Options

The Witch

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else seen this? I watched it the other day and thought it was quite good. Very atmospheric and unsettling. I also liked that they used old world sounding dialogue, which made it seem more realistic.

Comments

• Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it and was a bit let down by the ending
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    terrible film

overated bollocks

does not work at all
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly the kind of horror movie that I'd usually love, but I actually thought it was terrible. I mean, terrible. Genuinely shocked it received such widespread acclaim.
  • Options
    Decepticons1Decepticons1 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Found it boring, wasn't creepy or scary at all.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Worse, my wife had a day off last Friday and bought it from Amazon Prime £7.99!!! She thought all the films were included on Prime (don't ask). She then made it worse by telling me it was rubbish and even worse she didn't even watch it too the end. The only saving grace is it's in UHD so my take a look, just which she'd bought a decent film.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it seems that I'm the only one on here who liked it. :p
  • Options
    Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the one with 'Black Peter'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Is this the one with 'Black Peter'

Black Phillip.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it seems that I'm the only one on here who liked it. :p

So did I.

It plays as a psychological horror for most of the running time which I think is why the shift in emphasis towards the end seemed to alienate so many.

I suspect casting Finchy from the Office may also have made suspension of disbelief harder for British audiences.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had really looked forward to this when it came out but was really disappointed by it. I didn't mind the dialoguie (apparentrly lifted from diaries of the time) or that it's Finchy in the main role, I just found it really slow, and the switch from psychological drama to horror jarred slightly. It felt like the film-makers panicked , or lost confidence in what they were making so felt the need to tack on the ending in the way they did. A real shame as I liked the idea of a period horror, the performances were generally good, even the kids, and it was well shot and very atmospheiric, but ultimately it just didn't work for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Phillip.

Who's Black Peter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Phillip.

Who's Black Peter?
  • Options
    TheAngryGermanTheAngryGerman Posts: 1,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watched it I was mainly WTF but afterwards when I thought about it and talked it through with the person I've seen it it kinda grew.
    I started to like it more then as when I was actually watching it.

Looking forward to see it again. :)
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough I was looking at this in HMV the other day and I was tempted to buy it as I remember it got some decent reviews on it's cinema release. After reading some of the comments on here though it sounds like I did the right thing not buying, I'll just wait until it comes to FTA or maybe Netflix now.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lamin_Ator wrote: »
    Who's Black Peter?

St Nicholas' assistant in Holland.