Options

The Masque of Mandragora

chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
Forum Member
✭✭
Watched the DVD last night. First time I've seen that story for yeeeeears.

Loved it. What a fun, likeable, jolly little story.

The Doctor has some hilarious dialogue; the baddies are proper boo-hiss baddies; Sarah is on good form; the new Tardis interior is likeable; Portmeirion looks gorgeous (I have been on the Portmeirion websiot this morning, and a hoping to visit shortly); Stuart Fell gets to play about three diffrent roles; there's a bit of repressed sexuality going on between Giuliano and Marco; the costumes are great; there's some fun swordfights and horse-chases ... great fun.

The big disappointment is the ending, where it seems very much as if
the Doctor has spent a couple of scenes disguised as Heironymous, during which time the Brethren have zapped loads of dancers and then the Brethren themselves get zapped by the Helix. The Doctor seems to be standing by and watching all of this whilst pretending to be Heironymous. On the documentary, the director states that Tom Baker was determined that the Doctor should not kill anyone during swordfights ... but it seems he was happy for the Doctor to be complicit in the death of at least a dozen other people!
Another problem with the ending, which the producer acknowledges in the documentary, is that
there's no real show-down between the Doctor and Heironymous, and Heironymous's defeat happens offscreen. it's all a bit unclear.

Despite that, Masque is enormous fun, and I can recommend to all.

Comments

• Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always been one of my favourites. There's really not much not to love about it. As you say, it just looks gorgeous and the Doctor / Sarah pairing is, by this point, really at its peak. Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen just seem so wonderfully natural with each other and really work well together (such a shame she was to leave in the next story!)

Really looking forward to getting it on DVD.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masque is one of my all-time favourites too.

Beautifully filmed in and around Portmeirien too.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrific TARDIS redesign. They should have kept it longer. Along with the McGann movie version, definitely my favourite console room designs-the Jules Verne look really works for Doctor Who.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourites too. I've always loved the line, 'Had a hard day in the catacombs, Hieronymous?' and the bit about being taught to fight by Cleopatra's bodyguard. Now that would be a story...
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have fond memories of Masque of Mandragora, though they're a little vague now. Odd; my recollection of many earlier episodes is much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    I've always loved the line, 'Had a hard day in the catacombs, Hieronymous?'

Yes! The story is jammed full of really funny dialogue ("I wouldn't say no to a salami sandwich") and little visual jokes (the Doctor is carrying a salami when he leaves!).

My favourite bit is probably when Sarah is zonked out on the sacrificial altar, and the Doctor pulls her off it, feet first. the way she gradually begins to slip offscreen made Mrs Chuff and me laugh out loud.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have fond memories of Masque of Mandragora, though they're a little vague now. Odd; my recollection of many earlier episodes is much better.

Same with me.

I remember liking it a great deal but can't recall the actual content all that well.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I first saw MoM on satellite tv last year and I realised that Gareth Armstrong who plays Guiliano also did the voice of Sandy on the English dubbing for that old Japanese tv show Monkey!!
  • Options
    FangsterFangster Posts: 357
    Forum Member

Try here to refresh your memory! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9069C1F9A
  • Options
    cobaltmalecobaltmale Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrific TARDIS redesign. They should have kept it longer.

They didn't have any choice - the set warped in storage between "Robots of Death" and "The Invisible Enemy".

G
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I always loved it until I re-watched it (for the first time since the show returned in 2005) again last week, when I realised it was VERY slow, even if it did look very nice, and the last episode was very lame, with no real climax. Sometimes, I really shouldn't watch the old episodes again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's all that slow. Slower than new stuff, yeah, but not in comparison with 70s stuff. You're right about the climax though (see my initial post).

I watched some Blake's Seven last night, and Gareth Armstrong was there again. It took me a while to recognise him, even though it's only about 2 days since I saw him in DW, and the DW was recorded at the same kind of time as B7! Maybe it was the lack of wig that confused me. :o
  • Options
    mikkyhmikkyh Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who was my first ever classic who episode. I've never stopped watching the old series since.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always remember when the last episode was shown I was on holiday staying in a B&B with no TV and in the days before video you had to so something so I swanned into one of the big hotels on the seafront and sat down in the the TV lounge praying no-one would either spot I didn't belong or change the channel.
    It was a bit slow looking back but then we're used to all-action now with everything done and explained in under an hour, then you had half an hour or so and had to hold it in your mind for a week before the next one and you remembered the important bits. It really was one of the most visually stunning serials, I've been to Portmeirion since and it's a wonderful place. Besides that the costumes were terrrific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fangster wrote: »
    Try here to refresh your memory! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW9069C1F9A

Wow, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll definitely be setting some time aside to watch those!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the first episode tonight. It's even better than I remember :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched "Beneath The Masque" "comedy sketch" last night.

Obviously Gareth Roberts and Clayton Hickman have a close friendship with teh DVD producers, as I can't think of any other reason why something so self-indulgent and unfunny would be allowed onto a professionally released DVD under any other circumstances.

GR and CH are clearly having the time of their lives, wearing wigs and pretending to be Blue Peter presenters and characters from The Prisoner ... I just wish I was having even half as much fun watching them.
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched "Beneath The Masque" "comedy sketch" last night.

Obviously Gareth Roberts and Clayton Hickman have a close friendship with teh DVD producers, as I can't think of any other reason why something so self-indulgent and unfunny would be allowed onto a professionally released DVD under any other circumstances.

GR and CH are clearly having the time of their lives, wearing wigs and pretending to be Blue Peter presenters and characters from The Prisoner ... I just wish I was having even half as much fun watching them.

Agreed. As DVD extras go it was just a big pile of fail. Do they turn up on any of the others?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clayton Hickman is the presenter bod on some of the commentaries, and both of them sometimes crop up on talking heads interviews in the documentaries.

Their "famous fan" status has obviously got them promoted to making their own material, and it was self-indulgent in the extreme. Some of the comedy stuff on the DVDs is really very poor. The City of Death one isn't very good. Green Death and Pyramids of Mars have very funny comedy stuff, but Masque is another one for the rubbish bin.

I suspect CH and GR were commissioned by their DVD producer mates.