Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    The thing that puts me off Pauline is that she doesn't seem loyal to DM. She seems to use any failing on his part as something to share with the village for their pleasure and amusement. I can't understand why he puts up with her - patient lists by first names, and then arguing about it? Not likely.
    But then again I remind myself this is entertainment.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summary: A trio of desperate men hire a film crew to record their attempt to kidnap some valuable and surprisingly intelligent Laboratory mice. MC's voice only for the character of Pearl.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, umbrellagirl. Look! There's little James Henry Clunes "helping". I love dogs.

what kind of vines do you think those are? there can't be vineyards in Dorset, can there?
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    what kind of vines do you think those are? there can't be vineyards in Dorset, can there?

They do look like vineyards - perhaps in Italy? I spotted JH there also. Too funny. His hair looks quite long in the close up shot. And the quick scene on his farm looks just idyllic. Also liked the callback at the end to the original Horsepower - he uses the same pose with the horses.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    They do look like vineyards - perhaps in Italy? ....

In reading about this Heavy Horsepower production from the ITV press pack, he does visit a vineyard in Italy:
    " Martin discovers the traditional uses of the working horse, and how people are finding new ways to keep horses working in today's world of high tech equipment. He travels to a beautiful vineyard in northern Italy to meet Henry Finzi-Constantine who believes that horses are better for the soil than tractors. He says the horses not only work the land but fertilise it at the same time. Martin drives the cart drawn by the “Rolls Royce of horses”,the Comptoires, as the grapes are harvested.

“A day working in that Italian vineyard is enough for me to think that having working horses on my farm can only be a good thing,” Martin says." from http://www.itv.com/presscentre/ep1week6/martin-clunes-heavy-horse-power

Then see the great photos at the vineyard website:
    http://www.castelloditassarolo.it/english/events-diary.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summary: A trio of desperate men hire a film crew to record their attempt to kidnap some valuable and surprisingly intelligent Laboratory mice. MC's voice only for the character of Pearl.

Ooooops! Title of film is called Labrats and it is in post-production.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1936943.stm

Stateside fan is this it? Shockingly mean photo if MC but this says it was shown in April 2012.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

Stateside fan is this it? Shockingly mean photo if MC but this says it was shown in April 2012.

Interesting! I got my info from the INDb mega-site. Do you think this ever made it into general release? Anybody see it? Wonder if it had a small screening or limited release then they went back to retool? Of course, IMDb could be wrong.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the link, umbrellagirl. Look! There's little James Henry Clunes "helping". I love dogs.

I am wondering as the dvd Horsepower is only available on Region 2, if they would release a dvd of Horsepower and an addendum Working Horses together and be available on Region 1 players? The powers that be, are you there?? noticing that MC is reaching out to U.S. to include segments of how we use horses in the aforesaid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shockingly mean and it has to be deliberate as almost every other picture ever taken of him is better than this one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this isn't DM related, but just a heads up to those of you in the U.S. who are involved in tour groups of the many historic homes here. In Union, NJ there is a mansion of the Kean family (same family as former Governor Thomas Kean). They gave land across the street for Kean University. Liberty Hall Museum is riding the wave of the DA series and is holding Downton Abbey Brunch in the Mansion stepping back in time and holding a New Year Eve's brunch complete with costumed wait staff of the era with party favors and a champagne toast (on a Saturday at noontime). January's date was sold out, February's date is sold out (we are going to that), now there is a March date scheduled.

A thought, wouldn't English tea and scones (maybe even some chocolate digestives) in a DM's surgery setting be lovely for a fund raiser!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    The thing that puts me off Pauline is that she doesn't seem loyal to DM. She seems to use any failing on his part as something to share with the village for their pleasure and amusement. I can't understand why he puts up with her - patient lists by first names, and then arguing about it? Not likely.
    But then again I remind myself this is entertainment.

Agreed about Pauline. We see her being very loyal (Gavin) and then joking very nastily about him to others on his wedding day. Whether it's from different writers or we are supposed to believe that Pauline has two different sides to her, nice and protective and then vicious and mean (a la Poppy), we've seen Pauline with a wide swing in her personality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting! I got my info from the INDb mega-site. Do you think this ever made it into general release? Anybody see it? Wonder if it had a small screening or limited release then they went back to retool? Of course, IMDb could be wrong.

http://www.apbproductions.co.uk/labrats.htm

The guy sold his house and car to make the film. MC did it (for free one infers) because "it is difficult when you are starting out".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad they've left the door open for her character to return even if it is only to add closure to her relationship with Al. It was a great opportunity for her career that necessitated her leaving.

It looks like this excludes the possibility of Katherine Parkinson returning to DM as a regular:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/166592/stella-gonet-june-watson-katherine-parkinson-more-to-star-in-londons-before-the-party/

The play will run through May 11, 2013, which is in the middle of prime Doc Martin filming.

