Anyone Think That David Tennant could be the next Doctor?

Comments

• HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. No. No.
    Did I mention NO?
    David Tennant is gone. He was a fantastic Doctor, but his time playing the role is over and he is gone. Time to stop pining over the past and move on.

Pretty much this.
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Perhaps another way he could appear again is if there was a series of ten and a half minus Rose.

Maybe not a whole series, but I wouldn't mind seeing a special episode of this. Mainly because it would mean that even 10.5 finally got fed up of whiney, clingy little Rose and dumped her! :p
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emma_marie wrote: »
    I dont pine over the past, have loved Matt's doctor, but would love to see Tennant back.

I still don't understand why you would love to see Tennant back more than you would love to see a brand new unknown doctor? What's more interesting - seeing an old actor play the Doctor the same way he played it for four and a half years, or see a new actor with a fresh interpretation? I know what I'd prefer.
  • emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Won't happen. Tennant was the one who wanted to quit in the first place. Moffat wanted him for S5 but he declined the offer. He wanted to move on. Yes he agreed to come back for the 50th but that is one episode. I really don't think he'd want to commit to DW full time now, especially with all the PR commitment that are attached in the UK as well as the US now. He's a family man now.

Sorry but Tennant will never return to DW full time. No past Doctor will. Not in a show that has always been about change and moving on. When Smith leaves a new man will waltz off, not an old one.

You may be right, I hope your not. But nice for not jumping down my throat, and to have a debate on a forum ;) He seems to have been rushed off his feet since leaving Doctor Who though, He could just sign for a series, and leave again, knowing he would not be typecast etc.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know?

I'm bloody psychic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

Maybe not a whole series, but I wouldn't mind seeing a special episode of this. Mainly because it would mean that even 10.5 finally got fed up of whiney, clingy little Rose and dumped her! :p

I think it's much more likely that Rose would be the one to dump him because he's just a cloned blow up doll who ain't bovvered. :p
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    I'm bloody psychic.[/QUOTE

Sad
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I still don't understand why you would love to see Tennant back more than you would love to see a brand new unknown doctor? What's more interesting - seeing an old actor play the Doctor the same way he played it for four and a half years, or see a new actor with a fresh interpretation? I know what I'd prefer.

Because it would be different. David Tenannt is a wonderful actor, as is Matt Smith. I think he got a raw deal when he was in the role, and under a new team, I think he could do something even better than previous.by the way, doesnt mean everyone woman wants him back as they fancy him or dont 'get' doctor who, its about having a different opinion, and wanting to see something different. you can always have another actor come in afterwards. think that would be fresh and new and different.
    Forum Member
    I think it's much more likely that Rose would be the one to dump him because he's just a cloned blow up doll who ain't bovvered. :p

Didnt agree with your last post, but liked this :)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it would be different. David Tenannt is a wonderful actor, as is Matt Smith. I think he got a raw deal when he was in the role, and under a new team, I think he could do something even better than previous.by the way, doesnt mean everyone woman wants him back as they fancy him or dont 'get' doctor who, its about having a different opinion, and wanting to see something different. you can always have another actor come in afterwards. think that would be fresh and new and different.

How did he get a raw deal? If anything some of the best episodes of the past 8 years occured during Tennant's run.

If anyone got a raw deal, it was Colin Baker, or possible Chris Ecceleston, who had to put up with the production nightmare of a first series with a show still finding its feet.

Tennant is a great actor and he was a great doctor, but I wouldn't want to see him back (apart from a cameo appearance aka the 50th anniversary).

But do you not think after four and half years, that we've seen enough of Tennant?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    You may be right, I hope your not. But nice for not jumping down my throat, and to have a debate on a forum ;) He seems to have been rushed off his feet since leaving Doctor Who though, He could just sign for a series, and leave again, knowing he would not be typecast etc.

Tennant struggled for a couple of years after leaving Who. He was typecast sadly and only now has he really started ridding himself of it. Going back full time would kill that progress. He won't do it sadly for you.
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    How did he get a raw deal? If anything some of the best episodes of the past 8 years occured during Tennant's run.

If anyone got a raw deal, it was Colin Baker, or possible Chris Ecceleston, who had to put up with the production nightmare of a first series with a show still finding its feet.

Tennant is a great actor and he was a great doctor, but I wouldn't want to see him back (apart from a cameo appearance aka the 50th anniversary).

But do you not think after four and half years, that we've seen enough of Tennant?

IMO he got a raw deal, as the majority of RTD stories were more child/family centred, and quite right at that time too. Love or Loathe Moffatt you cant deny the difference in this era to RTD. And its in this new era id like to see what David Tennant would do. I agree with you totally, if we saw the 'same' RTD doctor again, then no I would not want him to come back, but as I said previously, a different production/writing team, coupled with Tennants amazing range of acting would see something new.
    Forum Member
    Tennant struggled for a couple of years after leaving Who. He was typecast sadly and only now has he really started ridding himself of it. Going back full time would kill that progress. He won't do it sadly for you.

How did he struggle? he had offers pouring in for work. Hamlet? various movie roles, single father, radio work. Co starred with Catherine tate in her Christmas special. And thats just on the top of my head, his done loads since Doctor Who, cant comment on Broadchurch as didn't appeal to me.

Guess what, im not a sad fan who wants him "do it for me" but im sure there are lots of people who would like to see him back.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    While I would have liked to see Tennant's doctor away from RTD I've moved on and certainly do not want to see him back full time, I'm still struggling with idea of him coming back for one episode (although that's more to do with his fans and the no doubt relentless "Tennant showing Smith how it's done" posts.)
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks. Why can some people not just let him go? He's coming back for the special and you have numerous episodes to watch again and again.

