Football is so dull and boring!

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Football at the top level can be sublime. When the likes of Suarez, Aguero, Hazard, et al are buzzing, it can be great to watch. However, lower down the Premiership, and then below that, it can be extremely boring. If you measure in goals scored, you could call that exciting, but skill levels vary enormously.

Basically you need a billionaire owner as they buy up most of the best players for their big squads. It doesn't help the game though as the strength of a sport is in its depth.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    I do have a small amount of sympathy for people who don't like football during a World Cup, you literally cant get away from it, its everywhere. As a huge football fan I cant wait, but I can see why it would start to grate on people that don't like it.

But moaning that its "dull" is a little bit pointless, fair enough that its dull to you but its obviously not to the millions of people around the world that love it. I personally don't like rugby, golf or cricket but I can accept thats just my personal taste, and there's millions of people that would disagree with me. Each to their own :cool:

It's much easier to avoid other sports though. Like I said earlier, it's the football saturating everything that irritates most of those who aren't interested. You rarely hear folk complaining about coverage of golf or cricket because they don't take over adverts, the news, the papers, shows that are usually sport free zones etc.

Anyway, as I said...hopefully the weather will improve so I can get out and about and leave the telly to the fans for a few weeks. :D
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    Basically you need a billionaire owner as they buy up most of the best players for their big squads. It doesn't help the game though as the strength of a sport is in its depth.

11th place, no billionaire, gave Chelsea and Liverpool a shock. :cool:
  • Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »

OK, maybe one more thing to add :D

I wouldn't say you can't get away from it per se. Yes, it comes up in conversation a lot, but I'm sure there are tons of TV channels, radio stations and sites devoted to other things too. It'll be more or less the same as the Olympics, when I wasn't interested in watching an event I found it relatively easy to just watch/listen to something else.

I do know what you mean, Im not a fan of the olympics at all and managed to avoid most of it but I didnt just mean the TV/radio etc, I was walking through the city centre with a friend who hates football a few days ago, and she kept pointing out the world cup references everywhere, its seems every shop/pub/bar has some theme or WC promotions going on.

I can kind of understand why that would annoy someone who hates it tbh... even tho its only once every 4 years. Personally I cant bloody wait, 1 day to go ;-)
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I fancy Steven Gerrard. This adds an extra frisson to watching
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    Lisa.J wrote: »
    I do know what you mean, Im not a fan of the olympics at all and managed to avoid most of it but I didnt just mean the TV/radio etc, I was walking through the city centre with a friend who hates football a few days ago, and she kept pointing out the world cup references everywhere, its seems every shop/pub/bar has some theme or WC promotions going on.

go ;-)

The pubs and shops are advertising because they know it will be a busy time and want to boost their revenue big time.

The Olympics in London was 24/7 in the end because we did so well - maybe not before with all the hype.

In cricket people talk about the Ashes (didn't we do well there!) but not much as there isn't the interest and golf is seen more as an individual sport apart from the Ryder Cup.

Mainly those sports are on Sky which might make a difference.

Tennis is the best example of people coming out of the woodwork in terms of a major event - Wimbledon.

Most who probably go or watch never watch another match all year.

EDIT: Having just see the Mail website with articles about how some players have tattoos and an England fan has hung loads of flags on his house I can see how the media can go OTT with the general coverage.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    The pubs and shops are advertising because they know it will be a busy time and want to boost their revenue big time.

The Olympics in London was 24/7 in the end because we did so well - maybe not before with all the hype.

In cricket people talk about the Ashes (didn't we do well there!) but not much as there isn't the interest and golf is seen more as an individual sport apart from the Ryder Cup.

Mainly those sports are on Sky which might make a difference.

Tennis is the best example of people coming out of the woodwork in terms of a major event - Wimbledon.

Most who probably go or watch never watch another match all year.

Yes one thing that makes me laugh is German Supermarket LIDL advertising England merchandise.! For some reason i can see humour in this.:D
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some football matches can be boring (I speak as a fan) but then so are threads complaining about it.

Have to say though, while I love the World Cup and European Championship, international football as a whole bores me to tears, I look out for how Ireland do but I'll not watch every single friendly.

Conversely rugby is the opposite. I'll keep an eye on the Irish club sides in the Pro12 and the Heineken (or whatever the hell it's just been rebranded as) but I wouldn't be glued to the TV when they're on whereas come the 6 Nations, summer tours, Autumn internationals etc I'm glued to the TV.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conversely rugby is the opposite. I'll keep an eye on the Irish club sides in the Pro12 and the Heineken (or whatever the hell it's just been rebranded as) but I wouldn't be glued to the TV when they're on whereas come the 6 Nations, summer tours, Autumn internationals etc I'm glued to the TV.

