213 in 2013

Comments

• Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Katie-Jane wrote: »
    20) Inferno by Dan Brown

That should be 21 not 20 - I missed one out!
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    36. Bring Up The Bodies by Hilary Mantel (2nd-11th June) – a book which really pulled me into its world and made me want to keep reading. Yes, the narrative style is a tad irritating at times, but it was quite compulsive. Looking forward to part 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    29. Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese. Not one of my better choices.
    I agree. Very disappointing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. Pantheon of the Dead (The Hidden Academy) - Jon Rosenberg
    12. The War Poems- Siegfried Sassoon
    13. The Shadow of the Night (All Souls Trilogy2)- Deborah Harkness
    14. The Buddha of Suburbia - Hanif Kureishi
    15. Disenchanted- Robert Kroese
    16. In One Person- John Irving
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babysweet wrote: »
    I agree. Very disappointing.
    I thought that the idea of Heaven and Hell being run as bureaucracies was quite interesting, but the book was so boring. I was expecting something along the lines of Andy Hamilton's Old Harry's Game.
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22) Cruel and Unusual by Patricia Cornwell
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>
    189. Savage Dragon 2006 to 2007 - Erik Larsen etc. 8/10
    Image Comics, 458 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Savage Dragon #'122-134… the unstoppable series moves up another gear as finally… Mr Glum strikes and oh what damage he causes! To me these will always be known as the 'Mr Glum years'... splended stuff from Larsen.
    190. Savage Dragon 2008 - 2009 - Erik Larsen etc. 8/10
    Image Comics, 598 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Savage Dragon #'135-155… the unstoppable superb series continues… as ever Dragon dies, Dragon lives, Dragon dies, Dragon lives… and an old nemeisis returns.

191. Fables volumes 1-3 - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham etc. 8/10
    Vertigo (DC Comics), 414 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Re-reading all The Fables books - Fables #1-18. The first two years of the Fables franchise with Legends in Exile, Animal Farm & Storybook Love, in the world where the Adversary has conquered the fable homelands and the survivors are in exile on Earth! Beauty & the Beast, Boy Blue, Sleeping Beauty, Three Bears, Goldilocks, King Cole, Rose Red, Bigby the Wolf, Snow White, Prince Charming, Bluebeard etc.
    192. Fables volumes 4-6 - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham etc. 7/10
    Vertigo (DC Comics), 576 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Fables #19-41 and Fables: The battle for Fabletown; the mean seasons and change of power; the Jack Of Tales Hollywood adventure and; the Homelands. Willingham's great story continues with many twist, turns and ever expanding story arcs.
    193. 1001 Nights of Snowfall - Bill Willingham 7/10
    Titan Books Ltd, 144 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Willingham's well written and sometimes beautifully painted pre-quel to his Fables series. Snow White has to entertain a Sultanm whilst on a diplomatic mission to the Arabian Fables and does so by recounting ten Homeland tales. Typically crossed with real darkness, but often tinged with black humour the engaging Fables world pre and during the Adversary conquest is explored by Willingham.
    194. Fables volumes 7-9 - Bill Willingham, Mark Buckingham etc. 7/10
    Vertigo (DC Comics), 438 pages
    <Graphic Novel> My great Fables re-read continues with… Fables #42-59, Arabian Nights (and Days), Wolves and Sons of Empire; a period that includes some great and daring missions in the Homelands.
    195. Jack Of Fables volumes 1-3 - Bill Willingham & Matthew Sturges 8/10
    Vertigo (DC Comics), 370 pages
    <Graphic Novel> Jack of Fables #1-15. At times, he more darker, but also funnier companion title to Fables, including fourth wall breaking antics as well as introducing the Literals and the Storyverse.

196. The Man Who Forgot His Wife - John O'Farrell 7/10
    Black Swann (Random House) , 392 pages
    <Comedy>
    A man finds himself on a tube train… with no memory of his past at all… a pretty funny book that follows this man, Vaughan on the journey of not only getting his memory back but his work, friends and family. A pretty funny book about love, life and… divorce.

197. The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow 6/10
    Bantam Books (Random House), 250 pages
    <Science> Obviously science based analysis looking at the answers to the ultimate questions of life… like when and how did the universe begin, why are we here, is there a God etc. Interesting and thought provoking stuff.

198. Why Didn't They Ask Evans - Agatha Christie 7/10
    Harper (HarperCollins), 361 pages
    <Modern Classic>
    A wonderful rollicking classic Agatha Christie tale with two old friends, one male, one female of different classes drawn into a conspiracy that starts with an alleged 'accident' on a cliff side. I remember the TV adaption of this being marketed heavily as a great story.. and indeed it is.

199. What It Was - George Pelecanos 8/10
    Orion Books (Hachette UK), 246 pages
    <Crime>
    Derek Strange and Terry Quinn-5. Strange relates a tale to Nick Stefanos, about the day just before Watergate broke in 1972, when the DC locals look back and remember not the fall of Nixon but the rampage of 'Red Fury' and 'Coco' as witnessed and investigated by a young Strange and his police 'friend' Frank 'Hound Dog' Vaughn. Published in 2012, and Pelecanos is still produccing these gems set in DC amongst the Black, Greek and White communities and the police that try to police them. Love it!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    7) Dirty girls on top - Alisa Valdes Rodriguez
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    181) Wife 22 - Melanie Gideon
    182) The Juliette Society - Sasha Grey
    183) S is for Silence - Sue Grafton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30. Edward Adrift by Craig Lancaster.
    The follow up to 600 Hours of Edward. Edward feels that his life is adrift. His therapist has retired, his friends Donna and Kyle have moved away and he has lost his job. When he learns that Kyle has been in trouble at school Edward sets off on a road trip to visit his friends and to try to help out. He is not an enthusiastic driver and prefers to only take right turns in his shiny red Cadillac.

This is a delightful second instalment in the life of Edward, a 42 year-old with Asperger's Syndrome and OCD. Edward is a great character and Craig Lancaster tells his story with warmth and humour.

Highly recommended, you need to read 600 Hours of Edward first though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    37. My sister lives on the mantelpiece by Annabel Pitcher (11th-15th June) – I mainly read this because the title is epic. It took some unexpected twists and turns but was largely quite a good book, although I wouldn’t have raved about it as the reviews did. I also won’t be using it as a set text for my students as I can’t face the repeated ‘********’.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    38. Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan (15th June) – the first of a run of books I’m reading as I consider what to put on the curriculum for next year. This has some good press so I tried it. It was alright and I can imagine some children will enjoy it. It’s not too mainstream so they likely won’t already know what happens. It does annoy me that Darren Shan is a pseudonym and his overuse of exclamation marks. I’m also not sure if it’s not too weird for a class reader, but I’ll pass it on as a maybe.
  • Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    15) Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    184) The Secret of Crickley Hall - James Herbert
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    39. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (and Siobhan Dowd) (15th-16th June) – a novel dreamt up by Dowd and brought into the world by Ness after her untimely death. I’ve never adored any of Dowd’s novels, but I did love Ness’s Chaos Walking trilogy. And good grief this is a brilliant book. I loved it.
  • MrstimmyMrstimmy Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even remember the books I've read, and it's only been a few!

Just finished A Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes - don't think I could have been more disappointed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    185) Recipe for Life - Nicky Pellegrino

I've read much more than usual this year. I've a busy few weeks ahead but wonderi f I can hit 200 at the half-way point?
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8) Lauren's Saints of dirty faith- Alisa Valdes Rodriguez
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11. Hitman: Enemy Within - William C. Dietz
    12. The Dead Zone - Stephen King.
    13. Princess Bride - William Goldman.
    14. Firestarter - Stephen King.
    15. The Casual Vacancy - J. K. Rowling.
    16. Short Fuses - Stephen Leather.
    17. I'm Celibate Get Me Out of Here: The Memoirs of an Internet Dater - Jo Elliott.
    18. Hitman: Damnation - Raymond Benson.
    19. Roadwork - Richard Bachman.
    20. Red Dragon - Thomas Harris.
    21. Cujo - Stephen King.
    22. Nazi Zombie Army: GÖTTERDÄMMERUNG - Jonathan Green.
    23. The Running Man - Richard Bachman.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    31. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. Audiobook narrated by Hannah Gordon.

Well written and structured and very good narration by Hannah Gordon. It kept me listening to the end, all 23 hours of it. BUT I disliked Penelope Keeling and all members of her family intensely. The book has glowing reviews and I'm obviously in a very small minority.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Button62 wrote: »
    15. A Dark Matter ~ Peter Straub ... truly awful, I couldn't wait to finish it and shame on Stephen King for recommending it.
    16. In the Dark ~ Mark Billingham. I enjoyed this one.
    17. Girl Missing ~ Tess Gerritsen. Early novel, not too great to be honest, but an easy read.
    18. The Drop ~ Michael Connelly. I love Harry Bosch.

19. Lost River ~ Stephen Booth. Great series of police in Derbyshire.
    20. Not Dead Yet ~ Peter James. Not his best, but I love the Roy Grace series.
    21. The Surrogate ~ Tania Carver. Newish author for me, not bad.
    22. Life went On Volume 1
    23. Life went On Volume 2 ~ History of my hometown during WW1. Fascinating.
    24. The Works of the Bronte Sisters ~ Collection of poems written under their pseudonyms.
    25. Bloodline ~ Mark Billingham ~ Tom Thorne at his best.
    26. Love you More ~ Lisa Gardner. She is turning into a favourite of mine, loved this.
    27. From The Dead ~ Mark Billingham.
    28. Every Fear ~ Rick Mofina. Never heard of him but this tale of a snatched child was very good and will look out for more by this author.

I am so slow this year, must try harder !
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    46. Monarchy: The Beginnings - David Starkey
    47. Monarchy: England and her rulers from the Tudors to the Windsors - David Starkey
    48. The Casual Vacancy - J.K. Rowling
    49. Divergent - Veronica Roth
    50. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

51. The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales - The Brothers Grimm
    52. Velocity - Dean Koontz
    53. South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami
    54. The State of Africa: A History of Fifty Years of Independence - Martin Meredith
    55. Lessons in Mindfulness - Jon Kabat-Zinn
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29. The other daughter - Lisa Gardner.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. No Angel ~ Penny Vincenzi
    5. Something Dangerous ~ Penny Vincenzi.

Read all her books and love them, they are my comfort go to books when not feeling too good like at the moment. Definitely my favourite author.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    boobyloo wrote: »
    21) The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain

This was a really interesting concept for a book and I ended up really enjoying it. A few reviews said it wasn't realistic but after after recent stories of people being locked in basements for years I didn't find it too much of a stretch to be honest. I thought the characters had depth and with the plot it did really got me thinking... Second book of hers I've read and enjoyed (this one more that The Midwife's Confession)

22) The Bay at Midnight - Diane Chamerlain

I loved this book!!! The story was so engaging and I loved that it went back and forth between different people and different times. Best read of the year so far for me.

23) The Shadow Wife - Diane Chamberlain

This was another great read form this author. Really enjoy her writting and find it very easy to get lost in her work.

24) The Lies we Told - Diane Chamberlain

I feel bad saying I didn't like this one as I finished it and it wasn't so much that it was bad or a struggle but after reading her other books I just found this one wasn't as good. Still a decent read though and certainly hasn't put me off her books.

25) Before the Storm - Diane Chamberlain

Back to a really strong book with this one. Was a really sad story but a wonderful read. Can't wait to get some more of her books!!!