Thunderbirds Are Go! ITV Saturday 4th April

H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Thunderbirds Are Go! will premiere on ITV at 5pm over Easter weekend, Saturday 4th April with a double episode.

Episode 1 is titled Ring of Fire part 1 & 2

Wikipedia says that ITV will show the premiere episodes with CITV showing the repeats from the 15th April.

Comments

• Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to it!
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: Looks like the rest of the series is going to be shown from 8am on Saturday's ITV and CITV?

MIght as well throw it in the bin then. What is the point in putting it on at 8am? Are ITV aiming for an audience less than 100k.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Interestingly, "Ring of Fire" was the title of one of the Thunderbird novels written in the 60's by John Theydon. Still got my copy.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FAB

I think it'll be CRAP

Remakes are always rubbish :(
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    FAB

I think it'll be CRAP

Remakes are always rubbish :(

If the lame CGI (show me any CGI that isn't) in the trailer is anything to go by I agree.
  • c0boc0bo Posts: 6,465
    Forum Member
    I don't think that series will do very well. The episodse maybe OK but the 8am timeslot on a Saturday on CITV / ITV maybe a problem. I would have thought a 5pm timeslot on a Saturday on ITV and not CITV would have been better because that way a lot of people can see it so why couldn't it keep it's 5pm timeslot on a Saturday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    ITV have already given it a second series of 26 episodes, giving it 52 episodes overall. Probably a combination of extreme confidence and good international sales.
    Forum Member
    ITV have already given it a second series of 26 episodes, giving it 52 episodes overall. Probably a combination of extreme confidence and good international sales.

But will it gain its 3rd series.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    52 episodes is more than enough to syndicate it but I wouldnt be surprised if ITV orders a third series so they can get to 65 episodes which is the ideal number of episodes for animated series

This has been commissioned by CITV as well as ITV so it's aimed at kids not adults and I wouldn't be surprised if they are plenty of repeats on CITV in the afternoon.
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    52 episodes is more than enough to syndicate it but I wouldnt be surprised if ITV orders a third series so they can get to 65 episodes which is the ideal number of episodes for animated series

This has been commissioned by CITV as well as ITV so it's aimed at kids not adults and I wouldn't be surprised if they are plenty of repeats on CITV in the afternoon.

Well even though it's aimed at kids I wouldn't be surprised that the majority of the audience was adults. The adults who watched the original.

Even though this new series will mainly be on CITV why put the first episode on ITV at 5pm?

And if ITV was bringing back a old series like Thunderbirds why leave out the audience who watched the original.
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original series was never aimed at adults.

I do not think many dads lusted after Lady Penelope when they had Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg but they did look at the special effects especially the first episode to feature Fireflash because it was real even if only in miniature except for .Virgil's eyebrows scowling.

If the new series can match that then it will be a success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original series was never aimed at adults.

You're kidding surely. When Gerry Anderson went to Lew Grade having already made several half hour episodes, Grade immediately saw it more as a family oriented feature film, hence the increased running time, and requiring Gerry to extend and reshoot those episodes.

Regarding Lady Penelope and Virgil, you'd be hard pressed to find a more sexually charged scene than at the end of The Perils Of Penelope just after Virgil has rescued her. Very rarely have eyes expressed so much. Pure animal lust!:D

You're right about the amazing special effects of Derek Meddings though. Simply outstanding and raised the bar to unimaginable heights for the day. It just isn't possible, not for me anyway, to be blown away by CGI of any type in the same way.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it wasn't aimed at adults, the very children who watched it back then and on its many repeated outings since have now grown up and have remained fans of the programme.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the new Thunderbirds will be well done and gain an army of fans, but nothing beats the original. Dramatic, scary and funny. It felt real. Many times I dreamt of having priviledged access and going with them, via all those twisty slides and ramps on a rescue mission. :D Obviously there were the good looking Tracy lads, (although Virgil was a bit too hairy for me) but I always had a soft spot for Brains, bless him. People thinking he was crazy when he was talking to his watch (early Skype in minature) as the metal ropes of the bridge were twanging, but the scene that gave me nightmares, was his little burnt and sand caked face in the scorching sun, buried up to his neck, saying "water, water, must get water!" :(
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this new series likely to explain how Jeff Tracy acquired enough wealth to finance design and construction of all those craft, and in complete secrecy, and be able to afford the enormous operating cost of shooting off all over the world, often to rescue just a couple of people?. Are we also going to get Gerry Anderson's laughably innacurate vision of the future, with all those reel to reel tape decks and steam age knobs and dials? The only thing Gerry was worse at than predicting the future was his understanding of military ranks, with his Commanders Zero and Shore. Commander is a lower rank than Colonel (Steve Zodiac) or Naval Captain (Troy Tempest), which is equivalent to Colonel.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    You're kidding surely. When Gerry Anderson went to Lew Grade having already made several half hour episodes, Grade immediately saw it more as a family oriented feature film, hence the increased running time, and requiring Gerry to extend and reshoot those episodes.

