Options

David Bradley for Classic Doctor Who revamp spin-off?!

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Okay, I might be going a little far fetched with this idea but I'll let you be the judge of that:

As far as I know, the scripts for lost episodes from the classic series are still about, we still have audios etc.

I would love a "First Doctor adventures" spin off of some sorts, with a separate team to the main show but the same concept, and produce a new series based on the First Doctor's adventures including the lost ones.

I think this would be a lovely treat to Classic DW fans and I myself would absolutely love to see remakes of old gems like The Tenth Planet and The Romans, and see remakes of lost episodes like The Daleks' Master Plan, and perhaps see some audio-to-television stuff. Speaking for myself I don't think it's a bad idea, and I'm shocked that I haven't seen anything like this mentioned (since I've been on this forum) before.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, and what stories you'd like to see in your dream First Doctor Adventures season

:):):)

Comments

• Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are problems with this:

1. You need lots and lots of money to do this without affecting the normal show.

2. Steven Moffat said last year that it would not be possible to do a spin-off with the previous Doctors because it would be confusing having more than one Doctor on screen (He might have said another thing, because I remember him being asked about Paul McGann having his own spin-off show).
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Okay, I might be going a little far fetched with this idea but I'll let you be the judge of that:

As far as I know, the scripts for lost episodes from the classic series are still about, we still have audios etc.

I would love a "First Doctor adventures" spin off of some sorts, with a separate team to the main show but the same concept, and produce a new series based on the First Doctor's adventures including the lost ones.

I think this would be a lovely treat to Classic DW fans and I myself would absolutely love to see remakes of old gems like The Tenth Planet and The Romans, and see remakes of lost episodes like The Daleks' Master Plan, and perhaps see some audio-to-television stuff. Speaking for myself I don't think it's a bad idea, and I'm shocked that I haven't seen anything like this mentioned (since I've been on this forum) before.

Please let me know what you think of this idea, and what stories you'd like to see in your dream First Doctor Adventures season

:):):)

It won't work I'm afraid. The BBC wouldn't allow something like this to happen, as we have already got a lot of First Doctor stories on DVD, plus the audios to missing stories and individual episodes.

Young children and teenagers would get easily confused by this, thinking that these are the proper stories from the 60s.

Plus, the BBC haven't got enough money to do this. The BBC are still umming and erring wheather to bring back Torchwood for a fifth series. At the moment, TW is on hold because of the lack of funds to get it going again. Both John Barrowman and Eve Myles are too busy doing other things at the moment.

If David Bradley was approached to do something like this, I can see him turning it down. He wouldn't want to spoil the magic and fun of the An Adventure in Space and Time drama by trying to re-make stories that are already available on DVD.

So, the question has been answered.

There is no point whatsoever in this thread continuing, so it's better off closed. :D

DS Forum Support have already said in the last few months about not creating pointless threads.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, Moffat would never allow it as it would essentially be a rival production of Doctor Who. The same goes for remakes of missing stories and 8th Doctor adventures.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    I think it's a nice idea but for various practical reasons others have already said, it'll never happen.

It could only be an option if the show had been off the air for a while and was being revived again. Even then, it's unlikely. Many TV shows have been rebooted, but I'm not aware of any that actually remade the original episodes.

Reboots always stir up controversy amongst dyed in the wool fans of the original. :)
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'm not the first person to suggest this here ('cos I've googled...), but Robert Carlyle would've made an awesome Bill Hartnell in AAISAT. As much as I think David Bradley is a fine actor, I felt he was a little too old; he didn't have that *snap* that Hartnell had. So he'd be my pick for re-creating the First Doctor's missing adventures!
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    It won't work I'm afraid. The BBC wouldn't allow something like this to happen, as we have already got a lot of First Doctor stories on DVD, plus the audios to missing stories and individual episodes.

Young children and teenagers would get easily confused by this, thinking that these are the proper stories from the 60s.

Plus, the BBC haven't got enough money to do this. The BBC are still umming and erring wheather to bring back Torchwood for a fifth series. At the moment, TW is on hold because of the lack of funds to get it going again. Both John Barrowman and Eve Myles are too busy doing other things at the moment.

Where did you here this? Can you give a link please. The only reason I have heard is that its mainly up to RTD , who doesn't want to do another TW series at the moment. The last season was primarily funded by Starz , and they stated they were willing to do another series but not without RTD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As others have said, Moffat would never allow it as it would essentially be a rival production of Doctor Who. The same goes for remakes of missing stories and 8th Doctor adventures.

I'm sorry, I think most of what you just said is plain wrong.

First of all a decision like that is not necessarily his to make. It's certainly not his decision alone. It's far more likely a question of support and funding from the BBC and co-producers and funders There are other, more viable suggestions for a spin-off, such the the Paternoster Gang.

