Options

iPhone 7 will have things you can't live without says Tim Cook

Comments

• Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    Then as usual I have no idea what your point was through all this. I suspect you don't even know yourself. It seems you are soon keen to pounce on anyone who seems to be anti apple that you don't even consider what point it is your making.

Is there any chance you might decide to stop derailing Apple threads any time soon?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    About as much chance as you making a worth while post I suspect. Although I'm curious how a thread to which no one had posted to for 5 days until I did has been derailed, oh wait I forget who's asking :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    About as much chance as you making a worth while post I suspect. Although I'm curious how a thread to which no one had posted to for 5 days until I did has been derailed

Does it matter how many days a thread has or hasn't had a post, a few days without a post isn't an excuse for trolling, much the same as you are doing in the iPhone SE thread.

Your Apple trolling is really quite annoying when trying to read a thread.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    A thread that would still be dead with nothing to read now if I had not posted, bizarre logic. What you boringly call trolling, I call informed opinion.
    As is all to common in any apple thread on the net when the pro apple view is not followed the bully boys shout down dissenting voices. A proper mac forum would be a better place for your bullying, browbeating approach where no form of discussion is tolerated.
    I rarely see you post anything other than reinforcing your own personal bias against anyone who differs.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Sad that the mods are so ineffective around here that nothing is done about such blatant trolling that happens time and time again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I rarely see you post anything other than reinforcing your own personal bias against anyone who differs.

Just proves my point, I seldom post in Apple-centric threads because of the garbage posted just for the sake of trolling by one or 2 posters, perhaps if you actually participated in threads other than the Apple ones you love to derail a little more (and in a more mature fashion) you might notice my other posts...

It's no wonder many of the more prolific and useful posters have left or cut back on posting with the incessent dross from the likes of you in this sub-forum.
  • Options
    Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe just don't feed the troll. It gives them energy. Just never reply again?
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    iPhone 7? One word. iTimeMachine
    Google won't have seen that one coming....
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    What about a feature like in the Apple display booth in London a couple of years back where you aimed your iPhone at plain walls and due to embedded tech in the walls, your phone showed you something different. What if they set up similar in towns, tourist attractions and even in other peoples phones - you could look at your screen and see something like historic views and interactive material - and you could interact with people around you.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about an app drawer, Memory card slot, 2k screen for starters.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand people's fascination with a memory card slot. Why on earth would you want one? It's obviously just me...I just can't see why people are so desperate for one. I've got over 14,000 pictures on my iPhone. Never once have thought about a memory card.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand people's fascination with a memory card slot. Why on earth would you want one? It's obviously just me...I just can't see why people are so desperate for one. I've got over 14,000 pictures on my iPhone. Never once have thought about a memory card.

If you shoot any HD video it can quickly eat up internal memory.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The problem with the iPhone is that when you run out of internal memory the phone ceases to function. Most of the time that's due to photos which Apple make incredibly difficult to delete unless you've previously put them in iCloud Photo Library, which people who've had iPhones for a while won't have enabled.

Android, you just put them on Dropbox or Google Drive.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fascination? It's just people wanting to add more storage.

It also means you don't need to buy the biggest capacity version on sale to cope with changing needs later (and you also save money in the process, considering how much you pay Google, Apple, Samsung etc for that extra storage).

Samsung announced a 256GB card yesterday for phones. I've got a 200GB one now and upgraded from 128 and 64 before. I can easily upgrade and then carry the card over to a new/second device.

On your way of thinking, why does anyone ever think to upgrade a HDD or add RAM to a computer? Of course, now it seems modern machines have soldered in RAM and SSD memory so perhaps that freedom is being removed too.

Apple wants you to buy a higher capacity phone and give a nice bump in profit. It also wants you to upgrade the whole device, not part of it, if you one day decide you want or need more.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    What about a feature like in the Apple display booth in London a couple of years back where you aimed your iPhone at plain walls and due to embedded tech in the walls, your phone showed you something different. What if they set up similar in towns, tourist attractions and even in other peoples phones - you could look at your screen and see something like historic views and interactive material - and you could interact with people around you.

You've just described QR codes.

When you say "interact with people around you", do you mean speak to them? :p
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    If you shoot any HD video it can quickly eat up internal memory.

