Options

Does anyone get slightly angered whenever the companion is told to 'stay here' ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
Forum Member
Many times in Who's history, trouble has arisen for the Doctor and his friends and often the companion, the second most important actor in the show behind the Doctor, is told to stay behind, while some characters who we will only see for an episode or two are able to get in on the action. Does this annoy anyone else? I don't think its the correct use of a companion. It's quite irritating.

I can appreciate it being seen as a method used by the Doctor to protect his companion, as they are the most important person to the Doctor in theory. But its blocking the companion out of the story completely, which in turn can affect things such as character development and plot development.

Comments

• Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many companions actually do what they are told and stay where they are? As the 10th Doctor said they always wander about after being told to stay.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    How many companions actually do what they are told and stay where they are? As the 10th Doctor said they always wander about after being told to stay.

K-9 (and maybe Kamelion).
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many times in Who's history, trouble has arisen for the Doctor and his friends and often the companion, the second most important actor in the show behind the Doctor, is told to stay behind, while some characters who we will only see for an episode or two are able to get in on the action. Does this annoy anyone else? I don't think its the correct use of a companion. It's quite irritating.

I can appreciate it being seen as a method used by the Doctor to protect his companion, as they are the most important person to the Doctor in theory. But its blocking the companion out of the story completely, which in turn can affect things such as character development and plot development.

I see it differently from you.

As Bp2 has said(and we rarely agree on anything so this is a first) how often do they actually stay put when asked to?

If a companion is told to stay where they are, it is a running gag in the show that they actually don't, hence they wander off and they develop a separate storyline of their own, or it can provide a bit of drama where they need rescuing.

Or, as in Terror Of The Autons, defying The Doctor's order to stay put actually does him a favour as Jo follows him to the circus and rescues him from Rossini's men.

And more recently in The Empty Child, Rose's defying the order to stay put saw her hook up with Captain Jack after those amazing scenes of her stuck on a rope during the blitz.

So no, it doesn't irritate me at all.

:)
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    K-9 (and maybe Kamelion).

Although that was more about technical issues and the fact that both were difficult to operate.

Its a pretty staple thing of most shows - plus other than once or twice they don't.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Hasn't it always been just a plot device to create another element to the story/have the protagonists in two or more places at once/create jeopardy (bearing in mind that the companion was supposed to be your eyes into the drama)?
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member

Yes, it goes something like this:

Doctor: Stay here <<companion>>.

(The Doctor leaves to investigate)

(The companion wanders off and falls down a hole/is captured)
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Yeah, there's only three options for splitting the party:
    1) The Doctor goes off to investigate on his own, leaving the companion in a 'safe' place.
    2) Some tumultuous event happens that contrives to separate them.
    3) The companion goes off on their own, leaving the Doctor behind.

Obviously, the Doctor is never going to suggest doing 3)!

Why would they separate the characters? So that the companion is threatened by monsters without having the protection of the all-knowing Doctor. Or so they can discover things at the pace that the viewer is supposed to learn them, without the all-knowing Doctor figuring out the plot. Either way, you've got to make the companion vulnerable.
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I agree with daveyboy in that it is a long running gag throughout the shows history, bit like how the dr & companion/other person could be walking down an alleyway or whatever it might be & they are then approached by an enemy so they hide somewhere until the enemy has gone.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    900 years experience. They could die. Stay here and off they wonder.

Common sense
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Yeah, there's only three options for splitting the party:
    1) The Doctor goes off to investigate on his own, leaving the companion in a 'safe' place.
    2) Some tumultuous event happens that contrives to separate them.
    3) The companion goes off on their own, leaving the Doctor behind.
    Obviously, the Doctor is never going to suggest doing 3)!

Why would they separate the characters? So that the companion is threatened by monsters without having the protection of the all-knowing Doctor. Or so they can discover things at the pace that the viewer is supposed to learn them, without the all-knowing Doctor figuring out the plot. Either way, you've got to make the companion vulnerable.

It happened with Susan in The Daleks!
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member

I think Clara was deliberately the exception to the rule in that she actually did what she was told! I think they even made a joke out of it at one point with the Doctor being surprised that she'd done as he'd asked :D