Secondly there have been many TV shows, including Doctor Who itself, that have had spin-off shows running simultaneously with the original. They're not rivals, but actually help to build the "brand". How many here would only watch one or the other show if there was a spin off? Not many, I think. The amount of interest generated when there are crossover stories is usually quite phenomenal. Event TV. :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Bradley is a fine actor and I loved AAISAT, and I see where you are coming from, but the first Doctor is William Hartnell. I know we had Richard Hurndall who gave a perfectly good performance, but it was very much an approximation of the character of the first Doctor. He looked alright but having rewatched the story recently, that's about as far as it went regarding his interpretation.

What I'm basically saying is.....(sings badly) "There's only one William Hartnell, there's only one William Hartnell, one William Har...etc" David Bradley is a fine and in demand actor, so sure he wouldn't be interested in reinterpreting someone elses role outiside the 'biopic' format; where he was playing Bill, and playing Bill playing the Doctor. Brilliantly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I think most of what you just said is plain wrong.

First of all a decision like that is not necessarily his to make. It's certainly not his decision alone. It's far more likely a question of support and funding from the BBC and co-producers and funders There are other, more viable suggestions for a spin-off, such the the Paternoster Gang.

Secondly there have been many TV shows, including Doctor Who itself, that have had spin-off shows running simultaneously with the original. They're not rivals, but actually help to build the "brand". How many here would only watch one or the other show if there was a spin off? Not many, I think. The amount of interest generated when there are crossover stories is usually quite phenomenal. Event TV. :)
    It wouldn't be a spin-off in the same way as Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Adventures, though. It would be a separate production of Doctor Who with someone other than Capaldi playing the lead role.

A series about an eccentric alien travelling through time and space with his companion(s) in a dimensionally transcendental ship shaped like a Police Box. Aside from it being a "prequel" for the central character, it would be the same damn programme! Not a spin-off in any meaningful sense.

Think about it for a moment. Having more than one series of Doctor Who on television would seriously take the prestige from the main role, essentially making it a jobshare.

As for Moffat's authority over the Whoniverse...
    Look, we hopefully will do a Doctor Who film someday. It will be absolutely run by the Doctor Who production office in Cardiff. It will feature the same Doctor as on television. It will not be a rebooted continuity. All of that would be insane. So that whole proposal was not true, did not happen. I can say that with authority because, as far as the BBC is concerned, I’m the voice of Doctor Who. So if I say it, it’s true.
    http://screenrant.com/steven-moffat-nixes-doctor-who-movie-reboot/

And here's what he has to say on the issue of a separate production with a different Doctor:
    It would be very odd to sell two Doctors at the same time. Who'd go on the lunchbox? Which would be the senior Doctor, which would be the junior Doctor? I think there's a problem with it now. We haven't got plans but I might deceive in order to surprise. Let's see.
    http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/steven-moffat-interview.html
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I'd rather not.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your idea might work online or physical format, but not on TV.
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I know I'm not the first person to suggest this here ('cos I've googled...), but Robert Carlyle would've made an awesome Bill Hartnell in AAISAT. As much as I think David Bradley is a fine actor, I felt he was a little too old; he didn't have that *snap* that Hartnell had. So he'd be my pick for re-creating the First Doctor's missing adventures!

It had often occurred to me that if they ever wanted to write the First Doctor into a new episode then Robert Carlyle would be just about the best person to play him. But I don't think that will ever happen.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Give the rights to Channel 5 or similar channel so that it looks as ropey as the original episodes.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the money is available I'd sooner see them done with photo-real animation rather than the cartoon recreations that have been issued.

The Quatermass Experiment revamp was a bit of a dud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't be a spin-off in the same way as Torchwood or The Sarah Jane Adventures, though. It would be a separate production of Doctor Who with someone other than Capaldi playing the lead role.

A series about an eccentric alien travelling through time and space with his companion(s) in a dimensionally transcendental ship shaped like a Police Box. Aside from it being a "prequel" for the central character, it would be the same damn programme! Not a spin-off in any meaningful sense.

Think about it for a moment. Having more than one series of Doctor Who on television would seriously take the prestige from the main role, essentially making it a jobshare.

Though I can see where you're coming from, it would all depend on how it was done. Think of the numerous CSI's for example.
    As for Moffat's authority over the Whoniverse...

http://screenrant.com/steven-moffat-nixes-doctor-who-movie-reboot/

And here's what he has to say on the issue of a separate production with a different Doctor:

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/steven-moffat-interview.html

He's not really in control. The money people are. Look at the reports of a Hollywood movie a couple of years ago. It ultimately did not happen, but it illustrates who's really in charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think I was half asleep when I came up with this idea, so I think it's time we moved on now :p:p:p
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »

Robert Carlyle would've made an excellent Ninth Doctor, if Christopher Eccleston hadn't been asked to play the part. :D I can just see him in that black leather jacket, black trousers and so on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    the BBC haven't got enough money to do this. The BBC are still umming and erring wheather to bring back Torchwood for a fifth series. At the moment, TW is on hold because of the lack of funds to get it going again. Both John Barrowman and Eve Myles are too busy doing other things at the moment.

TORCHWOOD wasn't brought back because Russell T Davies's partner was seriously ill with a brain tumour. Starz network had said they would only commission another series if Russell was on-board and he wasn't.

This article from 2011 sheds some light on what happened
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2011/12/05/interview-russell-t-davies-on-shelving-us-projects-his-partners-cancer-diagnosis-and-coming-home/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure this would work even if it were given the go ahead.

While David Bradley is a fine actor (one of which I am a huge admirer) he was acting as Hartnell in the Adventures of Time and Space biopic and was not playing The Doctor.

Hartnell himself was so much the Doctor in the way he delivered the performances that when another actor steps into the role they too inject something of themselves into the role - hence the shows longevity.

If David Bradley were to play a future incarnation of the Doctor, I'm 100% certain that we would see a very different Doctor to his portrayal of Hartnell playing the Doctor, and we would see much more of David Bradley. Sure, there might be nods to previous era's - as we have seen with Matt's Doctor. But ultimately that incarnation of the Doctor would contain something of David Bradley within it. Much like 12 will show facets of Capaldi's personality as did Tennant, Eccelston and all the others who have been the Doctor over the years.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    There are problems with this:

1. You need lots and lots of money to do this without affecting the normal show.

2. Steven Moffat said last year that it would not be possible to do a spin-off with the previous Doctors because it would be confusing having more than one Doctor on screen (He might have said another thing, because I remember him being asked about Paul McGann having his own spin-off show).

Moffat is the last one who should be talking about 'confusion' on screen given some of his own efforts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some other franchises have managed it, both Star Trek and Stargate have had different spin off shows running at the same time.

The Walking Dead is about to do it, with a second parallel series.

Reconstructions would never be economically affordable, (assuming this is for DVD sales). However, I've thought before they could work for individual specials, such as a McGann episode, to appeal to the older fans that are the same market buying the big finish dramas today.

Almost zero chance of it happening, but it could.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moffat is the last one who should be talking about 'confusion' on screen given some of his own efforts.

Also, it's not Moffat's decision. He's taking everything like he owns it. He doesn't own Doctor Who. He's mearly a crew member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lii wrote: »
    Some other franchises have managed it, both Star Trek and Stargate have had different spin off shows running at the same time.

The Walking Dead is about to do it, with a second parallel series.

Reconstructions would never be economically affordable, (assuming this is for DVD sales). However, I've thought before they could work for individual specials, such as a McGann episode, to appeal to the older fans that are the same market buying the big finish dramas today.

Almost zero chance of it happening, but it could.
    Those spin-offs are different shows, though. A show about an eccentric alien called the Doctor travelling through time and space with his companion(s) in a dimensionally transcendental ship shaped like a Police Box would not be a different show. It would be a separate production of Doctor Who!
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Also, it's not Moffat's decision. He's taking everything like he owns it. He doesn't own Doctor Who. He's mearly a crew member.
    Well, the Showrunner is a bit more than merely a crew member. And the BBC won't be too eager to alienate Moffat while the current incarnation of the show remains a massive international success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those spin-offs are different shows, though. A show about an eccentric alien called the Doctor travelling through time and space with his companion(s) in a dimensionally transcendental ship shaped like a Police Box would not be a different show. It would be a separate production of Doctor Who!

So what, fans and viewers wouldn't find it confusing in the way he suggests. Even Doctor Who has done it before with the original 60's movies.

I don't think it's confusion he or the rest of the production team are concerned about, it's the basic question of who owns the franchise and the merchandise/licensing revenue. The BBC could probably make even more cash for itself by exploiting the franchise in the way he fears, but with less going back to the original show.

But I still have no problem with the idea of making individual specials based on past Doctors. That's just Big Finish for TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, the Showrunner is a bit more than merely a crew member. And the BBC won't be too eager to alienate Moffat while the current incarnation of the show remains a massive international success.

As I pointed out earlier, it works for the various incarnations "CSI" and "Law and Order", Essentially the same show transplanted to different locations.

It's really driven by concerns about retaining creative control. Any show runner would have those concerns.

Having said all that, a show based on the first Doctor would be unlikely for plenty of other reasons. As far as I know, no TV show has ever been re-made. All returning shows I've heard of have been straightforward continuations or re-boots or a mixture. New Doctor Who, like new Battlestar Galactica, is essentially a reboot, but manages to retain continuity with the classic series