Options

iPhone 7 will have things you can't live without says Tim Cook

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like watching on a big screen too, but if I'm watching on a 5.5 screen (or 7, 8 or 10 on a tablet) and have good audio, I'm fine.

I've had no issues watching films on a long flight (or a series of TV shows) and imagine more and more people are getting addicted to it. You can see that just by walking through a train.

Of course not everyone wants a big screen, but lots of people that didn't before do now. They didn't jump from 3in to 5.5in in one go though, just a gradual increase phone by phone.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    When I sold phones it was 12 months, but 18 months was becoming a thing. I am surprised 24 months has become the norm (as in consumers allowed it to happen and didn't kick off), even if some networks still sell 12 month contracts but don't actively advertise them.

Ofcom requires 12 month contracts to be offered, but that usually means a network just offers it on SIM only contracts.

I agree that there would have been a huge spike in sales as Apple finally offered larger screened phones, which I'd say that even people who once laughed at large screens are now embracing. People now want to look at the quality photos they can take, and watch movies on a train, plane or even in bed or on the sofa.

And sales are falling in lots of markets because we're at saturation point. Irrespective of the contract length, most people don't see a need to upgrade at a regular interval - rather when the phone stops working.

Look back at the phones that came out before smartphones. You had different form factors, different features, different colours.. and so you could really pick and choose from all sorts of things. Now you buy a phone that might come in different colours but is still pretty much a flat slate that's mostly screen. The screen is what you want, and on that screen you want access to content and apps.

If it still does that tomorrow, why change?

Apple will have to adapt just like everyone else. Of course it needs to continue releasing new phones, but I doubt we'll see the mass hysteria over a new phone launch repeated in the coming years - for ANY company.

Is the two year thing the same everywhere or just the UK?

I agree sales will inevitably plateau as the market matures - I do think a lot of the media seems to go overboard as though Apple are somehow doomed just because there can't continue growing exponentially forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    The factor is that there is very little new in the 6s when compared to the 6.

Samsung releases a whole new phone with lots of things added/fixed and as a result they sell millions. The market is there, just not for Apple anymore.

Hopefully this is going to force Apple to really innovate again as, like I say, they always release a great product after falling for many years.

Can I ask what figures you are citing there?

It sounds as though you are saying there is string demand for the S7, but very limited market for the iPhone.

And this is because the Galaxy has a host of new and exciting features in each new model, and the iPhone does not.

In which case, can I ask what you would say are your favourite five new features on the Galaxy?
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Can I ask what figures you are citing there?

It sounds as though you are saying there is string demand for the S7, but very limited market for the iPhone.

And this is because the Galaxy has a host of new and exciting features in each new model, and the iPhone does not.

In which case, can I ask what you would say are your favourite five new features on the Galaxy?
    Analysts now estimate that Samsung shipped as many as 10 million units of the two Galaxy S7 models in the first quarter, which is about 30% to 40% higher than what the market had previously forecast, putting the S7 series on track to outperform the preceding models.

Alright, it's an estimate but it's not going to be hugely different.

Compare that growth to the decrease of the iPhone and I think it's pretty clear that Apple is falling.
    Apple sold 51.2 million iPhones in Q2 2016, compared with 61.2 million in Q2 2015

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-q2-2016-financial-results-how-many-iphones-ipads-watch-macs-sold-revenue-results-earnings-3581769/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Alright, it's an estimate but it's not going to be hugely different.

Compare that growth to the decrease of the iPhone and I think it's pretty clear that Apple is falling.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-q2-2016-financial-results-how-many-iphones-ipads-watch-macs-sold-revenue-results-earnings-3581769/

This is confusing - you seem to be saying there is a market for the Galaxy because it sold 10m units in the last quarter, but there is far less of a market for the iPhone, because it sold 51.2m in the last quarter.

Is that correct? I must be missing something because 51.2m sounds like a pretty healthy market to me.

You didn't say what your five favourite new features of the Galaxy are....
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    These new "can't live without features will be interesting". I imagine they are completely new and ground breaking new tech. I am sure they would not have been available to previous iphone users, who obviously would have had them made available given the massive importance Cook places on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you have a point to make at all?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours, often wrong, have that the 7 Plus will have a 5.8" and OLED screen.

The pundits though have it that Apple is buying OLED in 2017, and even that only the 8 will be Note size, not the 7 Plus. Though a claim 4 new phones are releases 2016 says we might have a 7, a 7 Plus and an Iphone 7 Plus Plus (iPhone Pad?)
    What I do wonder is if Apple will also introduce Big.Little to improve battery management.

That Helio X20/X25 has 3 clusters plus an mp3 player core.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cannot be anything such as OLED though already been dismissed by Cook previously. In any event these "can't live without" features cannot have been available previously, well unless Cook is saying iphone users could live without them before :confused:
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Iphone 7 will have the following must have / must upgrade

1) Removable battery
    2) Expandable memory via a removable memory card
    3) A micro USB universal charger
    4) Wireless charger
    5) £ 99 price tag and all unlocked/ sim free
  • Options
    Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Cannot be anything such as OLED though already been dismissed by Cook previously. In any event these "can't live without" features cannot have been available previously, well unless Cook is saying iphone users could live without them before :confused:

I have knocked your trolling skills in the past but I must say you are still getting a rise out of Mr Pie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I subscribe to the "give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves" school of thought.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sure.

If you hold everyone to anything they have ever said, and ignore the simple fact that technology improves over time.

But why would you do that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you claiming (in the example given of OLED) that the tech has improved so much between being dismissed by Cook and now it has become a must have "can't live without"?. Seriously are you actually saying that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you claiming (in the example given of OLED) that the tech has improved so much between being dismissed by Cook and now it has become a must have "can't live without"?. Seriously are you actually saying that?

No - I'm not saying that.

You mentioned OLED in your trademark snipey manner, so I just pointed out that even if they do switch to OLED your sniping is unfounded because tech improves over time.

No-one said anything about OLED being something that people can't live without.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So when I said it couldn't be OLED, I'm not sure why you felt the need to comment if we agree it was not what Cook was referring to :confused:
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it will come with some sort of actual reality distortion field functionality?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    They have all had that since day one. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when I said it couldn't be OLED, I'm not sure why you felt the need to comment if we agree it was not what Cook was referring to :confused:

Because you weren't just saying that - you were clearly having a dig on account of what Cook had said previously, and now you're trying to be a smartarse about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No need for that I'm sure.

I'm sorry I quote Mr Cooks dismissal and I'm sorry it upsets you so much if you think I'm having a dig at a multi millionaire CEO. However I can't change what he said because of it.

I'm also sure apple don't need you as their white knight every time you consider someone is mean to them or their CEO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes a spade is a spade, and all that.

I'm not upset, and nor am I some sort of white knight - you do have a flare for the overly dramatic.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have an iPhone 5. I've had it from the day it came out. I previously before that had an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 3G. I refuse to get rid of my iPhone though until they bring out an iPhone which has a significant difference in features. Since the iPhone 5 there has been another four models (iPhone 5s, 6, 6s and SE) and apart from the finger print feature there is in my opinion nothing that warrants me upgrading. I recently bought my mum her first iPhone (the SE) and I can honestly say that there is pretty much no difference between that and my iPhone 5, apart from the finger print feature and a bit of a better screen. I have stayed with Apple for so many years as I do like their products and they just work amazingly well. I was thinking that the iPhone 7 in September might be the time that I upgrade depending on what it's like, however I absolutely hate the big screens of the 6 and 6S and I'm guessing the 7 will also have a big screen. If that's the case, I think I'll probably finally move away from Apple and get another make of phone. I can't stand the big screens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it depends on usage, but a faster processor, a much better camera, much better battery life, twice as much RAM, Touch ID and Apple Pay are fairly significant improvements on the SE over the 5.

If you like Apple, but don't like the bigger screens then the SE seems like a good bet. I recently went from a 5S to an SE and love it.
  • Options
    AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brother in laws the same,twice he has had an iphone 6 and both times sold them went back to a 5.I tried to convince him to get an SE but he cant wait and is going for a 5S 64gb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Sometimes a spade is a spade, and all that.

I'm not upset, and nor am I some sort of white knight - you do have a flare for the overly dramatic.

Then as usual I have no idea what your point was through all this. I suspect you don't even know yourself. It seems you are soon keen to pounce on anyone who seems to be anti apple that you don't even consider what point it is your making.