Options

Expanding Foam Residue On Lino

macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Oh decided to fill in a gap in the downstairs loo skirting board with expanding foam. I wasn't here and didn't notice the marks on the white lino until much later :mad:

I have tried normal cleaning stuff and white spirit but the more I read the more difficult it appears to be to remove it :eek:

Any tips please?

These are black/grey marks :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macca@90 wrote: »
    Oh decided to fill in a gap in the downstairs loo skirting board with expanding foam. I wasn't here and didn't notice the marks on the white lino until much later :mad:

I have tried normal cleaning stuff and white spirit but the more I read the more difficult it appears to be to remove it :eek:

Any tips please?

Hi macca,

I don't understand the black/grey marks, this sounds more like damp/ mould and there are stain removers to deal with this.

But assuming it is foam residue, try this, http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-pu-foam-remover-100ml/32482?_requestid=415388

There is another product called, " Soudal ".

NEAT Acetone is available from chemist, put it on to a rag, cotton balls and apply that way but wash away with plenty of water almost immediately

Do not use NEAT Acetone with out special care as it may/can damage the lino and you..

DO NOT USE nail varnish remover.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any aggressive solvent that attacks the urethane foam is likely to attack the lino plastic, too. I recommend using an abrasive such as a "Brillo pad".

Explain to your partner how to use newspaper and masking tape!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any aggressive solvent that attacks the urethane foam is likely to attack the lino plastic, too. I recommend using an abrasive such as a "Brillo pad".

Explain to your partner how to use newspaper and masking tape!
    And how will that remove the stain now that it has happened?
  • Options
    macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. One mark is a black smudge the other does look like hardened foam :mad:

They were not there before someone did a spot of DIY :rolleyes:

I will have a look at your suggestions but I will not be paying! :D
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member

Any tips please?

Just a thought, try soaking it in meths and then carefully using a wide chisel to scrap it from the base of the mass.

I don't envy you, that stuff is awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. One mark is a black smudge the other does look like hardened foam :mad:

They were not there before someone did a spot of DIY :rolleyes:

I will have a look at your suggestions but I will not be paying! :D
    :D, go easy on him, we mean well.