Last Tango in Halifax Tue, Nov 20 · 21:00-22:00 · BBC One (HD)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this , and a much better episode than last week's which was a bit too far fetched .

The comedy element is just right. That Asian lad is a gem, and the drunken ex turning up on Caroline's doorstep. Great stuff , does it finish tonight ?
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    I'll try to answer...

Gillian found her husband dying on the floor with his head split by the log cleaver. She could have called the emergency services but didn´t.

I think it was ruled as a suicide. Her dad is worried that she did nothing to help him because he was alive when she found him.

(No explanation of how he split his own head open).

Just a point......

Are you actually breaking the law by in being the presence of someone who is dying and not calling the emergency services?

Not that I have any ulterior motives you understand.... :)
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a point......

Are you actually breaking the law by in being the presence of someone who is dying and not calling the emergency services?

Not that I have any ulterior motives you understand.... :)

Considering that Gillian's husband was trying to kill himself and so apparently wanted to die, it seems to me that she's not so much guilty of manslaughter but of helpfully assisting with euthanasia :) Since this is illegal. I would not have thought less kinder motives were any more lawful :D
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd definitely agree that Gillian is 'indiscriminate with her favours'! I was mildly impressed - not to mention surprised - by Caroline's husband's sudden display of maturity when he insisted on telling her that he'd given his girlfriend the money and wanted no more secrets between them, but he's still the last person on earth you'd want to sleep with. He almost makes the battered lover look appealing. Almost. Gillian obviously feels that there are 'so many men and so little time' and it would be wrong of me not to feel some compassion for her situation - I'd happily help out by relieving her of the burden of Red Hot Brother-in-law any day of the week. Dead selfless, me ;)

BiB
    My thoughts were that she'd not had much of a loving relationship and was reaching out for whoever will supply what she sees as 'love' but the blokes (Brother in law apart) see as a nothing more than 'a quickie'
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although some parts of the series have been a little slap stick and far fetched, other parts have been really well done and incredibly realistic. I find too many dramas on tv nowadays use the same clichéd plot devices supposedly for tension or tragedy but they're so predictable. In Caroline's situation, we had her have second thoughts about her new found sexuality when her husband came back, but only briefly, and she didn't go through all the typical tv conventions you often get with similar storylines. I loved her speech in the second episode to the narrow minded board of governer's guy - one of the highlights of the series. And for once, we get a lovely response from teenage sons who, far from being appalled by their mother's new relationship, are happy for her and welcoming. Other dramas would go down the route of teenage son can't hack mother turning lesbian, has angst, trauma and runs away etc etc which leads to mother going back to her miserable life.

And also it's refreshing, in Gillian, to see a woman who doesn't seem to have any hang ups about sleeping around and no one else (other than Raf) seems to mind. Usually it's the men in dramas who have a few women on the side, but in this case I think Gillian is just thinking, well why not if it's on offer. I'm not sure how well Celia will take her sleeping with Caroline's hubby though!

I'm looking forward to tonight's finale and can't wait for the next series. It's a programme which could have a long future if the ratings are consistent.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have loved this series, all the leads are great.

Can't wait for the finale tonight. I'm most curious to find out why Celia is so upset (and a little disgusted?) to discover her daughter is gay. Celia is so laid back and liberal generally, why would this upset her? :confused:
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    I thought that episode was a scream. I know some of it is so implausible - like Caroline and Gillian sharing the same birthdate, but the characters and script is so witty.

I think Gillians' Dad bonked both Gillians' Mum, and Carolines' Mum on the same day and is not letting on.

That makes them Sisters !!!:eek::eek:
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    The lesbian kiss will be causing a stir with the prudes tonight no doubt

It stirred something in me, I'm telling you !
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    nw0307 wrote: »
    And for once, we get a lovely response from teenage sons who, far from being appalled by their mother's new relationship, are happy for her and welcoming. Other dramas would go down the route of teenage son can't hack mother turning lesbian, has angst, trauma and runs away etc etc which leads to mother going back to her miserable life.

Absolutely agree and was something that I was also pleased to see portrayed as part of the story. Sarah and Nicola have been fantastic in this and I've loved their interactions with one another - evidently talented actresses who have both been given juicy stories to get their teeth into. The mix of different ages in the cast really work well and the main story is perfect easy viewing for this time of year. I hope it comes back soon next year but I do wonder how they'll develop the story for a new series.

I do wonder if Gillian & Bobby get together then whether it will lead to her telling him the truth about his brother (i.e. her leaving him to die) and then Bobby reverting back to his aggressive ways towards her and threatening to report her to the police?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the next series will be called Last Tango in Huddersfield as there have been virtually no shots of Halifax in Series 1.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I'm most curious to find out why Celia is so upset (and a little disgusted?) to discover her daughter is gay. Celia is so laid back and liberal generally, why would this upset her? :confused:

It's possible that her natural reaction is not to think whether or not she 'approves', but to give her daughter a hard time over it in the hope she changes course, because she's worried that other people will give her daughter an even harder time if she doesn't. Having the news suddenly and publicly flung at her in vitriolic tones by Caroline's embittered husband instead of in a calm and reasoned manner by Caroline herself in private can't have helped.

