Differences with popular Who opinion.

VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Look at any of the polls for best Doctor Who stories conducted over the last 15 or 20 years and you'll find that Genesis of the Daleks and Caves of Androzani are both invariably in the Top Five. I have to concede that both are very good stories, but I've always been baffled why so many people think they're the best things since sliced bread. There are several Tom Baker stories I prefer to Genesis and several Peter Davison stories I prefer to Caves.

Also in those polls you'll find that Delta and the Bannermen seems to always be near the bottom. In a way I understand why, but I've always been very fond of Delta, it has an indefinable charm that I find very appealing (and possibly because I tend to like anything set in the 1950s - well, apart from Idiot's Lantern, that is).

As far as Nu Who is concerned, the most universally disliked story seems to be Love and Monsters. I won't go so far as saying that I actually like it, but I've never really thought that it was that bad.

There are quite a few other examples, none of which currently come to mind, but the above are the main instances where I have differences with popular Who opinion.

What are yours?

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think L&M is anything like universally disliked: it tends to divide opinion but there are quite a lot of fans that rate it very highly indeed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why City of Death is so highly thought of and does so well in the polls.
    One that never does well is Time and the Rani. I've never got tired of watching that one. I don't know why, maybe because it's so bad it's brilliant! LOL

L&M isn't bad. It's let down by Peter Kay. Of the new series I think Partners in Crime is a bit ropey.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I don't think L&M is anything like universally disliked: it tends to divide opinion but there are quite a lot of fans that rate it very highly indeed.

I'm one of them, but as Cunnigham says it is slightly spoiled by Mr Kay
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why City of Death is so highly thought of and does so well in the polls.
    My favourite Dr Who story of ALL time :(

Love any of the Sylvester McCoy episodes that never seem to be in the top twenty polls. :(
  • MansunMansun Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way is Love & Monsters universally disliked. It divides opinion, yes, but just as many love it as hate it, as evidenced by the DWM poll that year when the same number of people gave it 10/10 as those who gave it 0/10.

I watched it again the other night and still think it's as brilliant as ever. :)

I'd say that Fear Her is the one that virtually everyone thinks is a bit 'meh'.
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »
    No way is Love & Monsters universally disliked. It divides opinion, yes, but just as many love it as hate it, as evidenced by the DWM poll that year when the same number of people gave it 10/10 as those who gave it 0/10.

I watched it again the other night and still think it's as brilliant as ever. :)

I think it was level of hate for Love and Monsters that people who dislike it tend to have made me use the expression "universally disliked", which was probably a mistake on my part. I think the two posters who've picked me up on this are correct inasmuch that a large minority of people are actually rather fond of the story.

I will agree that Fear Her is universally dislike, but I couldn't use it as an example in my original post as I hate it too!
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Name one Davison story better than Androzani. Go on. One.
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

I prefer Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Black Orchid, Mawdryn Undead, Earthshock, Enlightenment and Kinda to Caves.

I'm not saying they're better, I'm just saying I prefer them.

The polls have always suggested I am somewhat in a minority, but each to his or her own. It would be a boring world if we all liked or disliked the same things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Time Crash;)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vabosity wrote: »
    I prefer Castrovalva, Four To Doomsday, Black Orchid, Mawdryn Undead, Earthshock, Enlightenment and Kinda to Caves.

I'm not saying they're better, I'm just saying I prefer them.

The polls have always suggested I am somewhat in a minority, but each to his or her own. It would be a boring world if we all liked or disliked the same things.

Well, naturally. The relative quality of dramatic narratives is extremely subjective. Personally I'm of the opinion that Davison was as much let down by the writers as C.Baker, but in the much less notable way that most of his stories are unbelievably dull. The only ones I've seen before and would be willing to see again are Androzani, Kinda and Snakedance.

Conversely, I do prefer quite a few other Tom Baker stories to Genesis.
  • Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,438
    Forum Member
    I do have a soft spot for Genesis Of The Daleks but I think that both City Of Death and The Talons Of Weng Chiang are overrated as far as Tom's stories go. I'm also very fond of The Androids Of Tara which seems to be slated as "not being Doctor Who" by some fans.

Caves is good but is by no means the best Robert Holmes story and even though it's well scripted I actually get more enjoyment out of a number of other PD stories.

I've also got a soft spot for The Romans which seems not to be that well regarded by fandom in general.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Kingmaker. ;)

I'm being facetious- kind of- Androzani is the best Who story ever.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kinda.

I do like Androzani though and wished there had been more episodes of that quality.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do have a soft spot for Genesis Of The Daleks but I think that both City Of Death and The Talons Of Weng Chiang are overrated as far as Tom's stories go. I'm also very fond of The Androids Of Tara which seems to be slated as "not being Doctor Who" by some fans.

Caves is good but is by no means the best Robert Holmes story and even though it's well scripted I actually get more enjoyment out of a number of other PD stories.

I've also got a soft spot for The Romans which seems not to be that well regarded by fandom in general.

I like The Romans. :) In fact I like pretty much every Hartnell.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    To me, love and monsters is like random shoes, both being 'lite' episodes does not help their cause.

I have seen L&M twice and will never watch it again, it just does not feel right to me, even 'fear her' feels better than it , I have seen that half a dozen times or so, but I could never warm ot the characters in L&M. The ridiculous storyline does not help either,nor doew Peter Kay which is a shame because I thought Jackie was very good in it, but she alone cannot save it from my list of 'never watch again'

There are no classis Who episodes that I would never watch again, L&M alone has that acolade.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Tara & The Romans. Both of them did much better than previously in the recent DWM poll so it looks like opinion has changed somewhat.