It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the show to think this should or could happen.
    Forum Member
    While I would have liked to see Tennant's doctor away from RTD I've moved on and certainly do not want to see him back full time, I'm still struggling with idea of him coming back for one episode (although that's more to do with his fans and the no doubt relentless "Tennant showing Smith how it's done" posts.)

Thats a shame if thats the case, as Matt does not need to be shown anything from Tennant, his equally as great in his own right. Hope you dont think im one of those annoying fans, who only see the doctor as David Tennant as I dont, just want to see him back, and see what he would do different in this new era.
    Forum Member
    No thanks. Why can some people not just let him go? He's coming back for the special and you have numerous episodes to watch again and again.

It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the show to think this should or could happen.

Please tell me how I misunderstand the show?? by the way, do you not want any of the classic doctors to be in the 50th??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please tell me how I misunderstand the show?? by the way, do you not want any of the classic doctors to be in the 50th??

I would point you to one of the most famous Classic Who quotes to answer your first point.

And no. I am ambivalent to the return of the old doctors. I want a great episode and some nice references. Which we are clearly getting as the new thread with set pics from a certain location proves.
    Forum Member
    I would point you to one of the most famous Classic Who quotes to answer your first point.

And no. I am ambivalent to the return of the old doctors. I want a great episode and some nice references. Which we are clearly getting as the new thread with set pics from a certain location proves.

So whats the difference in wanting to see another Doctor back for a series rather than a one off??? dont see your argument personally, surely you have all of the classic who boxsets you can go back and watch??? think people who try to be clever, and try to make people look stupid on here is ridiculous, so you dont agree with me, thats fine, a lot of people would disagree with me that CE was a crap doctor, but I dont want to try and undermine them. they have as much right to their opinion as mine, im simply giving you reasons why I would like to see Tennant back, and have a discussion, whether I agree with you or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So whats the difference in wanting to see another Doctor back for a series rather than a one off??? dont see your argument personally, surely you have all of the classic who boxsets you can go back and watch??? think people who try to be clever, and try to make people look stupid on here is ridiculous, so you dont agree with me, thats fine, a lot of people would disagree with me that CE was a crap doctor, but I dont want to try and undermine them. they have as much right to their opinion as mine, im simply giving you reasons why I would like to see Tennant back, and have a discussion, whether I agree with you or not.

Sorry? I joined the discussion and disagreed with your desire to see Tennant return. No one is ridiculing anyone. I just think it to be against the spirit of the show for numerous reasons.

Yet again we have someone posting an opinion and asking for comments and then getting upset when people reply negatively. How many times? Its the point of a forum. No one is attacking you or disrespecting you. I just happen to think the idea of Tennant returning is a bad one.
    Forum Member
    Sorry? I joined the discussion and disagreed with your desire to see Tennant return. No one is ridiculing anyone. I just think it to be against the spirit of the show for numerous reasons.

Yet again we have someone posting an opinion and asking for comments and then getting upset when people reply negatively. How many times? Its the point of a forum. No one is attacking you or disrespecting you. I just happen to think the idea of Tennant returning is a bad one.

Im not upset or angry, but if you read some of the reply's you will again see people who dont agree with the OP trying to sound clever and arrogant, not directly aimed at you. Think there is more to life than to get upset or angry about a Doctor Who forums personally, but il hold my own if I think People are tyring to have a discussion, with a underlying current of trying to make someone look stupid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not upset or angry, but if you read some of the reply's you will again see people who dont agree with the OP trying to sound clever and arrogant, not directly aimed at you. Think there is more to life than to get upset or angry about a Doctor Who forums personally, but il hold my own if I think People are tyring to have a discussion, with a underlying current of trying to make someone look stupid.

Well I can only speak for myself. It is no offence to you as an individual. I don't think your post is 'stupid'. Its what you want and that's fine. I just strongly disagree and think it would be a terrible idea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However. While I really don't want Tennant back there is an interesting point you do raise especially when you consider we came fairly close to getting a Moffat and Tennant series. It will always be one of those 'what if?' things and is fun to wonder but no more than that.

I think Tennant himself had gotten too comfortable in the role and was sleepwalking through his final year. Would a new production team have invigorated him? We will never know.
    Forum Member
    However. While I really don't want Tennant back there is an interesting point you do raise especially when you consider we came fairly close to getting a Moffat and Tennant series. It will always be one of those 'what if?' things and is fun to wonder but no more than that.

I think Tennant himself had gotten too comfortable in the role and was sleepwalking through his final year. Would a new production team have invigorated him? We will never know.

If Matt was never cast (Dread to think) do you think we would have had a completely different doctor with Tennant under Moffatt? im genuinely interested in others idea's (Dr Who Geekess)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Matt was never cast (Dread to think) do you think we would have had a completely different doctor with Tennant under Moffatt? im genuinely interested in others idea's (Dr Who Geekess)

I think there was a variation for the Amy Pond storyline that would have incorporated the fact it was to be Tennants swan song. I don't have the quote to hand but am sure someone can dig it out.

I don't think Tennant would have changed the characterisation of his Doctor much but the new writers and directors and companions might have put some spark back and it would have been a whole new era. I don't think it would have worked anything like as well as Matt starting then. Would have felt like a hangover. It was better to wipe the slate clean as happened.

Tennant clearly felt it was time to go as he wasn't forced out. Quite the opposite by all accounts.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a lot of ways David Tennant has become the new Tom Baker, as in having fans who are actually detrimental to Doctor Who. Let DT make his naff films and other decent tv shows, and let the show move on! He has, and good for him. :)