Also, because her marriage to Caroline's father was an unhappy one and Caroline's childhood was unhappy as a consequence, Celia might feel responsible for Caroline's choices in adulthood in a way that she wouldn't for other people's decisions to cover up manslaughter etc. Obviously not all parental anger is masking feelings of guilt, but it's not unusual either.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    I assume the next series will be called Last Tango in Huddersfield as there have been virtually no shots of Halifax in Series 1.

Also I ain't seen any Tango but they did Jive last night. :D
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I'm most curious to find out why Celia is so upset (and a little disgusted?) to discover her daughter is gay. Celia is so laid back and liberal generally, why would this upset her? :confused:

This show is a nice mix of realistic and non-realistic elements.

If Celia is shocked and upset at finding out that her married daughter is a lesbian, then that will be one of the realistic parts.

If you asked a random sample of women in their mid 70s, especially those who admired Margaret Thatcher, for their views on lesbianism then I am sure the majority would not think it a "good thing". Of course those who knew gay people, and especially those who had come to terms with it in their own families would probably be very different. But I think that Celia's attitude seems very true to life for someone with her background.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »

And that jive was exactly how my husband and I do (or did) it!
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am afraid so.

Not to try to help someone can be manslaughter though gross negligence. The legal test is whether a reasonable person would have taken steps that could have saved the life.

You do not need to have a mens rea or an intention to do wrong in order to be convicted of gross negligence manslaughter.

Once there is a mens rea, or a guilty mind, the crime changes from manslaughter to murder. In the programme Gillian did have a bad intention, because she wanted her husband to die. In that case she could conceivably be guilty of murder by omission. If (and the programme does not tell us this) she knew that treatment could have saved his life, but failed to do it, then she could have been charged with murder by omission.

In Breaking Bad when Walt let a girl drug addict die by choking when he could easily have saved her, he was guilty of murder, because he wanted her to die and knew that his inaction would mean that she died.

Cases like that are pretty rare. Parents who neglect to feed their children, or take them to hospital when they become ill, can be charged with murder rather than manslaughter, because of actions that they failed to take.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A confession, I laughed at your joke, it's just the kind of mood I'm in.

I am really looking forward to tonight, have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I thought Caroline's ex husband was really funny last night, all that huffing, brilliant.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    A confession, I laughed at your joke, it's just the kind of mood I'm in.

Ha ha thanks. You can tell I'm a Strictly fan can't you. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha thanks. You can tell I'm a Strictly fan can't you. :D

Me too! Now there's a show.

Thinking about last night again, I do love Ann Reid, but am slightly confused by Celia's reaction to Caroline's affair, mind you, probably supposed to be,as so does Derek Jacobi's character, according to tonights highlights.
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    Me too! Now there's a show.

Thinking about last night again, I do love Ann Reid, but am slightly confused by Celia's reaction to Caroline's affair, mind you, probably supposed to be,as so does Derek Jacobi's character, according to tonights highlights.

I think despite Celia's feelings towards Caroline's husband it is still bound to come as a shock with feelings of anger when a parent finds out that their child who has been married for many years is suddenly dabbling in a sexual relationship with the same sex which obviously changes the nuclear family dynamic. I would say Caroline's feelings towards females are new to her and there is no suggested history of her having interest in girls beforehand.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think despite Celia's feelings towards Caroline's husband it is still bound to come as a shock with feelings of anger when a parent finds out that their child who has been married for many years is suddenly dabbling in a sexual relationship with the same sex which obviously changes the nuclear family dynamic. I would say Caroline's feelings towards females are new to her and there is no suggested history of her having interest in girls beforehand.

I agree. I think for Caroline, she has shocked herself, falling for another woman. Her initial questioning was shown early on, she didn't understand those feelings, but in the last two episodes she's come to realise she is in love with another woman. I doubt she has had any previous feelings and this kind of situation isn't unique. It isn't necessarily that she is a lesbian, but she has just fallen for a person who is a woman. Well if you go by the more modern approach that sexuality is more fluid than the fixed labelling.:D

Perhaps Celia thinks she has lied to her family all these years and living some kind of lie. That's why she's mad at Caroline?
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was meant to show the irony of Celia saying that she found as she got older very little shocks but then finding her daughter in love with a woman proved the opposite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    I think it was meant to show the irony of Celia saying that she found as she got older very little shocks but then finding her daughter in love with a woman proved the opposite.

Yes, that makes sense, I expect it would be a shock out of the blue. What a durr, I it's obvious really isn't it?
  • linfranlinfran Posts: 5,607
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed this series. Did someone say there is a second one commissioned?

The protagonists are all top of the range actors and it shows.:)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been a fantastic drama series. Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi are wonderful actors. I'm glad another series has been commissioned.
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Yes, I think that's a shame. Though "Southowram Hall" was clearly Shibden Hall, just outside Halifax. I think parts of Harrogate were clearly Hebden Bridge (unless Harrogate has a virtually idential car park to the one I use!)

Halifax is quite an architectural gem really. All its old buildings are intact as no bombs fell on the town centre during World War II and the countryside around it is quite magnificent.