But a one-off (or two?) is still a possibility, right? I'm thinking it isn't going to happen though. Just really bugs me that they didn't handle Pauline's exit very well. One day she's at the harbor holding a microphone to her cell phone. The next day, poof, she's gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    From William Shawcross to Doc Martin

Just spent an enjoyable couple of days catching all of William and Mary on YouTube. Thanks to the posters -

But talk about "sceneus interruptus" - OMG - it was like all of PW living in one house!!

When series 3 started, I found myself looking not at William but at DM. Although there was still a lot of light heartedness in the character, in many scenes his face was set in our well known DM scowl. I had to go back again to see the time overlap in shooting those and see that there was some. Maybe it was just the toll the constant upheaval was taking on William but it gave me a jolt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Shockingly mean and it has to be deliberate as almost every other picture ever taken of him is better than this one!

He looks somewhat rat-like in the pix. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like this excludes the possibility of Katherine Parkinson returning to DM as a regular:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/166592/stella-gonet-june-watson-katherine-parkinson-more-to-star-in-londons-before-the-party/

The play will run through May 11, 2013, which is in the middle of prime Doc Martin filming.

But a one-off (or two?) is still a possibility, right? I'm thinking it isn't going to happen though. Just really bugs me that they didn't handle Pauline's exit very well. One day she's at the harbor holding a microphone to her cell phone. The next day, poof, she's gone.

I just have the feeling that we're not going to see a reunion of past characters in a Series 6 swan song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess in the acting business an actress/actor has to make some important decisions when an opportunity comes your way as to whether to continue in a successful series or take the option of another one, or perhaps a play that comes your way. Katherine Parkinson is in the age group where she has proven by her past work she is a successful comedienne. As to Morwenna, I think she will work out, but her outfits have to become more zany, crazy looking. Too tame for me after Pauline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    From William Shawcross to Doc Martin

Just spent an enjoyable couple of days catching all of William and Mary on YouTube. Thanks to the posters -

But talk about "sceneus interruptus" - OMG - it was like all of PW living in one house!!

When series 3 started, I found myself looking not at William but at DM. Although there was still a lot of light heartedness in the character, in many scenes his face was set in our well known DM scowl. I had to go back again to see the time overlap in shooting those and see that there was some. Maybe it was just the toll the constant upheaval was taking on William but it gave me a jolt.

I am a little worried about S3 of William and Mary, and I do find Mary a bit tiresome. Was the overlap with S1 of DM? after S1 filming had finished b/c his hair looks like it's growing out.

Joseph Morgan (Mabley) was the oldest daughter's boyfriend, I noticed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by statesidefan View Post

Originally posted by statesidefan; Interesting! I got my info from the INDb mega-site. Do you think this ever made it into general release? Anybody see it? Wonder if it had a small screening or limited release then they went back to retool? Of course, IMDb could be wrong.

Okay, let's get this straight. I've now researched this more thoroughly than my first look sometime long back at the IMDB website. It appears to be an interesting mess to figure out.

1. It appears the information at IMDB has the wrong date of 2010 (or perhaps it was released on video at that point). Clearly from the articles sited, it began life earlier.

2. The article sited above is April 18, 2002 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1936943.stm

3. There is a second article from June 13, 2002 about it being shown at a fringe festival. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2043028.stm

4. At http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b879eed3c the British Film Institute shows a date of 2001, which would make sense if it was being screened in 2002.

But then to muddy the waters:

5. I found it at the website WORLD OF COMEDY FILM FESTIVAL 2010 SCHEDULE OF FILMS with this annotation:
    Paul Brannigan/ UK/ 2010/ DVCAM PAL, BetaSP PAL, 35mm/ 77 minutes/ World Premiere
    Producer: Paul Brannigan/ Screenwriter: Paul Brannigan/ Cinematographer: Vince Martin/ Animal Trainer: Marianne Wilding/ Editor: Mali Evans/ Sound Editor: Paul Harrison/ Original Music: Tom O’Carroll/ Cast: David Robertson, John Churnside, Craig Cheetham, Craig \ian Smith, Jean Sinden, Jean Stevens, John Henshaw, Marilyn Bar Ilan, Michael Dalrymple, Paul Brannigan/ Print Traffic: Paul Brannigan paul@apbproductions.co.uk

Jake, Tony and Simon, desperate to escape their unfulfilled lives, devise what could be the perfect crime: 1) Kidnap valuable laboratory mice en-route to a major pharmaceutical company and demand a £2,000,000 ransom 2) Employ an ambitious young film crew to record the events and 3) If the kidnap fails - sell the film. But the best laid plans…
    http://www.worldcomedyfilmfest.com/full_schedule.htm

So a mess it is, sort of. I don't want to spend any more time trying to figure out the date difference.

As a side issue: I also noticed things at in IMDB site like "edit page" that made me look into the site further. While I know that Wikipedia itself can contain errors, I checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database and found a description of generally how the IMDB site works (hoping it is fairly accurate). Especially note the "Copyright, vandalism, and error issues" paragraph and the note under References that told me what I suspected.

MC picture with the article: It looks like one of him in the mid to late 1990's and of course not a very attractive one to our eyes, but that's very similar to how his hair looked when he was on the Mrs. Merton Show 1997 (on YT--thanks Conniej!) (so funny and talked about getting married to Philippa). Anyhow, I've noticed that sometimes news articles reach back in time for photos, rather than use the latest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, let's get this straight. I've now researched this more thoroughly than my first look sometime long back at the IMDB website. It appears to be an interesting mess to figure out.

1. It appears the information at IMDB has the wrong date of 2010 (or perhaps it was released on video at that point). Clearly from the articles sited, it began life earlier.

2. The article sited above is April 18, 2002 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/1936943.stm

3. There is a second article from June 13, 2002 about it being shown at a fringe festival. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/2043028.stm

4. At http://explore.bfi.org.uk/4ce2b879eed3c the British Film Institute shows a date of 2001, which would make sense if it was being screened in 2002.

But then to muddy the waters:

5. I found it at the website WORLD OF COMEDY FILM FESTIVAL 2010 SCHEDULE OF FILMS with this annotation:
    Paul Brannigan/ UK/ 2010/ DVCAM PAL, BetaSP PAL, 35mm/ 77 minutes/ World Premiere
    Producer: Paul Brannigan/ Screenwriter: Paul Brannigan/ Cinematographer: Vince Martin/ Animal Trainer: Marianne Wilding/ Editor: Mali Evans/ Sound Editor: Paul Harrison/ Original Music: Tom O’Carroll/ Cast: David Robertson, John Churnside, Craig Cheetham, Craig \ian Smith, Jean Sinden, Jean Stevens, John Henshaw, Marilyn Bar Ilan, Michael Dalrymple, Paul Brannigan/ Print Traffic: Paul Brannigan paul@apbproductions.co.uk

Jake, Tony and Simon, desperate to escape their unfulfilled lives, devise what could be the perfect crime: 1) Kidnap valuable laboratory mice en-route to a major pharmaceutical company and demand a £2,000,000 ransom 2) Employ an ambitious young film crew to record the events and 3) If the kidnap fails - sell the film. But the best laid plans…
    http://www.worldcomedyfilmfest.com/full_schedule.htm

So a mess it is, sort of. I don't want to spend any more time trying to figure out the date difference.

As a side issue: I also noticed things at in IMDB site like "edit page" that made me look into the site further. While I know that Wikipedia itself can contain errors, I checked http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Movie_Database and found a description of generally how the IMDB site works (hoping it is fairly accurate). Especially note the "Copyright, vandalism, and error issues" paragraph and the note under References that told me what I suspected.

MC picture with the article: It looks like one of him in the mid to late 1990's and of course not a very attractive one to our eyes, but that's very similar to how his hair looked when he was on the Mrs. Merton Show 1997 (on YT--thanks Conniej!) (so funny and talked about getting married to Philippa). Anyhow, I've noticed that sometimes news articles reach back in time for photos, rather than use the latest.

Thanks for the research Susie. I thought the Labrats has been at the top of his IMDB list for awhile now. Strange.

Was looking for something at IMDB and noticed that under Martin it lists Man to Manta, Islands of Britain, and A Man and His Dogs, but no mention of Horsepower. While that site can be very useful, it's too bad that it isn't bit more complete.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    Thanks for the research Susie. I thought the Labrats has been at the top of his IMDB list for awhile now. Strange.

Was looking for something at IMDB and noticed that under Martin it lists Man to Manta, Islands of Britain, and A Man and His Dogs, but no mention of Horsepower. While that site can be very useful, it's too bad that it isn't bit more complete.

Your welcome, I love a good research project by profession and have way too inquiring of a mind sometimes and I do love a good mystery.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    I know this isn't DM related, but just a heads up to those of you in the U.S. who are involved in tour groups of the many historic homes here. In Union, NJ there is a mansion of the Kean family (same family as former Governor Thomas Kean). They gave land across the street for Kean University. Liberty Hall Museum is riding the wave of the DA series and is holding Downton Abbey Brunch in the Mansion stepping back in time and holding a New Year Eve's brunch complete with costumed wait staff of the era with party favors and a champagne toast (on a Saturday at noontime). January's date was sold out, February's date is sold out (we are going to that), now there is a March date scheduled.

A thought, wouldn't English tea and scones (maybe even some chocolate digestives) in a DM's surgery setting be lovely for a fund raiser!

So if we could each pull one of these off to raise money for a joint Doc Martin filming trip. Ohhhhhh....yessss.....!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.apbproductions.co.uk/labrats.htm

The guy sold his house and car to make the film. MC did it (for free one infers) because "it is difficult when you are starting out".

Thanks for this link. It does help clarify the details about Labrats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It strikes me watching as much of this show as I do, that MC is very believable as a doctor. I know that he has done this for awhile now and that he is a very good actor, but I really do have to remind myself sometimes that he is not really a doctor, but "He plays one on TV" (as I think MC said once on a talk show). It just seems like it comes very naturally to him, the checking for the pulse, use of the stethoscope, etc. He is just really good at it. No wonder he has to sometimes remind himself that he really does not have a medical degree. :D
This discussion has been closed.