I'm a part-timer when it comes to rugby (union). I don't follow the domestic/European club game at all and I can hardly name a single player but as soon as the Six Nations or World Cup comes around I'll be down the pub singing "Swing Low..."

As for rugby league, I don't even care when their World Cup is on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I'm a part-timer when it comes to rugby (union). I don't follow the domestic/European club game at all and I can hardly name a single player but as soon as the Six Nations or World Cup comes around I'll be down the pub singing "Swing Low..."

As for rugby league, I don't even care when their World Cup is on.

I don't follow league at all. Apparently Ireland have a team but I don't think they're too good.

Whereas their union counterparts are well known.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These threads are just stupid. if you don't like football, don't watch it, it's that simple. Tv is full of crap every day, and I don't watch most of it, and only choose to watch what I want.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These threads are just stupid. if you don't like football, don't watch it, it's that simple. Tv is full of crap every day, and I don't watch most of it, and only choose to watch what I want.

Yeah there were people in my (then) workplace who complained about the Olympics 2 years ago.

It's two weeks every 4 years on ONE channel! (Okay BBC2 as well).

Although I did complain that it took University Challenge off the air. God forbid we have to go a day without Eastenders (!)
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes one thing that makes me laugh is German Supermarket LIDL advertising England merchandise.! For some reason i can see humour in this.:D

In Germany they'll be advertising Germany merchandise. And in Italy they'll be advertising Italy merchandise. Repeat ad nauseum for each country that Lidl has branches in, where that nation is also taking part in the World Cup.

Do you find it comical that Asda (owned by Walmart, an American company) are also selling England football tat?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Germany they'll be advertising Germany merchandise. And in Italy they'll be advertising Italy merchandise. Repeat ad nauseum for each country that Lidl has branches in, where that nation is also taking part in the World Cup.

Do you find it comical that Asda (owned by Walmart, an American company) are also selling England football tat?

Yes as i refuse to shop in walmart owned ASDA sh-t company look on the internet for details google Walmart good employers..;-)

Americans selling football tat to turn a buck never.:D:D
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is Psychic Octopus available in the seafood section?
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    No, I think the Premier League annoys plenty more people, including many football fans in lower divisions, and even those in it who know they will always be also rans just struggling to keep up. They need to learn about the excitement of parity and how this has made the NFL successful.

This is the same NFL which is made up of franchises and teams that can up sticks and move half way across the the country at the drop of a hat? Its got no soul. I'll stick to the Premier League even if it is a rich man's play thing now. I support a team which has come up from the lower leagues to the PL too but has had some success recently so I know both sides of the coin. Been a hell of a ride to get there and you couldn't do that in the American Sport structure.
  • AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Duplicate post sorry.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,175
    Forum Member
    KMKYWAP wrote: »
    You're the only person that thinks this.

That is a rather sweeping statement, there are plenty of us who have no interest in football, but it really isn't too difficult to avoid if you don't like it. I sit in the garden all day while we have this lovely weather, and then catch up on all the DVD's I have been meaning to watch in the evening.
  • Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main problem with football is the endless media coverage. No other sport comes within light years of the analysis, fat chewing and post mortems, pre match build ups of the game.

Also, hardly any other games generate so much interest at local level.

If the Yorkshire tennis champion was playing the Hertfordshire No.1, would you buy tickets? Not really like watching Murray v Federer or Nadal
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dull & boring? Did the Op watch last nights Spain v Holland match? I don't think so.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Dull & boring? Did the Op watch last nights Spain v Holland match? I don't think so.

Yep, awful wasn't it? The analysis was strangely superb for the BBC as well.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member

Also, hardly any other games generate so much interest at local level.

Rugby is quite well populated in certain areas (League - North as an example) of the country but I guess you are right.

Look at the difference between country and international cricket in terms of attendances..

Football is generally played at a time when people can go (weekends, evenings) which helps and there are so many clubs to choose from (presume that is what you meant by local?)
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not a real man if you don't like football.

It's a tribal sport.

Would you not defend your country if called upon in a war?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, awful wasn't it? The analysis was strangely superb for the BBC as well.

Was it so awful that you forced yourself to watch all of it? If you didn't like that then maybe football isn't the game for you.

It's a fantastic weekend for football and sport in general. We've already had the rugby from New Zealand, there's the cricket from Lords, lots of football and then there's the tennis and golf if you prefer something with smaller balls.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Was it so awful that you forced yourself to watch all of it? If you didn't like that then maybe football isn't the game for you.

It's a fantastic weekend for football and sport in general. We've already had the rugby from New Zealand, there's the cricket from Lords, lots of football and then there's the tennis and golf if you prefer something with smaller balls.

I don't think he was being serious about it being awful.:)