The Ratings Thread (Part 34)

Comments

• RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    4.2m for William & Kate incl. +1

Probably more than watched them on ITV1 a year ago, so they should be pleased.... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    ITV Press Centre: Confirmed: Britain's Got Talent - The Live Final: 6.30pm Saturday 12 May on @ITV1. @GotTalent #BGT

Source: Twitter @itvpresscentre
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    I think DOI is a show that is in terminal decline, I cant see it ever recovering now. Thats not to say ITV cant carry on with it getting 7m odd each week but the days off it being one of the main entertainment hits is over.

On a similar subject, I would like to see The Voice return in Q1 next year. The scheduling against BGT this year was a masterstroke by the Beeb to get publicity and has helped establish it firmly as a top rated show. Now that its established it doesnt need to compete against BGT for viewers or publicity. Air it in Jan or Feb, 7pm or later with dark nights is going to bring in more viewers, DOI will likely be crushed and no Voice will probably mean less viewers for BGT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pieboyjr wrote: »
    ITV Press Centre: Confirmed: Britain's Got Talent - The Live Final: 6.30pm Saturday 12 May on @ITV1. @GotTalent #BGT

Sounds a bit early in the evening.

Presumably The Voice will have to go head to head with that then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    I think DOI is a show that is in terminal decline, I cant see it ever recovering now. Thats not to say ITV cant carry on with it getting 7m odd each week but the days off it being one of the main entertainment hits is over.

On a similar subject, I would like to see The Voice return in Q1 next year. The scheduling against BGT this year was a masterstroke by the Beeb to get publicity and has helped establish it firmly as a top rated show. Now that its established it doesnt need to compete against BGT for viewers or publicity. Air it in Jan or Feb, 7pm or later with dark nights is going to bring in more viewers, DOI will likely be crushed and no Voice will probably mean less viewers for BGT.

All sounds so perfectly sensible and logical.....

....so there's no way the Beeb will do it. :D
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The Bin Laden programme was never going to do well considering it was 2 hours long, up to 11pm on a weeknight. It's a big commitment for the viewer. I intended to watch it but found myself growing weary at 10pm and switched off, especially as it wasn't delivered in the most slick way. I have respect for ITV for putting it out though. Can't help but think they could have picked a more relevant time of year though - they should have had it ready for last year's 9/11 tenth anniversary. Or waited for either 7/7 or 9/11 this year, when people are in the mood for this sort of thing.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member

That's unexpected. People were saying on here yesterday they thought it would move later to allow a shorter overlap with The Voice.

Have ITV made a conscious decision to go for the jugular now its figures are trending downwards, do you think? :confused:

Assuming BGT doesn't finish until 9pm, it doesn't leave the BBC with many options at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    The Bin Laden programme was never going to do well considering it was 2 hours long, up to 11pm on a weeknight. It's a big commitment for the viewer. I intended to watch it but found myself growing weary at 10pm and switched off, especially as it wasn't delivered in the most slick way. I have respect for ITV for putting it out though. Can't help but think they could have picked a more relevant time of year though - they should have had it ready for last year's 9/11 tenth anniversary. Or waited for either 7/7 or 9/11 this year, when people are in the mood for this sort of thing.

Being a Tuesday, they should have gone with "The Hunt for Our Missing Viewers".

Of course, there was always much more chance of finding Osama.... ;)
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    LOL. Fair play to Dom Joly (who was a relevant TV entertainer about 10 years ago) for managing to secure a high-profile ITV1 gig. You've got to admire him for that.

The ITV1 commissioners however? I think they've forgotten we're in 2012. Clutching at straws doesn't even begin to cover it...
    Haha, exactly what I was going to post. I think he's had one sketch show on BBC1 about 7 years and been on Im A Celeb but has done nothing else that viewers will have heard about in 10 years.

A truly staggering commission.
    Forum Member

Don't forget that the judges (apart from maybe Danny) have such busy schedules that it might be already too late for them to clear their diaries in Q1. They'd certainly have to make that decision right now, especially as Jessie, Will.i.am and The Script will all put albums out soon and would need notice. The BBC won't want to lose any judges, that'll be one of the highest priorities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's unexpected. People were saying on here yesterday they thought it would move later to allow a shorter overlap with The Voice.

Have ITV made a conscious decision to go for the jugular now its figures are trending downwards, do you think? :confused:

Assuming BGT doesn't finish until 9pm, it doesn't leave the BBC with many options at all.

It's not going to air for 2.5 hours solid is it?! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Haha, exactly what I was going to post. I think he's had one sketch show on BBC1 about 7 years and been on Im A Celeb but has done nothing else that viewers will have heard about in 10 years.

A truly staggering commission.

I think most people still know who he is. Trigger Happy was an iconic show, he does adverts, and appears on re-runs on the lesser channels.

Let's not give the ITVistas any ready-made excuses for it underperforming.... ;)
    Forum Member
    It's not going to air for 2.5 hours solid is it?! :eek:
    That was the plan in the original schedules.

Unless ITV have decided to split the results part out of it and run that on the Sunday.

