Labours 10p tax rate

Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
Forum Member
✭✭
Is Labours plan to re-introduce the 10p tax rate for those earning above the personal allowance, or do they want to abolish the personal allowance?

Comments

• gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad_Dog1 wrote: »
    Is Labours plan to re-introduce the 10p tax rate for those earning above the personal allowance, or do they want to abolish the personal allowance?

This may help.

http://labourlist.org/2014/01/balls-commits-labour-to-raising-top-rate-of-tax-back-to-50p/
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

well they are saying an introductory rate of 10p so from above the allowance.

but by the time it was abolished it applied to incomes between £5,225 and £7,455. now nobody pays tax until £10,000 rising to £10,500 from next year.
  • jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Tinker, tinker, tinker.
    Why can they not just implement a decent tax threshold and then have a single flat rate above that?
  • Mad_Dog1Mad_Dog1 Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, that's an article on the 50p tax rate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, that's an article on the 50p tax rate.

My mistake , it say's

“We want a lower 10p starting rate of tax, which would help make work pay and cut taxes for 24 million people on middle and lower incomes.

I thought that was what you were asking about
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The government needs to raise more tax.

How does Clever Eddie plan to do this?
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Bankers bonuses obviously :D

I thought many low earners were already taken out of the tax system?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think so. My husband only works part time because he is a pensioner (70 this year) and he still pays tax even though he is on the minimum wage .
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I don't think so. My husband only works part time because he is a pensioner (70 this year) and he still pays tax even though he is on the minimum wage .

the personal allowance for this year is £9440.
    the NMW is £6.31

if you took two weeks holiday a year you would start paying tax at ~30h per week

if you had no other sources of income.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    the personal allowance for this year is £9440.
    the NMW is £6.31

if you took two weeks holiday a year you would start paying tax at ~30h per week

if you had no other sources of income.

My husband works 16 hours a week at the NMW, he also gets £136. 70p a week state pension.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 10p tax rate is a bad idea.

I can only assume that Labour have adopted the policy for no better reason than to differentiate themselves from the (far more sensible) Liberal/Tory policy.

I'd personally prefer to see National Insurance folded into general taxation and a flat tax rate that starts at a reasonably high level e.g. 30% above £24,000.

Let the low paid keep hold of their own money rather than taxing them and then handing the money back as benefits. But don't punish those with higher incomes with punitive tax rates but encourage people to bring their money and investment to the UK.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I dunno, how has Clever George paid for the lowering of corporation tax from 28% to 20% next year?;-)

If the Government, any Government, is serious about raising tax it can start with the estimated £50 billion it loses each year from tax avoidance and tax evasion, before it squeezes more money out those that pay in full and on time every month.
  • Dare_AllanDare_Allan Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10p tax is a huge enormous Canard by Labour, much as anything else they say.

When it existed 10p applied to 5.5k to 7.5k. Today you pay 0p up till 10.5k.

Labour are just full of nonsense.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The problem is that once you are taken out of the income tax system, you can no longer be helped in respect of tax cuts.

A cut in VAT would really help the low paid.