ISP - internet service PROTOCOL - wrong!!

Comments

• JTWJTW Posts: 41,922
    Forum Member
    I made some huge claims on The Apprentice, and they all checked out with the exception of one sticking point.

I maintain, and have had confirmed by several sources that as per my CV my company is "fully licensed".

The argument over wether or not being an ISP makes you a telecoms provider is a red herring as we don't just do Internet.

We own and operate fixed line telecoms services as well, for instance we also own a directory enquiries number 118 675 (which will be data filled and live Q2 2011), as well as geographic numbering for use with our VoIP services.

As has also been pointed out, we are referenced several times within an Isle of Man Government report http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/government/consultations/telecomfinalreport.pdf

I think / hope it is now widely excepted that the reason I was fired is complete bullshit. Wether or not I will ever receive an apology is another matter.

Don't get me wrong, it was my time to go (in fact the week before would have been about right), but the reason they found wasn't a reason at all. My CV checked out and they had to push a small point home and blow it out of all proportion. A point that is in fact, totally incorrect in the first place.

I hope that people will see I have been the victim here rather than the perpetrator.

s

yep...of course you are the victim here.

You were set up to get the ratings in as the entertainment and then stitched up without even having a chance to explain yourself next to SA's so called experts.

How could you ever have a chance against them, uh?

Even the public all believe in the credentials of the 'experts' without ever checking them out.

And whilst the BBC also endorses SA and The Apprentice......and the Apprentice's so called expert, you were royally stitched up mate.

But good on you for at least having the guts to post on here, because DS is also very 'bandwagonish'
    Forum Member
    Also, feel free to go onto Ofcom's own site here:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/s10_code.txt

and search for "bluewave".

s

I think you are probably more legit than SA was when he first started out. ;)

I think somebody needs to investigate his CV and wheeling and dealings and then see how squeeky clean he is. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'm not after sympathy and I know I may come across as a bit of a cock at times but if people don't want to do business with me I want it to be because they don't like me and not because they think I am a liar.

I'm happy to stand up on any TV show any radio show or speak with any paper (except Isle of Man newspapers who have been throughly unsupportive throughout this process) and prove all of the claims I have made.

P.S. I have been touching on this on my new Twitter account @stuartbaggs.

s
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I'm not after sympathy and I know I may come across as a bit of a cock at times but if people don't want to do business with me I want it to be because they don't like me and not because they think I am a liar.

I'm happy to stand up on any TV show any radio show or speak with any paper (except Isle of Man newspapers who have been throughly unsupportive throughout this process) and prove all of the claims I have made.

P.S. I have been touching on this on my new Twitter account @stuartbaggs.

s

I don't follow Twitter or any of that shit.

But good on you to be here right now to challenge questions and answers that peeps want to put to you.

However, I think better still is to just open a thread on your own and invite peeps to question you.

Daunting, I know, but seriously, it would be the way to go here rather than on the shit Twitter. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Mr Viglen must have been quite shocked when the Isle of Man commisioner told him BlueWave was not on the scale of BT or Telefonica... :rolleyes:

Let's get some perspective here folk. Borden could have simply asked 'does your company offer landlines like BT does?' Any service which he expected was on offer, he could have asked about, and known for sure if Stuart was honest. But his intention was not to clarify, it was to trip Stuart up on a imaginary technicality. Telecoms operator is not a proper noun like General Practictioner, and as far as I'm aware there's no clearly defined 'Full Licence' to be had. BlueWave is a company that is an ISP and also provides some services not associated with ISPs in common parlance, hence BlueWave is best described as what else but a
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_operator

Frankly the Sugar/Apprentice brand is tarnished by this whole episode. Not only did they spurn all the candidates with actual entrepreneurial backgrounds in favour of a graduate and a corporate ladder climber, but they made basic research errors and then failed to apologise or own up. Then gave those patronising "I hope he learned something from this process" speeches. What a joke.

Baggs, if you're still reading, could I ask why you think it was nevertheless right for you to exit at that stage?
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To a large degree honesty is a good foundation and you are not going to go wrong. But it is a competitive situation - if you stretch the truth and it's within reasonable boundaries it is a chance you take. But it is a chance that pays dividends.

