Seriously DS... are the automatic ads necessary?

Comments

• Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far so good this morning. I've only had one loud advert which and no pages re-directing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still getting a fookin Dettol ad screaming at me.

Never buy it in protest. I won't buy it either because I feel your pain.

Perhaps we ought to start an anti products thread for those that advertise on here.

It's the CIF ad that was blocking my entire screen the other day. It is now ingrained into my brain as being a "bad product" that I associated with being frustrated and I will never ever buy it. Apart from the name CIF that sounds cheap as if it is full of chemicals and will burn me or give me cancer, it spoiled my day as I was trying to post and I couldn't.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand ad revenue is needed to run a site for us for free.
    What I object to is audible ads. It's a sure fire way to drive people away.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,793
    Administrator
    Hi all,

We've heard back from our ad team that a number of adverts have been removed, hopefully stopping the autoplay audio adverts.

Please let us know if you continue to get any adverts that are playing by themselves with no interactions and be sure to include what it's advertising so we can have them removed.

Thanks and apologies once again.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

We've heard back from our ad team that a number of adverts have been removed, hopefully stopping the autoplay audio adverts.

Please let us know if you continue to get any adverts that are playing by themselves with no interactions and be sure to include what it's advertising so we can have them removed.

Thanks and apologies once again.

Just had Shake & Vac and Vanish ad's playing much louder than usual, AT THE SAME F**KING TIME and then one for an air-freshener called "Pearls" or summat (Haze or Glade?)

Also, I was just looking at the forum index to find this thread and the Vanish ad' finished playing and THEN the bloody Pearls ad' started after it.

Also, I see the little video control-pads no longer have the option to pause the adverts.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Also, I see the little video control-pads no longer have the option to pause the adverts.

Yes, that was the last straw for me, when that happened.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    grrrr....still I can see that the peasants ARE revolting. :o
    Forum Member
    Finish Quantum ad' still playing.

Also, I see there's now a thing called "skipit" involved, which tells me that I can now skip ad's and I only have to pay "a few cents a time" in order to do so.

That sounds like a real bargain, compared with moving to Chrome to log into DS and using a free ad-blocker. :rolleyes:
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been redirected to a website telling me to download the Java codec, the site looked incredibly dodgy. My java's installed and up to date, so it certainly wasn't official.
    Forum Member
    Well, in one way this fiasco has worked out well. I've changed to a new browser today, with lots of goodies installed, and DS is now faster and much more enjoyable than ever before. :D
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    I've just been redirected to a website telling me to download the Java codec, the site looked incredibly dodgy.

You were lucky you could get out of it. I ended up having to hit the off button. Couldn't even get ctrl,alt,del to function.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I've just been redirected to a website telling me to download the Java codec, the site looked incredibly dodgy. My java's installed and up to date, so it certainly wasn't official.

I'm getting that also - lots of white space and red letters? I just closed the window.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockville wrote: »
    I'm getting that also - lots of white space and red letters? I just closed the window.
    The best thing to do is use task manager to kill the window, some malware is written to accept any user interaction as "please install me".
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    The best thing to do is use task manager to kill the window, some malware is written to accept any user interaction as "please install me".

Indeed.

Most annoying thing is when you have, say, 3 or 4 DS browser tabs open and you've typed a huge response in on one and another one redirects to a dodgy site and opens an uncloseable pop-up and then you can't bloody-well go back to the other tab to enter your post. :mad:

S'funny, thinking back, when browsers with multiple tabs first appeared I resisted using them for ages because I was always concerned that being forced to shut down my browser for some reason might mean I'd lose stuff that was open in a different tab of the same browser.

The current palava on DS is starting to make me think I should go back to doing that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have a subscription system for Premier site access with no ads .

I would be happy to pay £9.99 for 12 months access with no adverts .

But no , that would be too sensible :rolleyes:
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Can't they disable adverts for registered users without paying? I've said this so many times.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had an ad for Shell blast out.
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Just had an ad for Shell blast out.

* adds to list of stuff to buy *
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    My keyboard has a mute button, which turns off the sound.

nice- but I talk on Ventrillo to my gaming friends, and all of a sudden I get this cacophony of sounds and I cant work out where is it from... then oh yeah! sodding adverts
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it common for posts to be removed from threads? I made a post yesterday that was between the current #14 and #15. I know it was submitted because I made a mistake and had to edit it. Was it removed because I extolled the virtues of AdBlock Plus?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why they cannot have static adverts, like the good old days.

Or if they absolutely must have playable adverts set them NOT to play by default. If someone is genuinely interested in a product then they can click play to play it and see what it is about.

This has been going on for so long that I think DS really need to sack their advertising partner, many other sites have adverts of course, but they are usually far less intrusive. And sack the guy(s) that suggested the current company too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »

Why should it be dependent on whether you can afford not to have the annoying experience of having intrusive and loud ad pop-ups?

It's only those sort people are finding annoying.
    Forum Member
    Blimey!

Haven't been near my PC for over an hour, was in the kitchen making dinner and suddenly the house is flooded with the sound of an advert for Dettol laundry cleanser. :mad:

That'll teach me to leave a DS web-page open. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    KennedyC wrote: »
    Is it common for posts to be removed from threads? I made a post yesterday that was between the current #14 and #15. I know it was submitted because I made a mistake and had to edit it. Was it removed because I extolled the virtues of AdBlock Plus?

Yes. DS need to play politics with their advertising clients :(
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Blimey!

Haven't been near my PC for over an hour, was in the kitchen making dinner and suddenly the house is flooded with the sound of an advert for Dettol laundry cleanser. :mad:

That'll teach me to leave a DS web-page open. :rolleyes:

As some other posters have pointed out, it also eats away at our broadband allowances, for some of us.