Foam ear plug recommendation

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm sorted for the wax type but looking for some foam ones for their (iirc) MUCH easier insertion/removal (wax ones being a right bitch to fit right so they don't become dislodged when you move your jaw). So to you foam users, what work best for you. Comfyness be damned, I'm just after sound suppressing (upstairs neighbour drops things LIKE ALL THE FRIKKIN TIME, and scrapes chairs and tables across their uncarpetted floor, so it's either ear plugs or a voodoo doll)

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live in a high rise by a very busy road that is just up the road from the city main hospital and a police station so you can imagine the noise levels i endure, i tend to use laser lite ear plugs they do the job and stay put too.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-50-PAIRS-HOWARD-LEIGHT-LASER-LITE-EAR-PLUGS-IN-2-RESEALABLE-PACKETS-/381629057471?hash=item58dadd49bf:g:AwoAAOSwKPNTy6XY
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darn it, wished I'd checked back here. Just eBayed "Mack's Original Soft Foam Earplugs 3 pairs Sleep Work Study Travel Shooting". Although if your brand has copywrited(?) their colour scheme then I think I might have tried those one before. - noisy flats suck, right ?! :( - although high rises do give you a view. :)
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    wax earplugs may be a bit harder to insert but personally find them so much more effective than the memory foam ones, which i find fall out alot easier

i've been using wax earplugs for a few years now and only wish i had thought about using them sooner

i use these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quies-Boules-Natural-Earplugs-Pairs/dp/B009F0AO3Y
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're preaching to the choir there mimik1uk, I've been saved from going mad by the Quies wax ear plugs for years. It's just those work brilliantly when upstairs assohle was having a dance music marathon, but now I'm just trying to escape the light footsteps of new peoples tiny tot running back and forth and I'm thinking some foam ones will be sufficient to block that out. Though great, the Quies ones aren't good for repeated insertion and removal to check if the noise is still going, and you can't really listen to your own music whilst wearing them.
    btw: have you bought yourself a vibrating alarm clock - it was the next thing I bought after the Quies since they're so good they block out me alarm beeping. Now with my v.a.c. under me pillow I'm guaranteed to wake up at the desired time. :)
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    I bought the variety pack (or whatever it's called) from snorestore and tried them all. Some were comfy but not so effective, some were really effective but hurt (which is no good for sleeping). For me, the best compromise between effectiveness and comfort was Spark Plugs, but everyone's ear canal is a different shape so you really have to experiment yourself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ darn my uniquely shaped ear canals. :p

waiting on the following eBayed items.

Mack's Original Soft Foam Earplugs 3 pairs Sleep Work Study Travel Shooting
    Ear Plugs Sleep 7 Pairs Custom Soft Silicone Ear Plugs Hush Plugz + FREE P+P

and if they don't do the trick I'll ebay on of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-32-34-Hot-Quality-Aluminium-Softball-Baseball-Bat-Lightweight-Youth-Adult-/201311653098?var=&hash=item2edf1c0cea:m:m99yiO2eUKIobEHcGmyFZkA and go upstairs to have a "word" with my neighbour. :cool:
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Although if your brand has copywrited(?)

Since you asked, it's "copyright" - referring to the right to copy. Easy, huh? ;)

And, you might like to dig out the lengthy discussion about earplugs that I think ran last year.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,920
    Forum Member
    I use 3M 1100 foam earplugs. They're dirt cheap and great for blocking out all but the most extreme bangs and crashes. Switched to them a couple of years back and haven't needed to look elsewhere since:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-3M-1100-Ear-Plugs/dp/B007YFOW7G/

Each pair usually lasts about 3 nights before being binned, but at 14p a pair that's fine.