Sol Campbell: playing the racism card

Comments

• blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just an arrogant tosspot, maybe that's also due to his skin colour ?
  • Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talkman wrote: »
    I trave always felt British media reporters are a bit racist
    The players they build up as worldclass are always white
    Rooney gerrard Owen shearer Gazza Being good examples

Even though England have had many great black players they never
    Get the same amount of hype or press

At their very best, all of those players could be considered 'world class' (although none, mainly through injury ever sustained it for long periods).

In terms of black English players, the British press long considered Ashley Cole to be the best left back in the world and Rio was often referred to as one of the planet's best defenders. Ledley King was well loved by the press and equally , Sol was always highly regarded for his performances (if not his personality) and recently Andros Townsend was treat like the second coming.
  • TalkmanTalkman Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The so called poster boy of the England team has always been white,
    Black players just don't seem to be rated as good in this country

If Defoe was white i feel he would have been hyped up a lot more
    And got more chances for england because for me he's as good
    A finisher as Michael Owen was
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    You guys who are attacking Sol Campbell need to take a step back and forget about him as an individual and look at the bigger picture.

You cannot dismiss the lack of black people in prominent roles as just being one of those things, or unlucky or whatever.

There is a big problem in English football. Its like a ******* neon sign that people seem happy to ignore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Michael Owen being worldclass I never agreed with this
    The media built him up calling him boy wonder for years
    the most he scored for Liverpool in any one season was 19 goals
    And that's with penalties hardly world class the media painted him

Be Interesting to see if the British media build sturridge up
    Because for me he's now England's best player
    And he's a much better finisher than Rooney,
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Absolute and total rubbish.

I think you are well out of your depth here. Go back to the "witty" Moyes jokes.

No. Please DO NOT take this advice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona spouts a lot of rubbish according to him
    Rooney is way better than Giggs ever was that's complete and utter rubbish
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys who are attacking Sol Campbell need to take a step back and forget about him as an individual and look at the bigger picture.

You cannot dismiss the lack of black people in prominent roles as just being one of those things, or unlucky or whatever.

There is a big problem in English football. Its like a ******* neon sign that people seem happy to ignore.

I'm pretty sure no-one here has denied that. If anything, you should be angry at Campbell for taking a legitimate talking point (though I personally don't believe that racism was a primary motivating factor in the picking of the various 90s/00s captains) and making the discussion entirely about why HE was never picked as England captain when HE was clearly one of the best captains of HIS generation.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Please DO NOT take this advice.

To be fair, He is better at rubbish jokes (even if they not funny) then talking about football in a intelligent way.

At least he would be sticking to one type of nonsense
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a Fact that there is a lack of black players in prominent roles no one can deny that but how many want to be there? Until we have numbers we can't say it's a problem unless they are actively being excluded?. Sol is still getting coaching badges as far as i know, and from there he has to start at the bottom like the majority. He has to A) proove himself and B) Climb the ladder based on merit. No one should be given a job because they are black it should always be the right person.

The worry with some one like Sol Campell is that he's so opinionated that it will count against him, which will just keep cycle going.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona spouts a lot of rubbish according to him
    Rooney is way better than Giggs ever was that's complete and utter rubbish

Nope, I've had a few attempts at this and can't decipher it.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why pick on English football?

How many black managers are there in the top leagues worldwide?
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The so called poster boy of the England team has always been white,
    Black players just don't seem to be rated as good in this country

If Defoe was white i feel he would have been hyped up a lot more
    And got more chances for england because for me he's as good
    A finisher as Michael Owen was

Defoe isnt getting in the startling lineup for spurs under a succession of managers so how is he going to be a poster boy if he doesnt even get picked by his club?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes there is a lack of black people in managerial roles but that doesn't mean that Campbell can go around making damaging accusations without proof. He is accusing the FA and successive England managers as being complicit in a racist conspiracy which is a very serious charge and Campbell should be asked for at least some evidence to back up his claims.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigDaveX wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure no-one here has denied that. If anything, you should be angry at Campbell for taking a legitimate talking point (though I personally don't believe that racism was a primary motivating factor in the picking of the various 90s/00s captains) and making the discussion entirely about why HE was never picked as England captain when HE was clearly one of the best captains of HIS generation.

Sol did captain England a few times. During his England career only 3 players captained him more than he did them: Adams, Shearer and Beckham, all of which were either better captain material or more certain of their place.

I wonder why was Ince so different who captained England ample times.
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Nope, I've had a few attempts at this and can't decipher it.

I think it's suppose to read

"Cantona(07) spouts a lot of rubbish.
    According to him Rooney is way better than Giggs ever was.
    That's complete and utter rubbish"
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    Why pick on English football?

How many black managers are there in the top leagues worldwide?

I suppose because we like to feel Britain is a little bit ahead of other parts of the world when it comes to racial equality. Maybe the answer is to bring in something like the Rooney Rule. It could at least encourage black players to take their coaching badges and look to get into coaching.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Be Interesting to see if the British media build sturridge up
    Because for me he's now England's best player
    And he's a much better finisher than Rooney,

Welbeck is getting talked up more than Sturridge or Rooney so there wouldn't appear to be a race issue there.

David James did say about the lack of black players on coaching courses so they're evidently not going to get the jobs if they're not qualified.

Yes we have to look at WHY they're in the minority taking coaching courses but that's a different issue to saying they're not being given a chance.

Think Campbell is coming across as bitter though, he never showed any real loyalty clubwise so I don't think he would have been a great England captain.
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Cantona in being lone voice of reason shocker...
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be pretty annoyed if County ever appointed Sol Campbell as manager
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Sol Campbell try to make it in films in the States a few years ago? That he failed can only be a result of the institutionally racist nature of Hollywood.

Sol's exclusion from the Captain's role is a result of personal qualities he lacks. Just like 99% of the rest of us. A white Sol Campbell would have been equally lacking in those qualities.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Didn't Sol Campbell try to make it in films in the States a few years ago? That he failed can only be a result of the institutionally racist nature of Hollywood.

Sol's exclusion from the Captain's role is a result of personal qualities he lacks. Just like 99% of the rest of us. A white Sol Campbell would have been equally lacking in those qualities.

If someone believes they've been prejudiced it should be considered, not immediately dismissed.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    As the OP says, Campbell: "There are no opportunities for me here, not until attitudes change anyway." But there are if you are Gary Neville.

Gary is very bright for a footballer of any colour.
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

You're probably thinking of Stan Collymore, whose attempt to do that started and finished with the glorious role of some bloke who Sharon Stone killed at the start of Basic Instinct 2.
    simonl87 wrote: »
    If someone believes they've been prejudiced it should be considered, not immediately dismissed.

Even being generous and leaving aside how ludicrous Campbell makes his own argument sound with the whole "I'd have been England captain for ten years" thing, his claims ring false. Tony Adams and Alan Shearer were almost certainly chosen as regular captains because they had captained Arsenal and Blackburn respectively to league titles, and David Beckham was likely part-gamble and part-publicity stunt on the part of Peter Taylor, and just kept around permanently by Eriksson when he proved good in that role.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not saying I disagree, but you must then also consider this is predominantly and historically a white country. Most people in it are white, so consider the correct representation numbers rather than scattershotting it.

If the entire spectrum of MPs were all black, would that even make sense? no, of course not, its not representative to the countries overall racial make up. Same way if you went to Nigeria and it was mostly white people in power, you would consider that odd and something is wrong.