That was his advice back in 2008 (after he caught Lee out), not exactly consistent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7436404.stm
  • JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart's big mistake was that when he was first asked the question he started with a weaselly, "How can I answer this without sounding weaselly" (or words to that effect). He should have been more defiant at the outset rather than setting the tone but that introduction.

Once that was said the whole world was primed for weaseling and probably thought Bordon was doing good job by not standing for any.
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, I don't believe that this is the real Stubags posting here (he doesn't seem to know how old he is, for a start), but on the off-chance, let's see if we can get the answers to a question or two.

You have made mention of being a director of a company with £3m turnover:

1. Is this company Bluewave and, if not, who owns it?
    2. What, exactly, does your role as director entail?
    3. How much profit does it make and, if it's not Bluewave, how much profit does Bluewave make?

Because, really, without this information, saying you're director of a company with 3m turnover is meaningless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was 21 when the programme was made so he's obviously going to be 22/23 now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is why it's odd that he would refer to himself as being 21:
    There was nothing else on my CV. I am 21 (and as such don't have a string of previous employers) and my CV included details of my education and my company only. It was a single sheet of A4.

I haven't got either the time or the energy to check now, but I'm sure his CV was more than one page, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    Which is why it's odd that he would refer to himself as being 21:

OK, I see what you're getting at.

Don't forum support normally check when people claim to be someone with special knowledge?
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trollface wrote: »
    Right, I don't believe that this is the real Stubags posting here (he doesn't seem to know how old he is, for a start),

You make a good point about the age.

The posts do sound quite convincing, but as he made a big thing on You're Fired of being a year older and more mature than at the time of the programme being made, I don't think he'd forget how old he was when he was posting on a forum.

Unless, as LS said, you can't believe a blahddy word 'e says!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made some huge claims on The Apprentice, and they all checked out with the exception of one sticking point.

I maintain, and have had confirmed by several sources that as per my CV my company is "fully licensed".

The argument over wether or not being an ISP makes you a telecoms provider is a red herring as we don't just do Internet.

We own and operate fixed line telecoms services as well, for instance we also own a directory enquiries number 118 675 (which will be data filled and live Q2 2011), as well as geographic numbering for use with our VoIP services.

As has also been pointed out, we are referenced several times within an Isle of Man Government report http://www.gov.im/lib/docs/government/consultations/telecomfinalreport.pdf

I think / hope it is now widely excepted that the reason I was fired is complete bullshit. Wether or not I will ever receive an apology is another matter.

Don't get me wrong, it was my time to go (in fact the week before would have been about right), but the reason they found wasn't a reason at all. My CV checked out and they had to push a small point home and blow it out of all proportion. A point that is in fact, totally incorrect in the first place.

I hope that people will see I have been the victim here rather than the perpetrator.

s

I read elsewhere that there was a Bluewave Communications founded in 2003 on IoM that 'closed' it's license in 2007 and the next day / shortly after Bluewave Communications Ltd opened, which is your current company. (And please note, I could have the Ltd out of order, can't recall if it was the 2003 or 2007 company)

Therefore, I assumed per the above that the company had been founded by your parents as you would have been 14 in 2003. This would be in direct contrast to the statement you made that your parents didn't help you at all to get where you are. I admit I don't know how much of a company the 2003 Bluewave was and it would take some searching to find again where I read this, but perhaps you could explain what you know about the above?

If the above were true, could that mean that it was another factor not taken too kindly by Lord Sugar in firing you?
    Forum Member
    He clarified on Twitter that he was a "sole trader" (nb: different from 'soul trader') until 2007 when he incorporated. C'mon guys, stop nitpicking. Most companies run by ppl under 25 probably don't last more than 2 months, even if they eventually set up something better (eg. Microsoft). Most tech startups are web/software concerns with low risk and negligabe overhead, not proper hardware/service providers. And no company can afford to have a director on board who's a liability - even if it's a family business. Too much nitpicking
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Brando wrote: »
    Too much nitpicking

Not really.

He claimed to have done it all by himself with no assistance from his parents.

That seems barely credible as you'd need a substantial wodge of cash to start even a basic ISP.

Of course what I think he actually said was "My parents never gave me anything other than £10 to buy some yo-yos". (So, no pocket money,then?)

That does not mean that his father didn't guarantee a bloody great loan in order to get him started.