But they haven't tweeted to say so...
    Forum Member
    BGT always has a break in the middle where they stick some rubbish on and take absolutely zero advantage of it. I think it's usually a Harry Hill repeat. The mind boggles. It won't air 6:30-9 though, I don't think that's ever happened and I think even the immature ITV schedulers would accept that's a little too unfair on fans of both BGT and The Voice. It would certainly annoy this viewer if they went for a 2 1/2 hour slot. I hate how the needs of the viewer have been forgotten in this war - both channels need to just do their job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    They're having a busy day today...

ITV Press Centre: It's back. Lewis (series six) starring Kevin Whately & Laurence Fox. Starts Wed 16 May on @ITV1 > http://itv.co/KMV23x

Currently down for 8pm-10pm. Up against The Apprentice.

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that they haven't tweeted any other times for BGT, I wonder what will be on ITV1 at 9pm? Something new? A film premiere?
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Given that they haven't tweeted any other times for BGT, I wonder what will be on ITV1 at 9pm? Something new? A film premiere?

I would put my head in my hands if they do this, but I really think it'll be The Cube. (Unless a time's already been announced for that)
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    BGT always has a break in the middle where they stick some rubbish on and take absolutely zero advantage of it. I think it's usually a Harry Hill repeat. The mind boggles. It won't air 6:30-9 though, I don't think that's ever happened and I think even the immature ITV schedulers would accept that's a little too unfair on fans of both BGT and The Voice.
    They only have The Cube in the provisional schedule though. Given its dreadful current form that could actually rate even worse in a BGT sandwich opposite The Voice than the Popstar to Operastar Curtain Raiser did last year. I suppose this is a possibility:

18.30 Britain's Got Talent: The Final
    20.30 The Cube
    21.30 Britain's Got Talent: The Final Result

The Voice could run 20.00-21.30 in that scenario.

Will somebody think of the nation's long-suffering husbands? It's going to be an awfully long night for a lot of them. :eek:
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh so ITV sense The Voice is weakening and they go for the jugular. If I was Danny Cohen I'd be worried - but both will be hit, but The Voice probably much harder.

However the BBC haven't announced their schedule yet, I'd imagine a last minute panic at BBC Towers.
    Forum Member
    They only have The Cube in the provisional schedule though. Given its dreadful current form that could actually rate even worse in a BGT sandwich opposite The Voice than the Popstar to Operastar Curtain Raiser did last year. I suppose this is a possibility:

18.30 Britain's Got Talent: The Final
    20.30 The Cube
    21.30 Britain's Got Talent: The Final Result

The Voice could run 20.00-21.30 in that scenario.

Will somebody think of the nation's long-suffering husbands? It's going to be an awfully long night for a lot of them. :eek:

I would be happy with that, and that would be ideal for The Voice - having a whole hour free of BGT against a rapidly dying format on ITV. That's why I don't think it'll happen - it'd be an open goal, ITV are too petty to make it that easy for The Voice. Although, if both channels consider the viewers, that would be the best solution.

But yeah, The Cube would collapse there. I have no idea of The Cube's demographic but I would theorise it doesn't really have any strong demos. I think it's probably one of those shows that people just settle for if there's nothing else - and now it's got opposition, it's instantly dead. ITV have far too much faith in it and there's nothing they can do to liven up the format, it's so limited. For most viewers, especially those who love talent shows, a choice between The Cube and The Voice will be a no-brainer.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Interesting to see the BBC looking at revamping the results show after the rather badly received first one. Dumping the opening coaches number, coaches singing with their singers etc etc. All the cosmetic alterations in the world wont change the feeling that its already yesterdays news when its broadcast.
    Strange when you consider that so many of the Beebs forgettable talent/lookalike shows had a live results show on Saturday.
    Forum Member
    What have ITV got lined up for summer primetime apart from the ready-made car crash Jesus Christ Superstar programme? They tried out a whole bunch of stuff last year that probably won't be back, just wondering what they're going to try this year. Any new formats?
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably BGT finishes at 9, and the Beeb really shouldn't put The Voice against it - suicide, so although 9 is V late, I don't think there's any other option.

6.25 Pointless Celebrities
    7.20 Lottery
    8.10 Casualty
    9.00 The Voice

If its a warm sunny day, the BBC will be the ones laughing.
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    Presumably BGT finishes at 9, and the Beeb really shouldn't put The Voice against it - suicide, so although 9 is V late, I don't think there's any other option.

6.25 Pointless Celebrities
    7.20 Lottery
    8.10 Casualty
    9.00 The Voice

If its a warm sunny day, the BBC will be the ones laughing.

Hmm. That sounds way too late but when you think about it there'll be nothing standing in its way, probably. Much less people watching TV generally at that time though. Maybe they should just take the hit for one week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're having a busy day today...

ITV Press Centre: It's back. Lewis (series six) starring Kevin Whately & Laurence Fox. Starts Wed 16 May on @ITV1 > http://itv.co/KMV23x

Currently down for 8pm-10pm. Up against The Apprentice.

That's a shame - two of my favourite shows, and two programmes that appeal to an upmarket ABC1 demographic. Both will be hit, and I suspect Lewis will suffer unduly as people switch after an hour.

Perhaps ITV just want to kill it off now they have Endeavour and this was reportedly the last series of Lewis, with Whately saying he'd had enough now. Even without the competition, a summer slot says it all - can you imagine brand new Morses ever airing in the summer months in the late 80s/90s?
This discussion has been closed.