Regarding Lady Penelope and Virgil, you'd be hard pressed to find a more sexually charged scene than at the end of The Perils Of Penelope just after Virgil has rescued her. Very rarely have eyes expressed so much. Pure animal lust!:D

You're right about the amazing special effects of Derek Meddings though. Simply outstanding and raised the bar to unimaginable heights for the day. It just isn't possible, not for me anyway, to be blown away by CGI of any type in the same way.

I'm saying nothing .

• Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member
    Is this new series likely to explain how Jeff Tracy acquired enough wealth to finance design and construction of all those craft, and in complete secrecy, and be able to afford the enormous operating cost of shooting off all over the world, often to rescue just a couple of people?. Are we also going to get Gerry Anderson's laughably innacurate vision of the future, with all those reel to reel tape decks and steam age knobs and dials? The only thing Gerry was worse at than predicting the future was his understanding of military ranks, with his Commanders Zero and Shore. Commander is a lower rank than Colonel (Steve Zodiac) or Naval Captain (Troy Tempest), which is equivalent to Colonel.

You've really got him sussed, haven't you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saying nothing .

:D You should learn to control yourself!
    Forum Member
    culttvfan wrote: »
    :D You should learn to control yourself!

I think Virgil was gay. In one episode he's seen painting (a portrait, not a house). OK, OK, I know, but in the 60s that was a BIG DEAL! Probably.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Virgil was gay. In one episode he's seen painting (a portrait, not a house). OK, OK, I know, but in the 60s that was a BIG DEAL! Probably.

one of us was gay , but it wasn't me .
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Looks like a cartoon, why couldn't they do a team America style show but without the comedy, the puppets were great in that. 5pm Saturday is the death slot anyway, should have asked it at adults and children, put it on 6pm inter of youve been done to death!
    Forum Member
    one of us was gay , but it wasn't me .

I knew it, it's Scott, right? All that macho over-compensating "I'm the leader" schtick, and flying around in a big phallic symbol...
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Looks like a cartoon, why couldn't they do a team America style show but without the comedy, the puppets were great in that. 5pm Saturday is the death slot anyway, should have asked it at adults and children, put it on 6pm inter of youve been done to death!

Puppetry of that type would be too expensive nowadays, I reckon.
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew it, it's Scott, right? All that macho over-compensating "I'm the leader" schtick, and flying around in a big phallic symbol...

Puppetry of that type would be too expensive nowadays, I reckon.

Talking of phallic symbolism ...... when 3 docks with 5.

Sylvia Anderson and David Graham were both interviewed on ITV News at 6.30 this evening, David answered in his Parker voice!
  • David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Good to hear they still have Peter Dyneley's voice over from the original series "5,4,3,2,1 Thunderbirds are go!" on the trailer. Peter played Jeff Tracey and his voice was very distinctive. Sadly he died in 1977.
    Scott was voiced by Shane Rimmer who unfortunately won't be in the new series despite still active at the grand old age of 85. He had a long association with Gerry Anderson productions plus many Bond films.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8am is the repeat slot, in case people were wondering. The new episodes will debut at 5pm on ITV (or 5:30pm if they show a single episode).

It seems that 13 episodes will run this Spring then the remaining 13 presumably in the Autumn. It won't be over 13 weeks though, as there will be at least some shown as 2 parters together (like the opener, Ring of Fire)