People should just buy the memory they need. My iPhone has 128GB of internal storage. I'd rather have 128GB of internal storage than 16GB and a 128GB micro SD card.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People should just buy the memory they need. My iPhone has 128GB of internal storage. I'd rather have 128GB of internal storage than 16GB and a 128GB micro SD card.

Why though :confused:

Memory cards are much cheaper than the over inflated prices phone manufacturers charge for more internal memory. Also why would you rather have 128GB of memory over the 144GB in your scenario :confused: Very strange.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you know how much you need today and tomorrow?

And when you upgrade, why are you paying again for more storage instead of removing the memory card you've already invested in?

I accept people do have to buy the storage they need, as they have no choice for more than just Apple devices, but it's surprising that anyone would defend it to this degree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe just don't feed the troll. It gives them energy. Just never reply again?

Si, Senor Steve, maybe you have a point :p
    Resonance wrote: »
    Why though :confused:

Memory cards are much cheaper than the over inflated prices phone manufacturers charge for more internal memory. Also why would you rather have 128GB of memory over the 144GB in your scenario :confused: Very strange.

I could give you an answer, firstly Android can be a right PITA with allowing things to run properly from memory cards, and while I have had a number of (reputable brand) memory cards go corrupt or cease working I have never had it happen to built in phone memory.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cook could have been speculating about future LMOD displays (Mirasol).
    Apple took over a Qualcomm development lab used for these displays, leaving speculation that Apple are developing up from the Qualcomm Toq watch.

So, an improved watch or even other accessories could be Cook's incentive to buy a new iPhone.
    Other speculation says Apple is buying up various struggling technologies. So obviously even stuff that normally costs too much to make might well make good profit in Apple quantities and sale prce.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Qualcomm's tech for smartwatches, but can't see it being used for an Apple watch unless it has improved a lot from the prototypes.. like vastly improved contrast, screen refresh time and resolution.

I much prefer my Pebble over an Android Wear (or Apple Watch) because of the always-on aspect (and 10 day battery life) but you couldn't replace the current watch with something like that, even if in many ways the pros outweigh the cons... it would give rivals to Apple a field day.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    I could give you an answer, firstly Android can be a right PITA with allowing things to run properly from memory cards, and while I have had a number of (reputable brand) memory cards go corrupt or cease working I have never had it happen to built in phone memory.

Cant say I've ever had a decent brand go corrupt. Not to say it cant happen however.

But to be honest, i have never found it a PITA with Android to run apps from it. Move it over, done. Also, it's not just about the apps. It's about storage for HD videos, 4K videos etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Cant say I've ever had a decent brand go corrupt. Not to say it cant happen however.

Ive seen problems with cards from all the brands including Sandisk, Kingston, Toshiba, Samsung and Lexar (as well as the OEM's that come preinstalled).
    But to be honest, i have never found it a PITA with Android to run apps from it. Move it over, done.

Many apps won't move though, including all the Google apps I've tried to. Not to mention, certain versions of Android don't allow any apps to move...
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I liked Qualcomm's tech for smartwatches, but can't see it being used for an Apple watch unless it has improved a lot from the prototypes.. like vastly improved contrast, screen refresh time and resolution.

I much prefer my Pebble over an Android Wear (or Apple Watch) because of the always-on aspect (and 10 day battery life) but you couldn't replace the current watch with something like that, even if in many ways the pros outweigh the cons... it would give rivals to Apple a field day.

Do you think smartwatches (of whatever brand/make) will eventually take off? I find it difficult to see it happening, in that I can't see what the unique attraction of them to the masses would be, but maybe I'm just not imaginative enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see them taking off, as we can see with our own eyes.

In my world I see people at events with them, but outside the tech bubble I generally don't. I saw the odd Apple watch last year but not now. I bet a few have been replaced with an ordinary watch.

My needs are minor. My Pebble has an always on watch face and I enjoy changing them, even creating my own. I get notifications to help me decide if I need to get my phone out, and it tracks my movement and sleep.

I don't run apps on it. No need to with a powerful phone in my pocket.

I don't think Pebble has sold great numbers outside of the tech world or anyone else. Not even Apple, which would be doing more with it if it was as successful as hoped.