Options

virgin in the bedroom ( pardon the phrase)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
Hi we are thinking of putting a virgin box in bedroom for watching the boxing etc when its on at 2 am etc, I notice people sell them on e bay is this allowed and surely you will need a card or could i just take the one downstairs up i dont really need another full subscription box its just for now and then i have the v+hd box downstairs and dont want to trail it up and down the cables are no prob to do it:)

Comments

• Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to use a box from eBay, as they shouldn't be sold there. If you've had your new viewing card then you'll definately not be able to use one from eBay.

I'm not sure if you can keep moving boxes from one room to another, I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm sure someone that knows will be along soon....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »
    You won't be able to use a box from eBay, as they shouldn't be sold there. If you've had your new viewing card then you'll definately not be able to use one from eBay.

I'm not sure if you can keep moving boxes from one room to another, I wouldn't have thought so, but I'm sure someone that knows will be along soon....

i dont want to move boxes if i put a splitter from downstairs i was just wondering if i got second box upstairs and took my card from downstairs to up if it would work
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been covered many times before. I wonder why it is becoming an issue now??!!

The cards and boxes are paired. You cannot use the card from one box in another.

Only boxes subscribed to and with a valid paired card will now work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its an issue because obviously i never saw previous threads, that said thanks for saving me wasting my money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    skiddly wrote: »
    its an issue because obviously i never saw previous threads, that said thanks for saving me wasting my money.

You could always look at getting an AV sender or run a coax cable upstairs from the back of the box (depending on which box you have) and watch it in the bedroom that way. You can control it using the remote too.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Amusing thread title :D;)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just move the boxes about as we have 2 virgin cables, one to bedroom and one to living room, as my laptop etc is set up in the bedroom the virgin box is in there, when needed in the living room i just move it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hometech wrote: »
    You could always look at getting an AV sender or run a coax cable upstairs from the back of the box (depending on which box you have) and watch it in the bedroom that way. You can control it using the remote too.

so it doesnt have to be via a scrt socket then just a coax to the tv upstairs oh and i have the v+hd box its only a week old
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just move the boxes about as we have 2 virgin cables, one to bedroom and one to living room, as my laptop etc is set up in the bedroom the virgin box is in there, when needed in the living room i just move it

i can get a cable to the bedroom no probs just didnt want to be connecting and dissconnecting the box downstairs
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can get a cable to the bedroom no probs just didnt want to be connecting and dissconnecting the box downstairs

we've been doing it for over two years and never had any bother with it
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An AV sender would definitely be the best solution in your situation.

Though if you have wifi in your house that may affect the signal - it basically stopped mine working.
  • Options
    boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Can't help you but the thread title looks great when it's on the front page :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Hi we are thinking of putting a virgin box in bedroom for watching the boxing etc when its on at 2 am etc, I notice people sell them on e bay is this allowed and surely you will need a card or could i just take the one downstairs up i dont really need another full subscription box its just for now and then i have the v+hd box downstairs and dont want to trail it up and down the cables are no prob to do it:)

Mate i got this for my mums house and it works great.
    And she has a wireless router so goes ok.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=WIRELESS+AV+SENDER
  • Options
    Forum Member
    so it doesnt have to be via a scrt socket then just a coax to the tv upstairs oh and i have the v+hd box its only a week old

Do you know if it is a Samsung or Scientific Atlanta? Does it have RF out in and out feeds on the back?
  • Options
    bet lynchbet lynch Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

not sure if someone has already answered your question but I have a virgin FREE box which they put in ffor me and I dont pay a subscription on , just receive the freeview channels on it ( reason for this is we bought a tv for the bedroom with built in freeview channels but live in an area with no freeview reception , so the virgin box enables me to watch the other channels ...I have a sky subscription downstairs but didnt want to pay them for multi room )
    anyway , when boxing etc is on we can still do a pay per view on the virgin box upstairs if we want to
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bet lynch wrote: »
    not sure if someone has already answered your question but I have a virgin FREE box which they put in ffor me and I dont pay a subscription on , just receive the freeview channels on it ( reason for this is we bought a tv for the bedroom with built in freeview channels but live in an area with no freeview reception , so the virgin box enables me to watch the other channels ...I have a sky subscription downstairs but didnt want to pay them for multi room )
    anyway , when boxing etc is on we can still do a pay per view on the virgin box upstairs if we want to

You are a TV M customer which is free as you say. This is not pertinent to the OP's situation as he is a paying TV customer of Virgin Media and will have to pay for multiroom, like you would have had to have done with Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you know if it is a Samsung or Scientific Atlanta? Does it have RF out in and out feeds on the back?

Hi its a samsung v+hd box and no rf out but i think ive solved prob, its connected to tv via hd cable and if i get hd cable from box to tv in bedroom directly above and leave box set to channel i require then all should work or am i wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi its a samsung v+hd box and no rf out but i think ive solved prob, its connected to tv via hd cable and if i get hd cable from box to tv in bedroom directly above and leave box set to channel i require then all should work or am i wrong?

You could do that. You could get an HDMI splitter.

You could also buy an RF modulator. Scart from V+ VCR socket into modulator then run a coax cable from modulator. You could then get a remote extender and you would be able to change channels in the bedroom.

Sounds a lot but it's not as expensive as it sounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could do that. You could get an HDMI splitter.

You could also buy an RF modulator. Scart from V+ VCR socket into modulator then run a coax cable from modulator. You could then get a remote extender and you would be able to change channels in the bedroom.

Sounds a lot but it's not as expensive as it sounds.

many thanks i think that will be the route i take, where is best for the bits and pieces any electrical store,
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are not worried about being able to change the channel then you you can get a HDMI to cat5 convertor. You need two network cables installed between where the V+ box is and your bedroom. But these are dead easy/relativily cheap to install, what I did was drill to outside, run the cable next to drainpipe and then back in upstairs. Took around two hours.

http://www.cables-leads.co.uk/hdmi-over-ethernet-extender-30m?___store=default
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bought a hdmi splitter and long hdmi cable connected both tvs and nothing on either, put downstairs tv in on own and perfect, put upstairs tv in on own perfect tried both together again nothing on any but getting closer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does the splitter have power with it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does the splitter have power with it?

no just an ordinary splitter is this the problem
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    boxx wrote: »
    Can't help you but the thread title looks great when it's on the front page :D

I know, I rarely look at this forum but when I saw the thread I felt I just had to read it :D