Shawshank Redemption is best film ever??

2»

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    According to the Top 250 The Dark Knight is the 7th greatest film of all time :D:D probably someone with numerous accounts rating it highly.

More baffling is the presence of all The Lord of the Rings films.:eek: I know the books have a global following so can only put it down to the Tolkein, as opposed to film, fans.

To be fair, IMDb does make a lot of effort to deter distortion of film ratings by fanboys but they can do only so much. The Batman franchise is a good example. The Dark Knight got a lot of critical praise (largely undeserved in my opinion) but 7th best film EVAH!!! ? You only have to look at the placing of the other franchise instalments to see the fanboy effect at work: The Dark Knight Rises at no. 48? Above Taxi Driver FFS?*

To be even fairer to IMDB, there are some truly great films in their top 250, although the selection is inevitably biased towards American and English language productions.

*<declares interest:o>
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More baffling is the presence of all The Lord of the Rings films.:eek: I know the books have a global following so can only put it down to the Tolkein, as opposed to film, fans.

Ah, so one can only be a film fan if one dislikes the Lord of the Rings? Grow up, people are allowed to like whichever movies they wish, doesn't make anyone more or less of a film 'fan' :rolleyes:

Return of the King would make my top 10, as would Shawshank Redemption, and I don't see the problem at all with liking both, just as I wouldn't have an issue with someone who likes either/or or neither.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Ah, so one can only be a film fan if one dislikes the Lord of the Rings? Grow up, people are allowed to like whichever movies they wish, doesn't make anyone more or less of a film 'fan' :rolleyes:

Return of the King would make my top 10, as would Shawshank Redemption, and I don't see the problem at all with liking both, just as I wouldn't have an issue with someone who likes either/or or neither.

Yes, you must like everything I like and hate everything I hate and find acceptable everything I find acceptable otherwise you are not a true film fan...

P.S. The Lord of the Rings films are alright, but they've been significantly overhyped by their fanboys. And The Dark Knight is the best superhero film ever...
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago and it really is a brilliant film, it probably would be in my top 10.
    Forum Member
    Ah, so one can only be a film fan if one dislikes the Lord of the Rings? Grow up, people are allowed to like whichever movies they wish, doesn't make anyone more or less of a film 'fan' :rolleyes:.

Well, congratulations on that non-sequitur. Nothing to do with what I was saying, of course. I'm simply making the point that franchise films benefit from a fanboy effect, whether it's Batman or Lord of the Rings. Films from both franchises are of highly variable quality, yet all instalments make the top 250.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'd say that Shawshank is up there as one of the best, but, hey ! we're all different. It wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing, the film industry would be dead on it's feet in that case. There are load of films that I like, I couldn't choose just one.
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,002
    Forum Member
    It is a great film and I always enjoy it whenever I rewatch, but it wouldn't make my top 20/30 list.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, congratulations on that non-sequitur. Nothing to do with what I was saying, of course. I'm simply making the point that franchise films benefit from a fanboy effect, whether it's Batman or Lord of the Rings. Films from both franchises are of highly variable quality, yet all instalments make the top 250.

You may have meant that, but your post implied that those who liked Lord of the Rings weren't film fans, so maybe choose your wording more carefully next time.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a great film and I always enjoy it whenever I rewatch, but it wouldn't make my top 20/30 list.

Not your top 30? #gobsmacked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like The Godfather.
    Forum Member
    You may have meant that, but your post implied that those who liked Lord of the Rings weren't film fans, so maybe choose your wording more carefully next time.

Well, if we're exchanging helpful advice, maybe you could just try reading what a poster actually writes instead of going straight into defensive fanboy mode. Happy to help.
    Forum Member
    sinbad8982 wrote: »
    Shawshank is a fairly straightforward tale well told and well acted, It appeals to a much wider demographic than say Pulp Fiction or Casablanca hence its popularity.

Yes, it's a very competently made film. As you say, it's got a simple story with no complicated plot lines, the photography is effective, if uninspiring. The morality is straightforward Hollywood - the bad guys get their comeuppance etc. Music is used very effectively to stir the viewer's emotions - slow, evocative strings and a very good choice of Mozart aria for a key scene. Morgan Freeman's voiceover is used to similar effect.

It's easy to see why it's so popular and there are far worse choices for a no.1, especially on a populist film site like IMDb.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that these lists always throw up a winner from about 20 years ago .

I seem to remember these lists first getting a lot of notice in the early 90s , The Godfather would come top , then a few years later Star Wars was topping them , then Goodfellas , then Shawshank .
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong but it seems to me that these lists always throw up a winner from about 20 years ago .

I seem to remember these lists first getting a lot of notice in the early 90s , The Godfather would come top , then a few years later Star Wars was topping them , then Goodfellas , then Shawshank .

Ha ha! I was looking at when the top films were released to see if there was some pattern. I think you've got a point. I think people voting in IMDb are conscious about giving high approval ratings to films they feel are 'classic' or have stood the test of time. For a 20-something, Star Wars probably is a classic in the sense that it's, like, a really old movie, dude.:D. I guess each generation has its own classics.

It's another reason to explain the high rating of The Shawshank Redemption. I think IMDb members rate a film more highly if they think the subject is worthy or serious or socially or politically relevant - heck, what else can explain the presence of American History X? Shawshank's themes of injustice and judicial brutality will clearly appeal to these sensitivities.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Scum' is much better, imo.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,894
    Forum Member
    Shawshank is a nice film. It's a well-told story and nicely played.

But that's it as far as I'm concerned. If I were to make a list of greatest 50 films, Shawshank wouldn't get near it.

It's just another nice well-made film, like endless others.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This. When I think of great films, Shawshank never springs to mind. It's undoubtedly well made and very enjoyable but pretty risk averse as well as containing virtually zero controversy...