It's really (yet again :rolleyes:) the fault of the production company. If you're going to allow someone - especially someone who is only 21 - to repeatedly claim he is a director of a company with a certain turnover then you need to be a lot more specific about what that means. It could mean something very impressive or it could mean diddly squat!

And we just don't know.
  • jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly the Sugar/Apprentice brand is tarnished by this whole episode.

I'm in this camp. To be fair I've only watched 50% of this series because of it having degenerated into another entertainment show.

Maybe it's rose tinted glasses but I'm sure the first series(s) were more serious with less sensationalism and more consistant and fairer editing. Actually didn't it start out on BBC2? So it moves to BBC1, they wind it up a gear and two things happen. The TV Wanabee's start to appear in place of genuine job seekers, and we get the X-Factor fixings where the big characters get kept in longer than they deserve. The prize has lost its cred too because such a poor record of hirings staying beyond the minimum, if at all.
    Forum Member
    Yeah say his father threw some clients his way, he's still got to build a business out of that and provide competent service. And the costs of setting up a wireless ISP on an island are not necessarily that high, a small loan and lots of hard work would cover it.

There's a difference between benefitting from your parents' connections and being a puppet.

I mean all the other candidates who worked for large companies, they could only achieve their sales etc. because they had massive resources at their disposal. It's not like anyone is going to hand Paloma Vivanco Lmt a $867000 phone contract indepedentant of the company she worked for.
  • jencojenco Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    jaycee331 wrote: »
    I'm in this camp. To be fair I've only watched 50% of this series because of it having degenerated into another entertainment show.

This made me laugh! Just what category did you have TA in before you realised it was an entertainment show? Alongside Newsnight and Panorama?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah say his father threw some clients his way, he's still got to build a business out of that and provide competent service.

That's not the point.

His father (you?) could have guaranteed a loan, given him business, got friends to give him business.

But the bagginator was effectively saying it was all his own work and that his parents gave him nothing.

There's nothing wrong with his parents helping him in all sorts of ways but it should have been acknowledged.

Even AS is happy to state that his parents gave him some money for a van to get started.

Stuart's failure to acknowledge that his parents helped him in any way just added to the general impression of excessive hyperbole.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Don't forum support normally check when people claim to be someone with special knowledge?

Not to my knowledge. If the person making the claim asks for them to verify it they do but otherwise I'm pretty sure it's caveat emptor.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jaycee331 wrote: »
    32 miles end to end, that sounds like a honeypot for a modern tech. telco.

That might be why O2 used to own Manx Telecom (are they an Internet Service Protocol? :p), and used it as its testbed before it brought it onto the mainland (3G tests, LTE, etc)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Who cares? He should have gone last week and Liz should have been in the finals.

Although, Internet Service Protocol is incorrect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although best known as a PC builder, Viglen (and at the time Bordon) have some experience of creating internet businesses. It was the report that they were going into that market, that was the report in the Mirror's City Slickers column that led to trials and all those questions about Piers Morgan and insider dealings.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/01/18/viglen_unveils_ebiz_division/

Maybe Bordon just gets the cold sweats whenever anything internet is mentioned and mis-speaks? :rolleyes:

NB. Neither Bordon or Sugar had anything to do with the insider trading, it was a Mirror internal affair, their staff profiting on news they'd been given legitimately.
  • jaydashjaydash Posts: 1,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jepson wrote: »
    Don't any of you realise how easy it is to get one word of an expanded abbreviation wrong?

I'm sure they both know perfectly well what it should have been and neither of them noticed because they had other things on which to concentrate.
    IMO, it's this.

The guy just got the wrong word in the heat of the moment, because he was, to an extent, playing a character for TV, and had to sustain the momentum of his grilling.

I bet they both know what the term means, but if I was Bawden (or Lord Alan even, because his reputation suffers too), I would have insisted that the BBC edit-in a cutaway shot of Stuart and correct the spoken word/ phrase of Bawden.

Of course, that's cheating/ not representing the situation accurately, but then... welcome to the world of TV, complete with its 'story-telling' editing and manipulation to suit.
  • robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    A bit of an exageration! Lee claimed to have been at Thames Valley uni for two years, but had actually dropped out after four months - not in the same league as falsely claiming to have been awarded a degree!

but it was still a lie wasnt it he said he done his course but he hadnt

alan didnt seem at all bothered by that

yet stuart was flamed and fired for lieing