for the mental aspect side of it again sounds simplistic but the better you look the better you do feel about yourself when I was at my lowest weight I felt invincible (and I have had on occasions self esteem issues) but not anymore

I'm working out at a bootcamp 6 times a week with a bunch of people that make you want to go back again and again which is what I was doing when I lost the most weight with less sessions

I don't necessarily struggle with healthy eating per se but I do get bored and that's totally on me because I tend to stick the same foods and routine every day. I like enough different types of food to have a varied and healthy diet without being hungry in fact I tend to struggle with eating enough at times

my advice would be
    exercise is a must (once you start to see results it becomes addictive) find something you enjoy for me its bootcamp I cant abide the gym or long distance running

diet is probably the most important thing (yeah I know its obvious;-))
    making HEALTHY and VAIRED food is the key don't religiously stick to the same foods everyday that's a sure fire way to start wanting to binge

Hate to say this as I've seen this advice on this thread before and last years thread sadly you do have to deny yourself the things that are bad for you (Personally I have a mega sweet tooth and have a weakness for Gregg's cream doughnuts) but you cannot eat "bad" food but in saying that give yourself a cheat meal once a week for dinner eat whatever you want and enjoy every scrap of it

sorry for the essay :blush:

TL : DR
    eat healthy exercise hard no bad foods
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I need to lose 3-4 stone so that's my plan for the year.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I will be starting next week when I go back to work (I still have Christmas 'bad food' in the house this week and I'm on leave, so I'm likely to eat it!)

I need to lose 1.5 to 2 stone. Mind you, I said that last year too. Hopefully this year might be better!

Good luck to everyone else starting and to those who are already well on the road (especially Sun Tzu, who is an inspiration!)
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joining Slimming World tonight and back to the gym. I do enjoy exercise and I was really fit a few years ago but I'm the fatest I've ever been just now. Don't ever weigh myself so I'm hoping the shame will help...:blush:
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Reserved wrote: »

I love to snack, and thought I'd find this the hardest part, but it's actually been the easiest. Replacing my usual unhealthy snacks with yoghurts, some fruit, nuts, even pickled onions... it's kept the cravings at bay - it's the meals I'm hating.

Anyone got any advice? Is it just a matter of trying different things? Will my tastebuds 'improve' and start to like this stuff if I force myself to eat it? I bought so much variety last week, lots of healthy, new foods that I've never tried, and I've honestly hated them all thus far. Individually and thrown into a meal, tastes vile either way. Absolute waste of money.

I've lost a couple of stones by fasting only, either 5:2 or Alternate Day Fasting, ( eating 500 cals, or 600 for men on a fast day).That has worked for me up until now with no change to the types of foods that I eat on non fast days. I only needed to watch the amount I ate when I fasted 2 days a week.
    That suited me, and the weight came off steadily.
    The last few weeks I've been less well behaved, strangely happened when I hit a new low weight. Anyway I'm back fasting alternate days, so hopefully the weight loss will restart.

If you feel that you need to change your diet maybe try a healthy breakfast and lunch, and relax a bit at dinner. What do your menus look like at the moment?