Change to a Super Slim?

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend at work made a good point, to get a super slim now and trade in my normal slim, mainly because there's no mechanism for the discs in the super slim meaning it's future proof and could end up lasting longer.

Any truth in this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Future proof? Hardly future proof.

Your motor could go, but then in that basis you'd do the same to anything else you own.

Best sell your TV. One of the backlights could go.
    Best sell your fridge, it might stop cooling.
    Best sell your PC/laptop, the hard drive might die.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Future proof? Hardly future proof.

Your motor could go, but then in that basis you'd do the same to anything else you own.

Best sell your TV. One of the backlights could go.
    Best sell your fridge, it might stop cooling.
    Best sell your PC/laptop, the hard drive might die.

It would lessen the chance of a faulty console in the future though?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would only buy a console I already own if mine died or because of the next gen it showed signs of becoming rare new and expensive.
    I just hope when my launch one goes there isn't a disk stuck in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    It would lessen the chance of a faulty console in the future though?
    No because they are not identical machines.

You could say no self-injecting drive means one less thing to go wrong, but it doesn't mean the machine would last longer than the previous one.
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there's three versions of a ps3? Fat, slim and "super" slim? Really?

Thought there were only two, fat and slim?
  • gothergother Posts: 14,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    So there's three versions of a ps3? Fat, slim and "super" slim? Really?

Thought there were only two, fat and slim?

Super slim came out last year in 12gn and 500gb models.
    I have a superslim and personally i find it to be slower than the slim.
  • Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought a PS3 Slim, i decided not to get the super slim as i don't like the idea of the disc drive lens being exposed, reminds me of my dreamcast days when the system stopped reading discs because of the lens being exposed to dust, etc, it is a step back in technology. The build quality on the super slim is not very good, the sliding cover is cheap plastic, in my opinion the slim is superior quality and design to the super slim. The odd thing about the super slim is that it is clearly made of cheaper materials then the previous model to cut down on cost, which i suppose is acceptable if they pass that saving onto the customer, but they don't, it is actually more expensive then the previous model, which makes no sense whatsoever especially considering the upcoming release of the PS4. I cannot think of a single reason why you would want to swap the slim for the super slim, the slim is the superior model in my opinion...
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Super Slim is very reliable because of smaller parts (less heat, less electric).

Compare it to an original 'phat' PS3 and the difference in power consumption is staggering.

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/SKU_Models
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a Slim and a Superslim, the latter being our little lads. Yeah, it's ok. It's a very much more portable and sleek system certainly and does everything a Slim can do. But with that added portability comes a lack of weight, solidity and quality. To us it's very evidently a 'cheap' version of said previous model. Summary? We prefer the original Slim version by a distance.
  • Chelsea SaintChelsea Saint Posts: 2,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a positive 12GB Superslim note, inserting a hard drive is exceptionally easy. Pick up a 2.5" HDD affix to a Sony HD Caddy and click off the S-Slims right side panel. Then proceed to slide the caddy and HD into place, job sorted. It took just two minutes to complete the task and I'm no tech whiz. The official Sony caddy comes complete with all screws to complete the upgrade. Fortunately we had a spare 2.5 drive knocking about, which made the SS a very reasonable £140 all in.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't go SuperSlim unless I really had to, I think on balance the Slim is the best of all versions of the PS3 since launch.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    The Super Slim is very reliable because of smaller parts (less heat, less electric).

Compare it to an original 'phat' PS3 and the difference in power consumption is staggering.

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/SKU_Models

Next time, post a link we can all open:rolleyes: