Horizon: How You Really Make Decisions, BBC2 9pm, 24 Feb

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03wyr3c

Every day you make thousands of decisions, big and small, and behind all them is a powerful battle in your mind, pitting intuition against logic.

Radio Times http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cs5wnm/horizon--horizon-how-you-really-make-decisions

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

Time for a bit of "navel gazing?"

I often make carefully considered decisions, weighing up all the disadvantages.

Then I say to myself. "Sod it! I'm doing it!"

and I have few regrets..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "A battle between intuition and logic."
    Hmm.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I answered those questions logically. Smugface time :D
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,130
    Forum Member
    Bet the producers loved that slow-mo of the black girl's tits:D
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I wish I wasn't so well-read in a wide range of scientific literature. Every Horizon has been on a subject that I already know about in much greater detail than the show goes into.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I'm 2/3 into "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, it's a fascinating book.

Over on General Discussion, on the religion/atheism threads, some people claim they are rational, ... if only they knew.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My favourite cognitive bias is the rhyme-as-reason effect which results in statements being regarded as more truthful when they are made to rhyme. #wtf
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some similarities with Liam Hudson's convergent and divergent thinkers.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My intuition told me that chap was going to get it right before the head count. (The cyber attack thingy) :D
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wall street

QUICK BET THE COMPANY PAYROLL
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good programme. I didn't feel patronised as I have in several recent Horizons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    I'm 2/3 into "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman, it's a fascinating book.

Over on General Discussion, on the religion/atheism threads, some people claim they are rational, ... if only they knew.

This programme so reminded me of the current thread, especially KJ. :D

I really like Professor Kahneman. Thanks for the heads up on the book. I'm going to look it up, and maybe buy a copy. I say maybe because I have so many books to read atm.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Good programme. I didn't feel patronised as I have in several recent Horizons.

I'd like to see a follow-up focussing on strategies to minimise the effect of cognitive bias.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that was brilliant but that could just be my intuition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I think that was brilliant but that could just be my intuition.

Agreed. :cool:

Thought it went over too quickly though. I'd like to see more programmes on this.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    My favourite cognitive bias is the rhyme-as-reason effect which results in statements being regarded as more truthful when they are made to rhyme. #wtf

can't be right. gangsta rap, blood :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegraph review
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10658646/Horizon-How-You-Really-Make-Decisions-review.html

Professor Daniel Kahneman is an eminent psychologist, and has won a Nobel Prize for his work on behavioural economics. Kahneman’s theory is that human beings are nowhere near as rational as we think we are – and that, in fact, most of our decisions are made by a separate, more intuitive psychological system, which is biased both by our species’ evolution and by our own previous experiences.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telegraph review
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10658646/Horizon-How-You-Really-Make-Decisions-review.html

Professor Daniel Kahneman is an eminent psychologist, and has won a Nobel Prize for his work on behavioural economics. Kahneman’s theory is that human beings are nowhere near as rational as we think we are – and that, in fact, most of our decisions are made by a separate, more intuitive psychological system, which is biased both by our species’ evolution and by our own previous experiences.

There are exceptions though. My view of Horizon is that making the mstake of watching it is generally a waste of an hour. And on that basis I wasn't planning to watch that episode. However, from the description it did appear to be sufficiently different from their normal stream of annoying background music, irrelevant graphics and a "repeat everything from the past 5 minutes, every 5 minutes" format to be worth a shot.
    And it was. So even my cognitive bias against the programme can be overcome. :p
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    This series of Horizon is generally quite good so far. Some offerings from previous series have been rather poor.

They obviously aren't aimed at people who are expert in the fields they cover, obviously. They have detailed papers to read in the journals.

I was assuming that some reference would be made to previous research about the subconscious making decisions before the conscious mind appeared to make its mind up.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13658-brain-scanner-predicts-your-future-moves.html#.UwvnuoVvDS1

But obviously, with only an hour to play with, they just looked at the results of those processes - and did a moderately good job of it I thought. :) I'm sure they could fill 8 hour-long programmes with this topic but I doubt the audience would turn up.

For several years I've been aware of my cognitive biases and try to adjust for them. Sometimes it helps. :)
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Flawed question early on. There are many more words starting with an R as you can add re- to most words.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    My intuition told me that chap was going to get it right before the head count. (The cyber attack thingy) :D

Racist.