Options

Are Radio 1 snubbing Britney ?

Comments

• Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio one are notorious for this kinda of behaviour.

Yep.

It's not remotely surprising. They've been snots in this way for a long time now. Pathetic, really.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its unfair.
    Compare this to every recent song Rihanna has done, they are all overplayed to death, meanwhile Britney hasn't been played frequently since she released Womanizer.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC can sell out arenas globally and top the albums chart without promotion, then why the hell should Miss Spears - who has benefited from an undue amount of publicity and column inches over the past decade - need Radio 1 to playlist her to get noticed?!
  • Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    ags_rule wrote: »
    If bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC can sell out arenas globally and top the albums chart without promotion, then why the hell should Miss Spears - who has benefited from an undue amount of publicity and column inches over the past decade - need Radio 1 to playlist her to get noticed?!

Britney is certainly not struggling in the album sales or touring departments, it's singles we're on about here. When's the last time any of those bands have had a Number 1 single?
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member

People aren't just going to buy Britney's songs for no reason. Britney can't just put any old tripe out there and expect it to sell. Firstly, she needs the song to be good, and secondly, people need to hear the song. If the song isn't good, people won't buy it. If the song doesn't get advertised, people won't buy it.

Britney is a pop artist, and those groups you listed are rock artists (I think). It's a completely different world between those two genres.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    I agree..a talentless tedious pinky and perky clone,musically irrelevant.

It's funny that you state this, as J Lo is getting loads of airplay & is set to be #1 in the UK. J Lo can't hold a tune & has been musically irrelevant for years.
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is certainly not struggling in the album sales or touring departments, it's singles we're on about here. When's the last time any of those bands have had a Number 1 single?

Having a Number 1 single means nothing these days. Owl City got to the top of the charts, and we haven't heard from him since.
  • Options
    shatteredglassshatteredglass Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    Having a Number 1 single means nothing these days. Owl City got to the top of the charts, and we haven't heard from him since.

It's not as if one hit wonders are a new thing though.

A number 1 single means a lot, it just depends how the artist moves on from it.

In terms of Britney, Radio 1 aren't snubbing her. It got to #21 and dropped out of the top 40, why would they playlist a song that's on its way out when there are much more deserving songs to be played?
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny that you state this, as J Lo is getting loads of airplay & is set to be #1 in the UK. J Lo can't hold a tune & has been musically irrelevant for years.

moot point.you couldnt pay me to listen to Lopez either or tat like Kylie Minogue.:yawn::sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC QUOTE]

:D Jesus christ are any of those still alive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im so glad Britney has a loyal fanbase. Alot of peope wanna see her fail and the fact thst shes probably gonna hit number 3 with Femme Fatale over here and number 1 in the U.S
    is still a huge achievment. Just wish TTWE would atleast hit the top 10 over here!
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DuckSeason wrote: »

Owl City had a fairly decent album that sold okay, so I wouldn't really class them as a one-hit wonder.
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a shame that for whatever reason BBC Radio 1 have decided not to add 'Till The World Ends' by Britney Spears on their playlist, as it's a quality pop/dance song whether you love or hate Britney.... it should be all about the music.
    Hopefully there is still a chance that they may add it sometime in the near future especially if it rises in the official top 75 chart or if she comes to the UK to promote her music.

The song definitely deserves more radio airplay in the UK.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As you know, rock music isn't a singles chart genre - although despite that, Iron Maiden's last official single release went to No. 3, and I think both Metallica and AC/DC went Top 20.

In terms of album sales, this week has just highlighted that Britney is indeed struggling, at least in the UK. Looks like she's going to finish behind two Adele albums and a Radiohead album that already had a digital release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you know, rock music isn't a singles chart genre - although despite that, Iron Maiden's last official single release went to No. 3, and I think both Metallica and AC/DC went Top 20.

In terms of album sales, this week has just highlighted that Britney is indeed struggling, at least in the UK. Looks like she's going to finish behind two Adele albums and a Radiohead album that already had a digital release.

I don't think Britney's ever been a big album artist in the UK. She hasn't got to No.1 with an album anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Maybe its because her music is pants?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Doesn't stop freaking JLS, Alexandra Burke or *Gasp* The Cole.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member

Good point. I suppose there's only so much shite they can try and shut out.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

This!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    iluvdannii wrote: »
    it's funny cause JLO has done no promo for on the floor apart from Daybreak and the odd phone interview, yet people still know about it!? it just shows that if it's a good song then it will speak for itself!

The J-Lo song is terrible though. Probably the most cynically commercial no. 1 of the past year. Cringeworthy misuse of dub wobbles, cheesy lambada bits tacked on to tap into the latin market, and shameless region name-dropping to try and increase sales. Not that Till The World Ends is much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 (and sometimes Radio 2) are the only stations I can tolerate. Kiss cut and edit the songs, so you only hear about a minuite of the choruses, I refuse to talk about Capital at all, or the other generic station which name is a vital body organ.

Kylie had the same problem last year, they playlisted and hyped "All The Lovers", but they totally ignored her other two singles. Same with Madonna and Hard Candy... "4 Minutes" had an overwhelmingly amount of promotion, i.e: Big Weekend, but they chose to ignore "Give it 2 Me" and "Miles Away". One more reference is, Britney herself with Circus, "Womanizer" was A-Listed, but they chose to ignore "Circus", "If U Seek Amy" and only C listed "Radar" for 1 week before taking it off the next week.

Not that I need to give evidence, but if you compare the chart positions for the songs above, you will see my point. Radio 1 are a huge factor in where they chart, whether, the artist, you or me like it or not.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Radio one don't playlist Alexandra anymore.
  • Options
    EejitEejit Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Lol. I love how Britney fans are determined to find some sort of conspiracy against her. It's like Joe McElderry fans last year. ;) The idea that she's just not actually that relevant or popular these days seems to be beyond them…

Radio 1 playlists songs that they think will appeal to their target audience. Britney isn't someone with particular appeal to 16-24 age group - she's now something of 'legacy' artist. So unless she produced a really awesome track that has wide appeal, then she's not going to get playlisted.

It's nothing at all to do with her being 'pop'. Aled Hadyn Jones is a longstanding member of the playlist committee, and he's about as dedicated a pop fan as you can get.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney is just not as relevant anymore. As the younger fans grow older they realise they dont actually like her anymore and as she becomes older the younger generation see her as too old. Shame, but its just the way it is.
  • Options
    Scoobyh1Scoobyh1 Posts: 2,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what annoys me the most?

The fact that if Britneys music was given to somebody like Rihanna or Lady Gaga then they would have constant number 1's because i believe Britneys music is THAT good.

If people actually give Britney a try and listen to her album, they might actually see how much of a fantastic album it is.

If it were Kings Of Leons album...it'll probably be considered one of the best albums ever....but because it Britney it'll just be chucked out.

Rant over...