398) The Birthday - Julie Highmore
  • Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    46) F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    113. A Little History of Literature by John Sutherland (26th-28th December) – a really readable run-down and critique of literature through the ages.
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    399) Love from both sides - Nick Spalding
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    114. Killer by Sara Shepard (28th-29th December) - twists and turns aplenty. Much love for this series.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off topic, but I am astounded by the amount of books some people manage to read in a year!

I will join you next year but I am going to aim to read one a week, or should I push myself and aim for 100 in a year? I have 3 days to decide!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    69. The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory.
  • Purple85Purple85 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi all, will be taking part in this thread in 2014 - looking forward to joining in!
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    49. Say Goodbye ~ Lisa Gardner
    50. The Racketeer ~ John Grisham
    51. Northamptonshire Memories ~ Francis Frith

So here I am, one book short of my annual target and no further reading time available.

Welcome to new contributors who are joining next year, it's always nice to see what others are reading. Just so you are aware it's not about quantity, but the pleasure of your own personal reading. It's not a race on here, no one gets a prize for being the " best ". I cannot fathom how people can read the amount of books they do either. I always set a target of 52, and anything above that is a bonus for me as real life tends to get in the way somewhat !!

See you all next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with setting a conservative target, 52 is a good number of books to read in a year. I started with 52 this year and reached that by the summer so upped it to 75 and when I passed that I thought I may as well go for 104 being double my original goal. I'm now on book 108 of 2013 but there was a point where I wasn't sure I'd reach 104 and started stressing about it a bit, which is silly!

Quality is much more important that quantity and if you are reading books just to reach a total then it takes the fun out of it. :)
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I think 52 is reasonable. 100 seemed like a good idea but once I'm back in work won;t be feasible!

I want to count any I have started since Christmas day though. I will do 25/12/2013-24/12/2014 :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    31 Tigers In Red Weather- Lisa Glassman
    32 My Last Duchess - Daisy Goodwin
    33 The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    34 The Pride - Alexi Kaye Campbell
    35 The Bone Dragon - Alexia Casale.

My original aim was 30 and I made it to 35. I am chuffed.

I think my aim next year is to reach 50 and to read some more of the classics and some of the children's classics I read years ago and those I have never read before.

I am looking forward to posting with you all next year and reading lots of wonderful books.
  • tinyangeltinyangel Posts: 1,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    53. The moving finger - Agatha Christie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I lost my way in this tread last year so I will be joining in for 2014... and making sure I keep it updated. Happy New Year to everyone!!! XX
  • OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    400) Rachel Hore - The Silent Tide

A good read to end the year on. This has been the most I have ever read in a year but I think the momentum carried me on. I do agree that quality and not quantity is what matters. I read a lot partly because I am a fast reader and partly because I have a long commute each day.

Next year my target is going to be 300 books
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    1 - A Year Like No Other by Pauline Lawless
    2 - How To Save A Life by Sara Zarr
    3 - Twisted by Sara Shepard
    4 - Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
    5 - Private Lives by Tasmina Perry
    6 - You Came Back by Christopher Coake
    7 - The Power Trip by Jackie Collins
    8 - One Perfect Summer by Paige Toon
    9 - Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
    10 - Temptation Island by Victoria Fox
    11 - You're The One That I Don't Want by Alexandra Potter
    12 - Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella
    13 - Original Sin by Tasmina Perry
    14 - Goddess Of Vengeance by Jackie Collins
    15 - Diva by Carrie Duffy
    16 - Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult
    17 - This Child Of Mine by Sinead Moriarty
    18 - Too Hot To Handle by Katie Agnew
    19 - House Rules by Jodi Picoult
    20 - Witches Of East End by Melissa de la Cruz

I'm hoping that I will read more in 2014. I seem to be reading less every year. I might try to aim for 50.
  • Purple85Purple85 Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I'm going to suggest 50 books for myself in 2014. It may be more - I think it usually is but have never kept a proper count before - but I'm at evening college as well as work this year so 50 is prob a safe bet. Looking forward to keeping track and seeing what everybody else is reading in 2014!
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SWW (SWW) wrote: »
    <snip>

401. Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire - J K Rowling 9/10
    Bloomsbury, 636 pages
    <Fantasy>
    Reading this a second time round has been thrilling, I never really appreciated the
    dark turn the series takes with this installment, with the Quiddich World Cop, the return of the Deatheaters, the Tri-Wizard Tournament and the return of you know who!
    Great read. Great adventure. Great story.

