The Adele Appreciation Thread

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Adele will be #2 in singles, J Lo has won that race by a country mile.

I know I will probably get critcised for this as I don't know Adele, she can do what she likes and it's really none of my business, but I have to say I was disappointed to see her back smoking again on a youtube video in Milan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    If she wants to smoke that's up to her. I don't see why fans are disappointed with it.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Considering what a certain other soul diva who went massive ended up getting addicted to, I think smoking is a pretty small deal. :p

I think Someone Like You's had it's time at Number 1 now, and I actually love J-Lo's song so I don't mind it being replaced by that at all :) She better get Number 2 though!!

And I'm really looking forward to finding out how many albums she sold this week, it could be pretty massive. :)
    Forum Member
    Top 2 in albums chart again! No sales figures yet.
    1. (1) 21 (Adele) 10 wks

2. (2) 19 (Adele) 80 wks

3. (5) WHEN RONAN MET BURT (Ronan Keating & Burt Bacharach) 2 wks

4. (6) GOOD OL' FASHIONED LOVE (Overtones) 21 wks

5. (7) LOUD (Rihanna) 20 wks

6. (NEW) MINE & YOURS (Mary Byrne) 1 wk

7. (NEW) THE KING OF LIMBS (Radiohead) 1 wk

8. (NEW) FEMME FATALE (Britney Spears) 1 wk

9. (4) WHO YOU ARE (Jessie J) 5 wks

10. (19) SIMPLY EVA (Eva Cassidy) 9 wks

Courtesy of Haven
    Forum Member
    Are the sales figures in yet?

Any big releases tomorrow that might trouble Adele?
    Forum Member
    Are the sales figures in yet?

Any big releases tomorrow that might trouble Adele?

Katy B and Foo Fighters, I think. They could both potentially topple her.
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Katy B and Foo Fighters, I think. They could both potentially topple her.

Katy B doesn't have a big enough fan base yet for people to rush out and buy her album. Foo Fighters might do it but I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    I think they would still have to sell 100,000+ and not sure even the Foos could do that these days. Will be interesting all the same. But Adele is just bloody unstoppable at the moment.

PS No sales figures yet.
    Forum Member
    I think Adele's sales might start slowing down next week though - if there's been a big Mother's Day push on top of all the other weeks of high sales then surely the vast majority of people who want the album have it by now? :p Pretty much all my friends now have 21. :p
    Forum Member
    She's clearly now selling to the people who don't normally buy music - and there are millions and millions of them to go for! But this 100,000+ per week can't keep going much longer...can it?
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    She's clearly now selling to the people who don't normally buy music - and there are millions and millions of them to go for! But this 100,000+ per week can't keep going much longer...can it?

I wouldn't have thought so, but you just don't know, do you? She's barely decreased in sales at all after 9 weeks and that in itself creates a ton of word-of-mouth promotion. :) But even still, surely, surely she can't stay at number one for more than another 2 or 3 weeks? By that time it'll have been 3 months! :eek::D
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have thought so, but you just don't know, do you? She's barely decreased in sales at all after 9 weeks and that in itself creates a ton of word-of-mouth promotion. :) But even still, surely, surely she can't stay at number one for more than another 2 or 3 weeks? By that time it'll have been 3 months! :eek::D

Her last week sales of 156k was just 25% down on her opening week's total - 9 weeks previous! It really is absolutely crazy.

If she gets past next weeks challengers, who knows how long she can stay there?
    Forum Member
    Number 2 for Someone Like You this week.

You know, for all the discussion and sales figures we go through on here, it's incredible that, for me, at least, that song just never gets any less beautiful. I must have heard it around 200+ times now and it just never gets old. You know a song's pretty good when after 7 weeks in the top two and constant airplay you still don't want it to end. :)
    Forum Member
    Number 2 for Someone Like You this week.

You know, for all the discussion and sales figures we go through on here, it's incredible that, for me, at least, that song just never gets any less beautiful. I must have heard it around 200+ times now and it just never gets old. You know a song's pretty good when after 7 weeks in the top two and constant airplay you still don't want it to end. :)

That sentiment is shared by countless people who comment on the youtube video. Some confess to having it on repeat for a whole day at a time! There really is something phenomenal about its structure and content...clearly destined to be an all time classic IMO.
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    That sentiment is shared by countless people who comment on the youtube video. Some confess to having it on repeat for a whole day at a time! There really is something phenomenal about its structure and content...clearly destined to be an all time classic IMO.

Oh, definitely. Absolutely everyone knows the song by now and barely anyone seems to not like it. The first time I heard it I was just floored by it, I'll never forget the feeling. :)
    Forum Member
    Digital Spy has this week's sales as over 250,000... my God! Even I wasn't that optimistic! A 65% increase from last week and it's the highest figure yet, in week 10 at number one. That is just unreal.
  • Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    250k for 21 this week!!!! That's absolutely STAGGERING!:eek::eek::eek:

There is no stopping her
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over 250k!!:eek: fook me
    Forum Member
    Looks like she's as little as two weeks away from hitting 2 million in the UK alone. :eek:
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed as 250k. :eek:

Her highest weekly total so far. In week ten. :eek::eek::eek:

Also, it's now the longest running number 1 album for 25 years. :cool:
    Forum Member
    This puts her at 3.5 million worldwide. In 2 months.
  • EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the record is for the highest ever album sales in a calendar year btw...? :o
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wow at 250k this week.
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't expect the Mothers' Day effect to be quite that extreme!
    Forum Member
    F**k me. I said earlier that I thought she could beat her 1st week total but even an eternal Adele optimist like me didn't envisage this!!
This discussion has been closed.