Caves I like and can appreciate how well written it is but it's not a particular favourite of mine. Having to put up with Peri doesn't help.

Genesis doesn't work for me at all. Well directed and some very good performances from the regulars and some others but it slips into the usual Nation nonsense most of the time. There are many Baker stories I'd watch over this one.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I think Blink is majorly overated. That and Love and monsters are perhaps two of the worst pieces of television I have had the UNFORTUNATE pleasure in watching. I always skip them when i re watch my boxsets.

I also think the two parter in series 1 in downing street is entertaining but very childish. MP's farting and laughing. The ridiculous alien costumes they used. Looked like something you get for a tenner at a costume shop up the road from where I live.
  • brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mansun wrote: »

I wouldn't say that. I don't think Fear Her is that bad at all and I've seen plenty of people sticking up for it on threads here.

I'm one of the people who think that Love and Monsters is the worst episode of Doctor Who ever (classic and new series). I hate practically everything about it. Apart from that, though, I loved series 2, it being far and away my favourite series of New Who so far, so I suppose that's where my opinion differs radically from that of a lot of other posters on here. I've never understood the "Rose - great in series one, annoying in series two" school of thought either.

I've read loads of people praising series 4 to the heavens as their favourite series but, again, my opinion is completely different there as, with the exception of a couple of episodes (and no, the dreadful Turn Left isn't one of those), I couldn't stand it and it's the only series box set I haven't bothered buying.

As far as the classic series goes, I'm probably more in step with popular fan opinion, seeing the Philip Hinchcliffe years as the real golden period. There are no highly praised classic stories that I personally dislike from the first six Doctors' periods. I know there are a couple of Sylvester McCoy stories that are highly rated by fans but, since Doctor Who finished for me in 1986 to be replaced by a Rentaghost-level parody so staggeringly bad on every possible level I'm still surprised the BBC ever allowed it to be broadcast and I haven't watched any of those episodes since their original transmission (with no desire to), I'm not among those fans.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kinda. Black Orchid. Planet of Fire. Several of the BF audios. Probably Frontios, too. And Enlightenment.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I don't rate Caves as highly as some people do. I find it quite mundane and not so enjoyable. Enlightenment is my fave Davison story.
    I can see why Genesis would be rated so highly because it has all the elements of a classic story, but it is quite a tough task to watch as well.

I definitely understand the appeal of City of Death, Talons of Weng Chiang, Pyramids of Mars, Robots of Death ect They are the pure essence of Dr Who for me.

I have alot of stories that are some of my faves that I feel should be rated higher than they are - Attack of the Cybermen, Destiny of the Daleks and Stones of Blood (though it is rated quite highly, I think it should get even more recognition)

One Peter Davison story that I got bored watching was Frontios, I can't stand it. Some fans seem to rate it as quite a strong story though.
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never quite got Caves either. I can see why it's good but it's never been my favourite, it may just be a bit gloomy for me. No nice people in it at all except for the Doctor & Peri.

Nobody's mentioned The Visitation but this is my favourite Davison story.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I don't rate Caves as highly as some people do. I find it quite mundane and not so enjoyable. Enlightenment is my fave Davison story.
    I can see why Genesis would be rated so highly because it has all the elements of a classic story, but it is quite a tough task to watch as well.

I definitely understand the appeal of City of Death, Talons of Weng Chiang, Pyramids of Mars, Robots of Death ect They are the pure essence of Dr Who for me.

I have alot of stories that are some of my faves that I feel should be rated higher than they are - Attack of the Cybermen, Destiny of the Daleks and Stones of Blood (though it is rated quite highly, I think it should get even more recognition)

One Peter Davison story that I got bored watching was Frontios, I can't stand it. Some fans seem to rate it as quite a strong story though.

Definitely pure Doctor Who for me. That and The Power of Kroll are actually the only two Key To Time stories I enjoyed.

On a slight tangent, but on another thread it was pointed out that new Who relies a lot on psychic characters and portents over science. But watching stories like Stones of Blood, The Image of the Fendahl reminded me that we frequently got soothsaying old women and mysticism in classic Who, especially in the 1970s. :D

There's actually a lot of what are considered 'classic' Doctor Who stories that I find a slog to watch. Genesis is definitely pure Doctor Who, but it is one of those stores I find too long. Even favourites like The Pyramids of Mars bore me.

For me you can't beat Terror of the Zygons as pure classic entertaining Doctor Who.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite episodes is Fear Her and some of my least favourites are Family of Blood and Human Nature, but that's probably I really can't stand Martha. I suppose I'm rather the odd one out here?! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    musicdude wrote: »
    I think Blink is majorly overated. That and Love and monsters are perhaps two of the worst pieces of television I have had the UNFORTUNATE pleasure in watching. I always skip them when i re watch my boxsets.

I also think the two parter in series 1 in downing street is entertaining but very childish. MP's farting and laughing. The ridiculous alien costumes they used. Looked like something you get for a tenner at a costume shop up the road from where I live.

Blink? Over-rated? Surely you jest! :D

It's got Carey Mulligan as an adorable geniune companion-material star, geniunely terrifying enemies and a really scary premise, a tight plot, and it doesn't include David Tennant! What could possibly go wrong?

I agree about L&M and AiL/WW3.
  • hobbleithobbleit Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    One of my favourite episodes is Fear Her and some of my least favourites are Family of Blood and Human Nature, but that's probably I really can't stand Martha. I suppose I'm rather the odd one out here?! :p

Family of Blood and Human Nature are two of my favourite Doctor Who stories.

I also love City of Death :eek: