In Defence of: "I don't want to go."

lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a little food for thought. Probably going to be a tad essay like, so please feel free to skip this thread :)

After Matt's brilliant ending last night (IMHO of course), I've been thinking about Tennant's exit, and how Matt's felt just so much more dignified. After all, Doc 10 went out crying that he didn't want to go. 11 went out accepting the change, even being excited by it. Comparisons across the web have cited Tennant's exit as so inferior in comparison. And, while I have never really liked 10's final line, after watching the Time of the Doctor, I've concluded that it was, actually, the perfect way for 10 to go, and made sense for the Doctor's character as a whole.

It hearkens back to 8 choosing to become the War Doctor, throwing aside everything he believed in and chose to be. As the War Doctor, he hated himself. Hated that he couldn't seem to save anyone. Hated that he was no longer the Doctor. So desperate was he for it to end, he was prepared to wipe out all of Gallifrey to do it. Although we now know he didn't succeed, as far as Doc 9 was concerned... he did.

We meet Doc 9 at probably the lowest point ever in the Doctor's life. He's fresh from the War, fresh from an incarnation he despised, and more than anything... he's disgusted with himself for what he did to Gallifrey. However, the War was over, and, for the first time in probably 100s of years, he could finally be the Doctor again. He could finally save lives, and through Rose, he began to get better. On Satellite 5, he was prepared to die to finally wipe out the Daleks, and is prepared to sacrifice himself for Rose. He refuses to kill the Daleks if it means destroying Earth, basically the same decision he had to make on Gallifrey, stating he's not a killer. 9 was recovering, and gladly sacrificed himself to save Rose. Right at the very end, he realized that he was still the Doctor after all, and didn't have to spend the rest of his life so guilty.

And, thus, along came 10. Now less burdened by the Time War, 10 threw himself into his adventures. He was the Doctor again, the man he'd always wanted to be. As 10, he felt something he'd not felt in years; he generally loved being himself. 11 states that 10 had vanity issues, and that is very true. It's not because 10 was handsome and didn't want to change. It was because, as 10, the Doctor was happier than he had been in years. The guilt for the war was still there, but he was able to look past it, and try to move on.

So, when 10 was faced with a regeneration, he really doesn't want to go. After so long, he was finally the Doctor again in himself, and relished it. To loose the incarnation where he finally felt he could face himself in the mirror, the incarnation in which he properly recovered... it terrified him. He had no idea what he would turn into. Would his new persona see things the same way 10 did? What if that crushing guilt came back, worse? Or, what if the new incarnation was more like the War Doctor, and he ended up doing something even more terrible than he did? So desperate was he to cling onto the better man he'd become, he chose not to change in Journey's End, basically wasting a regeneration.

However, in the End of Time, there was nothing to stop it. He was going to change no matter what he did. And he didn't want to. He couldn't abide the thought of it. He couldn't become a "new man that goes sauntering away," not after he'd come so far as 10. But, change he did, into 11.

10's final moments make even more sense when you look at 11. As 11, the Doctor realized that the change was not a bad thing. 11 had an even better time than 10 most of the time, always choosing a scenario that kept himself smiling. 11 had a bit of a sarcastic reaction to 10 saying "I don't want to go" again last month, mainly because he remembered how it felt when 10 died, and, on reflection, how he really need not have been so worried. After hundreds of years as 11, after saving Gallifrey, and after having decided he was going to truly die on Trenzalore, 11 welcomes the change into 12. He's realized that change isn't a bad thing, but a welcome one. He's no idea who he's about to be, but for the first time since 7 changed into 8, he's not petrified at the thought of it.

So, there you have it. My ramblings on a massive character arc for the Doctor, started by RTD and properly completed by Moff. Personally, on reflection I think it's been so beautifully done. Eccleston, Tennant and Smith played the Doctor so differently, yet, because of this, it's easy to remember that all three Doctors are, fundamentally, the same man. A man going on a journey and finding himself once more.

And it's been a treat to see. I can't wait what is in store for 12.

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Wot he said above.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    TBH, I always thought that it was simply a case of people deciding it was fashionable to dislike RTD/Rose/10 and the dislike of 10's departure was just an extension of that.

Personally, I've never had a problem with it although I can't really say the same about Matt Smith's swansong, which all seemed to reek of "flogging a dead horse" to me.
    I liked Matt Smith as DW but his exit seemed to lack a lot of the natural energy and eccentric frivolity that was his hallmark.
  • Letsby_AvenueLetsby_Avenue Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Just a little food for thought. Probably going to be a tad essay like, so please feel free to skip this thread :)

After Matt's brilliant ending last night (IMHO of course), I've been thinking about Tennant's exit, and how Matt's felt just so much more dignified. After all, Doc 10 went out crying that he didn't want to go. 11 went out accepting the change, even being excited by it. Comparisons across the web have cited Tennant's exit as so inferior in comparison. And, while I have never really liked 10's final line, after watching the Time of the Doctor, I've concluded that it was, actually, the perfect way for 10 to go, and made sense for the Doctor's character as a whole.

It hearkens back to 8 choosing to become the War Doctor, throwing aside everything he believed in and chose to be. As the War Doctor, he hated himself. Hated that he couldn't seem to save anyone. Hated that he was no longer the Doctor. So desperate was he for it to end, he was prepared to wipe out all of Gallifrey to do it. Although we now know he didn't succeed, as far as Doc 9 was concerned... he did.

We meet Doc 9 at probably the lowest point ever in the Doctor's life. He's fresh from the War, fresh from an incarnation he despised, and more than anything... he's disgusted with himself for what he did to Gallifrey. However, the War was over, and, for the first time in probably 100s of years, he could finally be the Doctor again. He could finally save lives, and through Rose, he began to get better. On Satellite 5, he was prepared to die to finally wipe out the Daleks, and is prepared to sacrifice himself for Rose. He refuses to kill the Daleks if it means destroying Earth, basically the same decision he had to make on Gallifrey, stating he's not a killer. 9 was recovering, and gladly sacrificed himself to save Rose. Right at the very end, he realized that he was still the Doctor after all, and didn't have to spend the rest of his life so guilty.

And, thus, along came 10. Now less burdened by the Time War, 10 threw himself into his adventures. He was the Doctor again, the man he'd always wanted to be. As 10, he felt something he'd not felt in years; he generally loved being himself. 11 states that 10 had vanity issues, and that is very true. It's not because 10 was handsome and didn't want to change. It was because, as 10, the Doctor was happier than he had been in years. The guilt for the war was still there, but he was able to look past it, and try to move on.

So, when 10 was faced with a regeneration, he really doesn't want to go. After so long, he was finally the Doctor again in himself, and relished it. To loose the incarnation where he finally felt he could face himself in the mirror, the incarnation in which he properly recovered... it terrified him. He had no idea what he would turn into. Would his new persona see things the same way 10 did? What if that crushing guilt came back, worse? Or, what if the new incarnation was more like the War Doctor, and he ended up doing something even more terrible than he did? So desperate was he to cling onto the better man he'd become, he chose not to change in Journey's End, basically wasting a regeneration.

However, in the End of Time, there was nothing to stop it. He was going to change no matter what he did. And he didn't want to. He couldn't abide the thought of it. He couldn't become a "new man that goes sauntering away," not after he'd come so far as 10. But, change he did, into 11.

10's final moments make even more sense when you look at 11. As 11, the Doctor realized that the change was not a bad thing. 11 had an even better time than 10 most of the time, always choosing a scenario that kept himself smiling. 11 had a bit of a sarcastic reaction to 10 saying "I don't want to go" again last month, mainly because he remembered how it felt when 10 died, and, on reflection, how he really need not have been so worried. After hundreds of years as 11, after saving Gallifrey, and after having decided he was going to truly die on Trenzalore, 11 welcomes the change into 12. He's realized that change isn't a bad thing, but a welcome one. He's no idea who he's about to be, but for the first time since 7 changed into 8, he's not petrified at the thought of it.

So, there you have it. My ramblings on a massive character arc for the Doctor, started by RTD and properly completed by Moff. Personally, on reflection I think it's been so beautifully done. Eccleston, Tennant and Smith played the Doctor so differently, yet, because of this, it's easy to remember that all three Doctors are, fundamentally, the same man. A man going on a journey and finding himself once more.

And it's been a treat to see. I can't wait what is in store for 12.

I couldn't have put it better myself and a really good way of looking at it in context. Whether this was in RTD's mind at the time of writing it we will never know but Moff has turned it from a slightly overdramatic vain line into something that IMHO is quite moving. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I hadn't really thought about this in that much depth before (and I liked the 10th's Doctor's regeneration and final line anyway), but actually I think the OP is absolutely right!
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice post, lordo350.

Not only had 10 not lived very long compared to other Doctors, with his zest for life and wanting to remain what he had become came a degree of vanity. Paraphrasing, the non-regeneration that actually was came with a "Why would I want to change, look at me!" and he referred to himself as "a handsome man in a suit" in the 50th. Not a criticism, it's a valid characteristic of his Doctor. (and indeed Colin's too thinking back. The Doctor isn't and never has been a perfect hero. Quite right, too.)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Not only had 10 not lived very long compared to other Doctors, with his zest for life and wanting to remain what he had become came a degree of vanity.

One big thing, for me, was that it usually seems like DW is resigned to allowing certain key historical events to happen.
    He's obviously broken up about the events of "The Fires of Pompeii", for example, but he accepts that it's a fixed point in time so he can't monkey around with it.

However, in "The Waters of Mars", he spends most of his time grappling with the dilemma of whether he should let everybody die, knowing it's what spurs humanity to explore space, or whether he should try and save them.
    In the end he seems to think "F**k it! I'm the only time-lord in town so it's up to ME, and me alone, to decide how this stuff works from now on!" and that's an attitude he seems to carry with him through "The End Of Time" so he's obviously going to be completely gutted to realise, after just making the decision that he's not going to play by the rules any more, that he's not going to get the opportunity to actually fix the entire universe after all.
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think my main problem with 10s exit, is after really enjoying Billie Piper in series 1, I then found myself growing a little tired of the pairing towards the end of series 2, but I did enjoy her exit and thought it was a great send off.

Contrary to many people's opinions I really enjoyed Martha, Human Nature Two parter and the finale really showed her in a good light, but I felt she was saddled by the ghost of Rose. Series 4, I felt I really enjoyed Doctor Who, the Doctor and Donna pairing really felt right, but annoyingly Rose kept popping up again and the more she kept popping up the more I started to really resent the Doctor and Rose together.

I don't know quite what it was but that last two episodes of series 4, while they are good in many respects, really grate. This was Donna's exit and yet I feel in many ways this was overshadowed.

Add in my annoyance of yet another 1 season companion, (I honestly feel that if they had kept Martha on for another season she would have grown) that has to exit at the finale, why can't people leave mid season any more!

Then to the specials, I liked them less and less as they went on. They felt indulgent and smug, I felt Tennant's Doctor was growing more smug and more annoying as it went on as though he was God and it was all about him. I think this is where a lot of the greatest Doctor vibe comes from, he seemed like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread and could do no wrong.

I felt that the nadir of indulgence happened during the two part send off. Suffice to say I was not a fan of that interpretation of the Master which soured me to the episodes, but having to then go back and look at how everyone had done (Martha and Micky together?!?) and then OMG it's back to Rose!

The "I don't want to go" felt over indulgent and wrong for the time, the whole idea of the end was really annoying, in my opinion. I felt no sadness unlike last night, and was actually just glad for a change.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got anything as profound as the OP but I finally saw "An Adventure in Space and Time" yesterday and I was taken by the moment Hartnell wept over losing the role of The Doctor and he said "I don't want to go". And he lost more control over his fate than Tennant's Doctor ever did on screen.

Thinking about it, I think it puts Ten's "I don't want to go" in even more context.
  • KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH I don't think it needs defending.

10 appears to have had a relatively short life. The fact he wasn't ready to go is hardly surprising. He also had to deal with it being told to him yonks in advance. Imagine knowing your time is up but not how or when exactly. He also had no young companion to disguise his fear for. There was nothing undignified about his exit, it was just natural. He was scared or his whole body and personality changing (who wouldn't be? especially when it's already been established he has little control over the outcome) and if you add the new fact in that if he made it through the regeneration he was on his last life - it might be a retcon by SM but it can still be called a factor. .

Nine on the other hand. who normally gets given as an example of a dignified regeneration, had just sacrificed himself for the woman he loved and was dealing with survivor's guilt. It was an opportunity to let that go and move forward.

With eleven he had lived a long life and he still despaired at going to trenzalore in the NOTD.

So no I don't think Ten needs defending.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't mind it, it was quite moving.

Even it was engendered by RTD falling in love with Tennant.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    KezM wrote: »
    TBH I don't think it needs defending.

10 appears to have had a relatively short life. .

With eleven he had lived a long life and he still despaired at going to trenzalore in the NOTD.

I agree 10 lived for about 6 years so I can see why he wouldn't be ready to go just yet

By the time 11 had regenerated he had lived for about 1000 years so was ready to go
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Tennants exit was the worst regeneration in the shows history.
    Pure, self indulgent crap.

Eccleston to Tennant, was understated and brilliant.

Its like the writing team completely lost the plot when it came to tennants end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Tennants exit was the worst regeneration in the shows history.
    Pure, self indulgent crap.

Eccleston to Tennant, was understated and brilliant.

Its like the writing team completely lost the plot when it came to tennants end.

Read RTD's The Writers Tale.

Some of the stuff in there is inspired, some of it isn't. It's amazing how one idea, on a whim, can sink or swim an episode.

The biggest reveal, in a way, is how deadlines and production issues shape the whole thing. The 'wish list' is hardly ever granted to the actors, writer, crew, or fans.

At some point you just have to point the camera and see what happens.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the line fit the character perfectly, I just got a feeling there was RTD behind me saying "and you don't want him to, either, do you?". It took me out of the moment.

This wasn't helped with the LOTR-style protracted ending, which weakened his final exit for me. Done for the DT fans (and rightly there were many) and as a bit of a sign-off for RTD (who I think is ace), it just felt self-indulgent - and not for the first time towards the end of DT's era.

It was like the lights had come up and the players were taking their bows. Which had the net result of me shouting "Just go already!" (or rather an equivalent English phrase).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with 10's regeneration is very simple: in that moment he isn't the Doctor. Thankfully The Day of the Doctor summed this up quite nicely so I'll just quote:
    “Never cruel or cowardly. Never give up, never give in.”

During his regeneration, ever since he heard those four knocks from the booth, he fails to live up to this promise. He's both cruel and cowardly towards Wilf and, in the process, fails the second part as well. Everything that the burning of Gallifrey was supposed to represent is repeated here. Oh it's not the fate of the universe, just one man in a glass box and one timelord outside of it. But the scale is irrelevant, the Doctor can save an innocent life and first chooses to rant and rave about how unfair it is that he has to do this. He *hurts* Wilf in just about the worst way he could and does so willingly and without reason. In that moment he is not only no longer the Doctor... he's no longer the hero of the show and fails the audience.

Yes, I know that's a tad meta but regeneration is a seriously traumatic time for a big chunk of fandom. For younger kids especially it's likely to be the first time a well known character has 'died' on screen. Doubly so when you have a long serving and well-liked Doctor who is the first Doctor for a whole generation. At some point he needs to reassure those fans that this *isn't* death and that - in this show at least - while you can morn the loss of a favourite face the man behind it carries on.

Ten's farewell doesn't do any of that. In fact it goes out of its way to make it seem like the end not just of the tenth but the Doctor himself. It's practically screaming that everything you loved about the series is going to die the instant Tennant leaves the screen. I can see what they were going for but for whatever reason they vastly overshot the mark. Maybe it was the rush to get it written, maybe it was the emotion of so many of the production team leaving as well as David, maybe it was the empty TARDIS that left them no way to mitigate what came before via companion intervention. Whatever the reason though it left a deep, deep hole behind it and thankfully we had a fabulous crew both in front of and behind the camera to pull the show out of it.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the line fit the character perfectly, I just got a feeling there was RTD behind me saying "and you don't want him to, either, do you?". It took me out of the moment.

This wasn't helped with the LOTR-style protracted ending, which weakened his final exit for me. Done for the DT fans (and rightly there were many) and as a bit of a sign-off for RTD (who I think is ace), it just felt self-indulgent - and not for the first time towards the end of DT's era.

It was like the lights had come up and the players were taking their bows. Which had the net result of me shouting "Just go already!" (or rather an equivalent English phrase).

I'd go along with that, although as stated above think the OP puts things into context very well.

Put it this way; I've never really had any desire to watch TEOT since broadcast. Watching yesterday's episode on I-player today, I kept going back to watch the last ten minutes until I felt like I was in a time-loop!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I personally didn't like the "I don't want to go" line, mainly because I don't care much for Tennant's Doctor. But then even my friends who adore Tennant were a bit disappointed.

Though it'd be impossible to give an outright reason as to why that is, I think it boils down to a number of things. The whole of 2009 was an extended farewell to the Tenth Doctor...the lack of a companion, the lack of episodes in general and the plotlines made it out to be about little else. From Journey's End, the Tenth Doctor was on borrowed time. And that's the exact reason why, especially after his 'farewell tour' that I didn't like his final line...

It's a bit like someone saying farewell to everyone at a party and then as they walk out the door and up the street they say back to the people on the doorstep "I don't want to leave"... it's jarring, it's out of place, and it's even worse if you happen to be someone else who didn't much care for the company of the person leaving in the first place. :p
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go along with that, although as stated above think the OP puts things into context very well.

Put it this way; I've never really had any desire to watch TEOT since broadcast. Watching yesterday's episode on I-player today, I kept going back to watch the last ten minutes until I felt like I was in a time-loop!

Iordo35's summation seems right, I agree.

As an incidental, I've had to explain to people (friends and family, not people at the bus stop) that DT was the Doctor for such a short amount of time compared to the rest. I've compared him to my toddler niece before now. Is he the shortest incarnation (or two?)?
    Forum Member
    Iordo35's summation seems right, I agree.

As an incidental, I've had to explain to people (friends and family, not people at the bus stop) that DT was the Doctor for such a short amount of time compared to the rest. I've compared him to my toddler niece before now. Is he the shortest incarnation (or two?)?

I think Chris/The 9th Doctor was the shortest it was implied he had just regenerated during the events of Rose so only was The Doctor for about 1 year
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Chris/The 9th Doctor was the shortest it was implied he had just regenerated during the events of Rose so only was The Doctor for about 1 year

That I always found odd, it is implied in the episode, but then the episode goes on to show all the adventures he has had as 9
    Forum Member
    serton wrote: »
    That I always found odd, it is implied in the episode, but then the episode goes on to show all the adventures he has had as 9

Well he could have done that during the few moments he left Rose for him it could have been a few weeks or months

Maybe he did that to get photographed so when Rose found them (yes earlier in the episode but timey wimey and all that) it would be proof he could time travel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Very wonderfully put, OP. I'd just like to add that on top of all that, Ten knew he was going into his last regeneration (if at all; Moffat did say recently that the Doctor didn't know which incarnation he was on, so it's also possible that he thought he was already on his last incarnation at some parts), and on top of that, he was probably under the impression that his next incarnation would be an evil one (both because of how evil he was already becoming and because the Master had told him in ToaTL that he only gets worse with age). At the same time, he had undergone a certain character development and so would think that the "reset" involved in regeneration would only make him "less developed" (as the "evil side" of his personality would naturally believe itself to be superior to the "good side").

Basically, Ten's regeneration fits with everything we could possibly relate to it. It works just fine in context.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I don't think ranting and raving about how unfair his situation is, is either cruel, cowardly, or giving up. He knows he's going to save Wilf, there's never any other option for him. But why should it be easy for him to accept?

This was re-iterated in Time of the Doctor, where he's had the same argument with himself for 300 years.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have a problem with Ten's exit. Quite the opposite, I think it's the only genuinely good aspect of The End of Time. From the moment Ten wakes up and realises he's survived, just to hear that fateful knock, through his 'farewell tour' and his final moments, it's all fantastic telly and RTD at his best.

The problem is one hour and fifty minutes of utter tosh that precedes it.