402. WItchblade 1998-1999 - David Wohl, Christina Z, Michael Turner etc. 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 563 pags <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #20-36, three specials and the Witchblade Darkness crossover. This phase still sees Sara sturggling to accept what she is, as her past and present fall apart all around her… enjoyable and innovative series of police procedure, corruption, modelling, romance, magic etc. all rolled into one.
    403. The Darkness 1996-1998 - Garth Ennis, Marc Silvestri, David Wohl, Christina Z, J oe Benitez, Malachy Coney etc. 8/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 408 pages <Graphic Novel> The Darkness #1-18… sister book to Withcblade… great premise with a top Mafia hitman getting endowed with the heredity power of the Darkness… morally grey and some great ideas and arcs.
    404. The Darkness 1999-2001 - Steve Lobdell, David Wohl, Joe Benitez, Malachy Coney etc. 8/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 551 pages <Graphic Novel> The Darkness #19-40 and the Batman / The Darkness special… sees Steve Lobdell continue, and at times improve on The Darkness concept as Jackie Estacado begins to realise... that, with great power, comes great responsibility.
    405. Witchblade 2000-2001 - Paul Jenkins, David Wohl, Christina Z etc. 7/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 568 pages <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #37-51 and numerous specials including Destiny's Child #1-3. Sara starts to get more seroius about her destiny as more is revealed to her and more happens to her.
    406. Witchblade 2002-2003 - David Wohl, Francis Manapaul etc. 5/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 606 pages <Graphic Novel> Witchblade #52-71, Tomb Raider #25, Evo #1 and 4 specials. More is revealed about Nottingham and we also see the introduction of Frank Bernard.
    407. Tom Judge - Paul Jenkins, Clayton Crain etc. 5/10
    Top Cow [Image Comics], 224 pages <Graphic Novel> Collecting Tom Judge and Tilly's adventures with the Rapture artifcat in Universe #1-8 and Tom Judge: End of Days.

408. The Flash (Mark Waid) 1997 - 1998 - Grant Morrison, Mark Millar 6/10
    D C Comics, 315 pages <Graphic Novel> The Flash volume two #1130-141 and Annual #11. Despite a Morrison Millar team-up, pretty average stuff.

409. The Manga Jesus - Siku 2/10
    Hodder & Stoughton (Hachette UK), 331 pages
    <Manga>
    Off the wall idea that doesn't really work, in my opinion.

410. What the Dog Saw: And Other Adventures - Malcolm Gladwell 8/10
    Penguin Books, 410 pages
    <Documentary>
    Gladwell hand-picked 19 of his articles from the New Yorker with the running theme of seeing issues from other perspectives. A highly thought provoking and entertaining read.

Next year, I am aiming to read the comlete Fantastic Four, Iron Man and Spider-man series... I also might actually start using my Kobo e-reader, in the New Year. Need to get round finishing Harry Potter too!

Happy New Year to all and their families and friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    111. Last Exit to Brooklyn, by hubert Selby Jr 1/5

112. A Map of Nowhere, by Martin Bannister 2/5

113. Twelve Tears a Slave, by Solomon Northup 4/5

114. The Northern Clemency, by Phllip Hensher 3/5

115. Before the Frost, by Henning Mankell 4/5

116. Case Histories, by Kate Atkinson 4/5

117. Persuasion, by Jane Austen 3/5

118. Dying to Tell, by Robert Goddard 2/5

119. The Water's lovely, by Ruth Rendell 4/5

Lost count somewhere, but have read 120 books from a challenge of 101 so really pleased this year. Aiming for 121 for 2014, and well done to everyone here, and happy reading for 2014.
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revenga wrote: »
    101. Mrs. McGinty's Dead - Agatha Christie
    102. Travels with Herodotus - Ryszard Kapuscinski
    103. The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton
    104. Hercule Poirot's Christmas - Agatha Christie
    105. Jennifer Government - Max Barry

106. Sad Cypress - Agatha Christie
    107. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
    108. A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens