June Brown has to keep working because "pensions are so poor"

IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
Forum Member
EastEnders star June Brown is losing her sight – but won’t stop working over fears of ‘being poor’

http://metro.co.uk/2015/05/18/eastenders-star-june-brown-is-losing-her-sight-but-wont-stop-working-over-fears-of-being-poor-5202468/

I have never laughed so hard in ages.
She added: ‘You might laugh at that and think “she’ll never be poor when she’s old” but I’ve not squirreled away lots of money.’

So she's saying that she never had the opportunity to plan ahead? I've got no sympathy for her and either she's been completely negligent regarding her own finances, has become addicted to that bingo site that is touted by her ex co-star, or the Beeb's wage cuts are really hitting her hard.

When there are pensioners who aren't even able to heat their homes in winter because of the pittance of a state pension they receive, her cries of poverty are completely laughable.

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Silly woman, she has had 30 years of a really good wage to save for the future. why on earth didnt she save some? She has no idea what it is like to be really poor.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As of 2006 she was reportedly on £370,000 so one does wonder what's gone wrong.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if that would keep her in ****.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Yes we know we had this on here yesterday. Now have 2 threads
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I doubt if that would keep her in ****.
    I think you've cracked it!
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    That's terrible what the Torys have done. Poor old woman at her age should be enjoying life and instead she's working her fingers to the bone to keep the heating on and try and entertain her fans in the UK. She can't win.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    i dont see the big issue here, perhaps she just wasnt very good with money? its not like shes claiming from the state, shes still working !!
    plus london house prices are extortionate.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is that per year?

Yet she hasn't 'squirrelled any away' :confused:

So she's spent it as she's earned it and now has to keep working at 88 when she could have retired in some comfort :kitty:
    Aura101 wrote: »

I suppose that could be taken into account. Maybe just the cost of living there takes most of her income. We don't know.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering she is a one trick pony in terms of acting style, Id say she is lucky she has a job at all
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She might not really be poor she went through the war and some older people never think they have enough money even though they have more than enough. Her idea of being poor and hers might differ greatly.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    When there are pensioners who aren't even able to heat their homes in winter because of the pittance of a state pension they receive, her cries of poverty are completely laughable.

I agree. I'm guessing her version of being poor is not being able to afford luxuries.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, my heart bleeds because what little money my mum did manage to 'squirrel away' is now being spent on care costs when others are getting the same for free. It's a tough old world. Somehow I don't think June Brown would ever be on her uppers. If she was, Brinsworth House (or an equivalent charity that supports people who have given their 'services to the entertainment industry') would help support her and help keep her well-maintained.
    ETA: Awful to be losing your sight, though, at any age. Won't be helping her mood one bit.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Well, my heart bleeds because what little money my mum did manage to 'squirrel away' is now being spent on care costs when others are getting the same for free. It's a tough old world. Somehow I don't think June Brown would ever be on her uppers. If she was, Brinsworth House (or an equivalent charity that supports people who have given their 'services to the entertainment industry') would help support her and help keep her well-maintained.
    ETA: Awful to be losing your sight, though, at any age. Won't be helping her mood one bit.

If I was paid £300000 a. Year I pretty sure I could put a decent amount away each year towards my pension.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that she enjoys working and I don't have a problem with that.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's got to keep working to keep herself in ****.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry she is losing her sight but the two pensions thing sounds odd. Other than spending it how did she lose her savings then? because neither the banks or the government would have stole it off her!
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Not bad for a one-trick pony.

Don't get me wrong - I actually do like June Brown but she does the same Albert Steptoe impression in everything she does! Money for old rope really.
  • jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member

Don't get me wrong - I actually do like June Brown but she does the same Albert Steptoe impression in everything she does! Money for old rope really.

I agree, I've only seen her in EastEnders, and episodes of The Sweeney, Minder, and Verdict, but her acting in them was virtually the same.

Having said that, I thought she was excellent when she did that entire episode of EastEnders on her own a few years back.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that she enjoys working and I don't have a problem with that.

I think she works because she wants to as well.

It's hard to believe that she isn't better off than the average pensioner but perhaps she has a big family and financial commitments we don't know anything about.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been a useless character in eastenders for so many years now. surely don't need her now it's turned into the carter show
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »

They weren't extortionate 30+ years ago. Even if she'd bought in the 90s she could have comfortably afforded it on a fraction of her alleged 2006 income.

(and IMO I'd be surprised of someone of her vintage didn't buy a home a lot longer ago than that, in somewhere like Surrey)
  • LizzyrozLizzyroz Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »

It's hard to believe that she isn't better off than the average pensioner but perhaps she has a big family and financial commitments we don't know anything about.

She has five grown up children, so why would she have commitments to them if they're earning for themselves?

IIRC she lives in Surrey and has a nice large house which was seen in her episode of Who Do You Think You Are. Many pensioners have to choose between heating and eating, but I find it hard to believe she's one of them.

Where did her £300,000 a year salary go? **** and hair dye maybe.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    I think she works because she wants to as well.

Work probably keeps her going.;-)

I reckon the pension thing was probably a throw-away comment............and,of course, it has been pounced upon.

Does anyone seriously believe that she has money concerns? :o

I certainly don't.:p
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Albert Steptoe crossed with Kenneth Williams to be accurate.
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,259
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Silly woman, she has had 30 years of a really good wage to save for the future. why on earth didnt she save some? She has no idea what it is like to be really poor.

June isn't a silly woman, you don't know her situation at all.