Why does alot of UK music listeners hate on their own successful artists ??

Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im just putting this question out there as today Emeli Sande has beaten a 50 year record held by the beatles. And so many people are trying to put the achievement down as best they can. That achievement is very hard to do, there is enough interest with those who still by records, and that has kept her there.

Adele was and still is massively successful, and during teh 06-09 period so was Leona Lewis. But yet it seems that so many people cannot wait to see the fall of these artists. Also One Direction on a commercial level also, and Ed Sheeran. It baffles me why a country feels the need to knock those that are successful.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same with ANY successful artist, they have their fair share of haters. :rolleyes:
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe it's easier to make such records in this day and age, Beatles still come out on top in the long run, their achievements will always be in higher regard anyway. ;)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Im just putting this question out there as today Emeli Sande has beaten a 50 year record held by the beatles. And so many people are trying to put the achievement down as best they can. That achievement is very hard to do, there is enough interest with those who still by records, and that has kept her there.

Adele was and still is massively successful, and during teh 06-09 period so was Leona Lewis. But yet it seems that so many people cannot wait to see the fall of these artists. Also One Direction on a commercial level also, and Ed Sheeran. It baffles me why a country feels the need to knock those that are successful.

Because successful doesn't automatically mean good.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same with ANY successful artist, they have their fair share of haters. :rolleyes:

But the UK does seem to have this attitude where it's bad to be successful or at least if you get too successful , you have to be brought down a peg. I have heard many UK artists talk about this and they also say it is not like that in the US and other countries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emeli Sande has been hyped up way to much with the olympics, she never really bothered me until she was on every bloody show going. One direction and leona are products from x factor which is an easy access to fame, although Simon actually put effort in with these two. And ive never really heard much bad stuff said about ed sheeran but maybe that's because he may have sold a shit load but he wasn't in your face all the time. Florence and the machine, ed etc are easy to block out so don't really reciece constant negativty with the exception of youtube.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about what I listen to than what records have been broken.
    Its hard to compare decades. Is a record broken because of increased ways of buying music. Or the way sales are measured.
    The poor state of the music industry means a few select rise to the top.?
    Even with various ways to buy music, I doubt that single sales will ever reach the 3/4 million that it used to need to top the charts.
    The Beatles had many competitors. I don't know how many bands or singers are around now than in the 60's. So an overhyped artist such as Emili Sande has got a bigger chance as I think music knowledge is going down a bit.

As for Florence and Ed can't stand their dirge either.
  • NickKamenNickKamen Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    It seems on digital spy the beatles are the only ones who are allowed to have any sort of success. People need to stop being so pig headed.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because successful doesn't automatically mean good.

Successful doesn't automatically mean good but long term popularity is usually a good indicator. And to be fair you don't get many UK listeners putting down The Beatles, Bowie, Queen or Adele, or do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NickKamen wrote: »
    It seems on digital spy the beatles are the only ones who are allowed to have any sort of success. People need to stop being so pig headed.

I'm not a Beatles obsessive, I like some of their songs.
    My personal opinion of Emeli Sande is she has a pleasant voice. Sings songs that are a bit preachy but if its a lot of other peoples bag then fine.
    It isn't mine. There are loads of bands and singers I wish were as successful as The Beatles. It just happens that the majority I like are not chart acts.
  • CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in the year 2060 people will still know who the Beatles are, by 2020 people will think "Emile Sande" is some form of internal disease.

Btw how many worldwide smash hits has Dido & Samantha Mumba had in the past few years? the same hype was put on them also..

thats right I don't remember them either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because in the year 2060 people will still know who the Beatles are, by 2020 people will think "Emile Sande" is some form of internal disease.

:D
    or something to smooth wood with.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say any more people hate a successful artist than those who like them. Success brings exposure, exposure makes more people aware of the artist in question, meaning both their fanbase and their...pool of haters increase simultaneously. I would say a lot of people dislike Emeli Sande, but there are also plenty that love her considering her album hasn't left the top 10 since release. People just tend to pay more attention to hate than love, as cheesy as that sounds.

And anyway, I doubt an artist like Emeli even cares. It's her first album, she's new to the industry and very successful, so she's pissing herself all the way to the bank. Lord knows how much money she's made from this first era of her career, what with the fact she writes her music and performs it any chance she gets.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say any more people hate a successful artist than those who like them. Success brings exposure, exposure makes more people aware of the artist in question, meaning both their fanbase and their...pool of haters increase simultaneously. I would say a lot of people dislike Emeli Sande, but there are also plenty that love her considering her album hasn't left the top 10 since release. People just tend to pay more attention to hate than love, as cheesy as that sounds.

And anyway, I doubt an artist like Emeli even cares. It's her first album, she's new to the industry and very successful, so she's pissing herself all the way to the bank. Lord knows how much money she's made from this first era of her career, what with the fact she writes her music and performs it any chance she gets.

According to the Sunday times rich list £5million as has Ed and the 1D boys each.

As for Ed he may not hit the radar here but on other music forums he is well and truly hated with the nickname the dirge with the guitar :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where is it written that because a British artist is succesfull we are not allowed to dislike them??
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Where is it written that because a British artist is succesfull we are not allowed to dislike them??

The thread topic wasn't a statement, it's a question. No one said you're not allowed to dislike them, they're just asking why in the context of their success.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    The thread topic wasn't a statement, it's a question. No one said you're not allowed to dislike them, they're just asking why in the context of their success.

But the final sentence of the first post seemed to imply that because an act is successful they should be immune from criticism

It baffles me why a country feels the need to knock those that are successful.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of those mentioned in the OP are bland and middle-of-the-road. Adele has a great voice and some very good songs but for me she's a bit on the bland side. The others (1D, Sande and Sheeran) just seem like attempts to create massive stars when the content isn't really there. The Beatles, Bowie, The Stones etc. were risk takers and innovators in terms of music AND image while the likes of Sande are the epitome of safe. I feel that she, Sheeran, 1D and Leona (when people still cared) are very much forced down our throat to try and create these iconic figures but they simply aren't good enough to live up to past legends of British music.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Dunno. It's weird. The US don't do it often, shows up our side of the Atlantic really. The UK artists who hit the US often blow up big even for a an album or two. What may seem normal here is rare there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From an outsiders point of view, I have noticed this as well. It seems as though people in the UK don't like seeing success. That might not be true, but that is the way it seems. Unless the success isn't mainstream. I have seen people say that certain artists deserve more recognition and that they are underrated, but then as soon as they become massive the same people will say they hate the music. The same music they loved when it wasn't well-known. It's like the UK is full of hipsters or something. Like the OP said, I have seen this with Emeli, Adele, Ed, Jessie J(she seems to get a LOT of flack) etc. I recently watched a YouTube video of a guy going around London asking people who exactly listens to Ed Sheeran and if they are mentally unstable.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't particularly buy that this is a british only trait. look at britney spears for instance, look at the negative press and the way the paparazzi`s hounded her. american`s panned her mtv performance in 2007, they witnessed and watched as the drama escalated to chaos. she managed to get her act together to a certain degree and america collectively breathed a huge sigh of relief, but opinion was incredibly negative towards her during her troubles.

then there was the scenario with michael jackson, who opted for a london residency, because of opinion back home. yes, there is undoubtedly an unhealthy obsession in our press with personal failure and many people seem to lap that up, but its not exclusively a british trait in my opinion.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a lot of respect for British artists and bands such as.

Queen
    The Rolling Stones
    Madness
    The Kinks
    David Bowie
    Elton John
    The Beatles
    Iron Maiden & Muse etc etc who have spent Hours on Guitars making their fingers bleed to master a hit.

I have no respect for auto tuned idiots like 1D who would probably cry like little girls for breaking a nail on an electric guitar. There is no doubt that they are successful thanks to auto tuning equipment, Simon Cowell & make up artists making these boys look pretty for teenage girls, but they do not appeal to me as they don't provide the type of music that I would listen to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    i don't particularly buy that this is a british only trait. look at britney spears for instance, look at the negative press and the way the paparazzi`s hounded her. american`s panned her mtv performance in 2007, they witnessed and watched as the drama escalated to chaos. she managed to get her act together to a certain degree and america collectively breathed a huge sigh of relief, but opinion was incredibly negative towards her during her troubles.

then there was the scenario with michael jackson, who opted for a london residency, because of opinion back home. yes, there is undoubtedly an unhealthy obsession in our press with personal failure and many people seem to lap that up, but its not exclusively a british trait in my opinion.
    But look at who you named. They had major controversy surrounding them. The same cant be said for Ed, Adele, Jessie, and Emeli. They barely make a peep in their personal lives as opposed to drug addicted Britney at the time and thought to be child molester Michael. I can't think of a single artist here who a large amount of people want to see fail besides maybe Chris Brown, but that also goes with the extreme circumstances like MJ and Britney. Before he hit Rihanna, no one wanted him to fail like it seems these ne crop of UK artists seem to be treated.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    But look at who you named. They had major controversy surrounding them. The same cant be said for Ed, Adele, Jessie, and Emeli. They barely make a peep in their personal lives as opposed to drug addicted Britney at the time and thought to be child molester Michael.

like you, i am simply looking at it from an outsiders point of view, but the fact remains the american press was incredibly negative towards them. now the press there are focusing on the downfall of lohan. they all have been controversial figures, but the press there did/do hound them like the press do here with our controversial characters.

the press in general have been quite positive to the singers you mention, so what exactly are you basing your opinion on with this alleged negativity on those singers? forum comments? youtube videos?
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's pretty simple really. The record-breaking artists like Emeli Sande and Adele are the ones who are constantly on the radio and TV. You can't get away from them. If you thought they were OK to start with, you might get sick of them over time (like I did from the Emeli Sande overexposure). And if you didn't like them to start with, you're going to get really annoyed at hearing their songs all the time.

For instance I can't stand Ed Sheeran, so I quite often complain when I hear his songs or see him in the newspapers or on TV (which is a lot). I also can't stand Frankie Cocozza, but I rarely whinge about him, because he's less successful and so he's off my radar most of the time.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    sjp07 wrote: »
    From an outsiders point of view, I have noticed this as well. It seems as though people in the UK don't like seeing success. That might not be true, but that is the way it seems. Unless the success isn't mainstream. I have seen people say that certain artists deserve more recognition and that they are underrated, but then as soon as they become massive the same people will say they hate the music. The same music they loved when it wasn't well-known. It's like the UK is full of hipsters or something. Like the OP said, I have seen this with Emeli, Adele, Ed, Jessie J(she seems to get a LOT of flack) etc. I recently watched a YouTube video of a guy going around London asking people who exactly listens to Ed Sheeran and if they are mentally unstable.

It's not the the UK are against people being successful per se, but that a lot of what is successful has to be irredeemably 'safe' (and therefore usually mediocre) to appeal to enough people to sell in large enough quantities to be successful.