Options

Diazepam

rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
Forum Member
Just got prescribed a small amount of these and told to only take them when I need them. The only info I got in the box was a sticker on the box telling me the max dose. I've had to read up about it all online. Would just like to know how long it takes for the tablets to start working? There's conflicting advise, some sites say straight away/very quickly and some say a few hours. It's the 2mg tablets. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2mg is nothing if your just taking one at a time, they do help with anxiety but for such a small dosage I don't get any effect on that.

5mg is better but they don't like prescribing them as they can be addictive. I had atarax last time but they can make you a bit sleepy but I only got a small amount of them to.

I'd have diazapam every day of the week at 5mg but I've no chance of getting that to help my anxiety.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Yeh I wanted a higher dose as its horrendously bad at the moment but that's all I could get. He didn't even want to give me any at all.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes about an hour to work, but 2mg is quite a low dose so you may not feel anything beyond slightly relaxed.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    the first time i took 2mg of diazapam i felt pissed and was very wobbly.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Diazepam is supposed to be fast acting, but I guess it will still be dependant on your body type.
    For me a 5mg tablet takes about 15 mins to work its magic.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol is a much better relaxant.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 mg may be a small dose, but for someone who hasn't taken it before, it can be quite effective at that dose, and it acts quite quickly (about 15 minutes, I found). Unfortunately, if you keep taking it, you need higher doses to obtain the same effect, so it's best kept for emergencies.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It takes about an hour to work, but 2mg is quite a low dose so you may not feel anything beyond slightly relaxed.

It takes minutes to work if you chew the tablet rather than swallow it.
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »

That's very poor advice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    don`t follow this idiotic advice.

it`s a stimulant in small doses and is certainly not a better relaxant than valium.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diazapam certianly shouldn't be used for more than a few weeks, benzodiazepines are very addictictive and worse still, the worst drug to get off, even worse than heroin, and the withdrawal can kill you, that's why GPs prescribe anti-depressants rather than tranquilizers for anxiety.
  • Options
    funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    It takes minutes to work if you chew the tablet rather than swallow it.

That's very poor advice

I chew mine and find they work very quickly this way. Do you know any relaxation techniques? Just taking the tablets and hoping for everything to get better, well, there are better ways. I try to use a relaxation technique at the same time as taking them. Then, once the peak of the anxiety has passed I try to write down a heading of what made me anxious and some bullet points for what I can do about that situation. Sometimes the bullet points are split into short, mid, and long term actions to take. Having a check list I can tick off has been useful.

Any techniques you find useful, keep them in a little note book. Keep referring back to the notebook when you get anxious. Whilst in the middle of an anxiety attack it is very hard to think of what will bring you out of it. If you have techniques that have worked for you written down, it can be enough to jolt you or remind you of them to start trying.

Life is hard. Things will happen to make you anxious. How you deal with the anxiety and how it impacts your life can be worked on.

Do you have any counselling, or a CBT referral, or even just someone you can talk to who understands mental health issues? Having a real life person to talk to can make a massive difference and I recommend that you seek out this support if you don't already have it, or make use of it if you have access.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh I wanted a higher dose as its horrendously bad at the moment but that's all I could get. He didn't even want to give me any at all.

I'm in ths same position as you. I literally had to speak to my doctor I think 5 times in the end to get him to relent and prescribe me 2mg of Diazepam for my anxiety and even then I was told to only take it when I am really really bad. I wanted Diazepam as I knew it worked for me because my mother has simlar issues to me and is on them and when I have been so bad I had taken it to calm me down.

My doctor is new as my old one retired and totally useless. Not aware at all of my problems and not interested tbh. Long story there. I got given 10 and I find for me they work quite quickly. They just make me calm down. If I am really bad I take more than one. It's fine as 2mg is very low.

I eeked them out over a month, that was really hard but I know he won't prescribe me more. Now I have run out. I am going to ask for more on the off chance he will give them to me. It's the only thing that has worked for me when I am in such a state of anxiety.

Just take one when you need to then see how you feel. For me the effect was quite quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Such stupid advice!!! I am now a recovering alcoholic after using alchohol for years to self medicate. Not only did I become an alcoholic I have damaged my liver and have been lef with peripheral neauropathy from that.
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ignore
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    marieukxx wrote: »
    Such stupid advice!!! I am now a recovering alcoholic after using alchohol for years to self medicate. Not only did I become an alcoholic I have damaged my liver and have been lef with peripheral neauropathy from that.

I'm sorry to hear that, but please be careful with the diazepam. My father become horribly addicted to it and found it much harder to quit the pills than the alcohol.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on Diazepam from age 18 to age 40 and only managed to come off by reducing my dose extremely gradually - I think that I was up to 30mg daily at one point. I eventually got right down to my body accepting just a quarter of a 2mg tablet, but I then had to have hypnotherapy to completely kick the addiction.

Now, at the age of 73, I have various nerve problems, including polyneuropathy, which I know would be greatly helped with Valium, but as others have said, GPs are most reluctant to prescribe the stuff, and even than small quantities of the 2mg tablet.

Obviously, at this age, I wouldn't worry too much at having to take it for the rest of my life if it gave me greater comfort. It's the same with cannabis, of course. It is utterly galling that kids can take as much as they fancy at nightclubs, but those of us whose lives would be more comfortable if we could get it, are denied that privilege. I can empathise with Izzy in Coronation Street, although I dare say she needs it more than I ever would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alycidon wrote: »
    It's the same with cannabis, of course. It is utterly galling that kids can take as much as they fancy at nightclubs, but those of us whose lives would be more comfortable if we could get it, are denied that privilege. I can empathise with Izzy in Coronation Street, although I dare say she needs it more than I ever would.

it`s not a clubbing drug.

you are not denied it any more than anyone else, you just don`t have contacts and based on your knowledge here i`d say you were best not trying.

i have neuropathy on and off and weed doesn`t seem to affect it one way or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »

Yes but benzos are no better.

CBT and/or anti-depressants are best for anxiety.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it`s not a clubbing drug.

you are not denied it any more than anyone else, you just don`t have contacts and based on your knowledge here i`d say you were best not trying.

i have neuropathy on and off and weed doesn`t seem to affect it one way or another.

Thanks for that, Annette.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alycidon wrote: »
    Thanks for that, Annette.

my pleasure.

there`s no point in starting something that will maybe freak you out and sometimes cannabis makes pain worse not better, it varies between strain, brain and pain.

either way i would not advise it unless you are with people you trust and who have experience and knowledge of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my pleasure.

there`s no point in starting something that will maybe freak you out and sometimes cannabis makes pain worse not better, it varies between strain, brain and pain.

either way i would not advise it unless you are with people you trust and who have experience and knowledge of it.

Don't worry. I'm not going to do so. I'm too old in the tooth for that. Ho! Ho!
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,768
    Forum Member
    Heck I take 25mga day and they barely help. I've become so tolerant in them that I need more and more to have any effect.

Pls be careful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Yes but benzos are no better.

CBT and/or anti-depressants are best for anxiety.

I have been on anti-depressants for many many years, had CBT. Unfortunately I have a lot of mental health problems. As I said I don't take them daily. I only take them when needed. 10 lasted me a month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people were abusing the "legal high" versions of these drugs as well, some real horror stories.
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Please be careful with diazepam - as other mentioned, it can be very addictive for certain people.