Options

Is the doctor ready to let Clara go ? (spec)

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Grief is a hard thing. Especially when you are like the doctor. He doesn't die he changes. He knows eventually all his friends will leave one way or another .

You can try to prepare yourself but when the moment comes it is still hard.
Clara was with him through a lot. After he first lost the Ponds, at trenzalore twice. Both times saving him.

Be an interesting transition from Clara to the new companion. Getting to know and use to a new face on the tardis.

Maybe in the summer we will hear if Clara does make her exit in the November finale or Christmas special.

Comments

• Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I hope he does let her go, straight into a black hole from which their is no return. :D

In the spirit of the thread though, I would say it's always hard for him to lose a companion and indeed, he said in the next doctor 'in the end, they break my heart', but as with any long term traveler he's constantly meeting new people and forming new bonds so he's never lonely for long.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hope she dies and the Doctor realises that he shouldn't travel with humans anymore as they always die. Cue Missy becoming the full time companion for Series 10.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grief is a hard thing. Especially when you are like the doctor. He doesn't die he changes. He knows eventually all his friends will leave one way or another .

Clara was with him through a lot. After he first lost the Ponds, at trenzalore twice. Both times saving him.

Be an interesting transition from Clara to the new companion. Getting to know and use to a new face on the tardis.

Maybe in the summer we will hear if Clara does make her exit in the November finale or Christmas special.

I think it's a hard one. I mean if you think about it, after everything the Doctor and Clara have been though, you'd think it nigh impossible for him to cope with losing her (same goes for it being nigh impossible for Clara to walk away from him) but he's lost people before, people just as close to him, hundreds of times so yes, he will cope. He has to cope eventually because DW will continue long after Jenna has left.

He 'gave her up' in DIH thinking she should have a life with Danny, on earth but we didn't see how he coped with that as it went straight into LC. We ever saw the effect 'losing' Clara actually had on him.

It will depend on how he loses her I recon. I can't see (and personally hope not because it wouldn't be true to the character) Clara choosing to walk away so I can't see a happy way out for her. Therefore I don't think he will cope well with losing her at all and tbh I don't think he should. After everything.. It's going to be very difficult for him and I have no doubt PC will play it superbly.

As for a new companion; good luck to them trying to get through to this Doctor after he's lost Clara. He's complicated enough, for Clara, let alone someone new :o
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (aside: every time I see one of these I think it's going to be spec as in spec script, i.e. at least the outline for some fan fiction)

In story terms, yes, I don't think the Doctor particularly needs Clara any more. But it was probably written that way because the production team weren't sure whether she was coming back. Regardless I'd like to see her go soon because she's stale. She has been a lot more interesting with Capaldi than she was with Smith but she still feels like a drag.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    (aside: every time I see one of these I think it's going to be spec as in spec script, i.e. at least the outline for some fan fiction)

In story terms, yes, I don't think the Doctor particularly needs Clara any more. But it was probably written that way because the production team weren't sure whether she was coming back. Regardless I'd like to see her go soon because she's stale. She has been a lot more interesting with Capaldi than she was with Smith but she still feels like a drag.

The problem with Clara last series was that the story arc was all leading up to Danny dying and the Doctor then going in search of the afterlife, so the series was a little bit "Waterloo Road in Space".

If. in the next series, Moffat pushes Clara into a more adventurous role, akin to Amy's in the brilliant 5th series, it might refresh her as a character.

I really, really hope (but suspect Moffat won't:() that series 9 starts exactly where Last Christmas ended and we see the Doctor and Clara as thick as thieves together until whatever it is that splits them up at some point in the first story (and hopefully they're reunited at the end of episode 2).

Jenna talks about Clara becoming more reliant on the Doctor now and maybe that's why she so willing to form a dangerous alliance with Missy when the Doctor gets into bother. A more wreckless Clara producing a more protective Doctor who, no, won't be ready to let Clara go when the time comes.

Although that might lead to more of the Doctor moping about which would have a feel of same-old-same-old.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the Doctor but I think I might suffer cold turkey when Clara leaves.

:blush::p
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't even been confirmed she is leaving. Seems like she'll be in series 10 to me, given how far in advance the Ponds' departures were announced.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    I don't know about the Doctor but I think I might suffer cold turkey when Clara leaves.

:blush::p

And me :cry::cry:
    It hasn't even been confirmed she is leaving. Seems like she'll be in series 10 to me, given how far in advance the Ponds' departures were announced.

I would be the happiest person ever, if that was true :D
  • Options
    LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in two minds about Clara leaving to be honest. On the one hand I think a new dynamic would be good to see with Capaldi's doctor. His personality is just teaming with possibilities it seems a shame to have two series with the same companion. However I absolutely love Clara and the Doctor's relationship. It's incredibly authentic, at least to me.

I dunno. I wrote a whole post and said nothing!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I suspect Clara's eventual exit will be hugely emotional - it would be wrong for it not to be. After all, she was the woman who helped him save Gallifrey, she's the woman who was willing to sacrifice herself to save him (by going into his time stream), she was the companion who visited him after hundreds of years on Trenzalore, the woman who came back for him at the end of that life, and who stuck with him into his next.

But 'emotional' doesn't have to mean tragic. We had tragic with Rose, Donna and Amy. We had underplayed with Martha, and it was wonderfully done for the time considering everyone knew she'd be back. Clara's exit doesn't need to be tragic, but it can be poignant and sad all the same.

I still think Clara going home to spend the last years with her Nan would be the best course of action to take in regards to her characters eventual exit. Her Nan was there for her when she thought she'd lost the Doctor, and she was there again when Clara lost Danny. Maybe something happens to her Nan's health and Clara chooses to come home. It's the kind of exit where Clara is clearly torn between her two lives but puts family first in the end, it would mean The Doctor wouldn't go through the tragic motions he did with Amy and Rory as he won't feel responsible for her exit, and whilst it leaves the door open to Clara returning in future (not something they'll need to do but not every companion needs to be sealed off forever) it's the kind of scenario where I think the Doctor would feel wrong simply saying goodbye to her and then popping forward a few years once her Nan has died to pick her up again. It'll just be a natural time for them both to move on from one another, on good terms, without tragedy...and without a need to build up to Clara's exit as a big prophetic thing. :)
  • Options
    i am godi am god Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ill do cartwheels down the road when she go,s. the worst companion since kameleon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am god wrote: »
    ill do cartwheels down the road when she go,s. the worst companion since kameleon

Blimey. For a God you're awfully judgmental.

Actually you suit your namesake quite well. :D
  • Options
    i am godi am god Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LightMeUp wrote: »
    Blimey. For a God you're awfully judgmental.

Actually you suit your namesake quite well. :D
    expect a striking down for that comment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am god wrote: »
    expect a striking down for that comment

I'll pray to you if you want. At least you're real.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Doctor might try and change her mind to stay with him.:confused:

The Doctor- Clara, I'm gathering a rainbow, I'd really like you to be there.
    Clara- Doctor, I don't know if I can, there was a time I would run to you but I have somewhere to go, have my places to see and you still have yours.
    (Clara hugs The Doctor and walks away)
    The Doctor- Clara, see you around some time
    (Clara turns to look at The Doctor, Clara waves goodbye)

:cry: