desktop pics on bbc site

fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
Forum Member
how can i get pics from the bbc site to be my desktop background? all i get is the option to look at background image? is it me or them?

Comments

• TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't make head nor tail of the new website. I think it's utterly terrible.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    how can i get pics from the bbc site to be my desktop background? all i get is the option to look at background image? is it me or them?

If you are looking at the galleries at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/galleries/p00yb4f7 for example, it's because the images are being injected via a script and will not show up as savable through a right-click so you can't save them.

There is a way to get them that is simple enough to do but a bit complicated to explain.
    1. Use Firefox to visit the DW site.
    2. Go to the gallery you want to get pictures from
    3. View all of the pictures in that gallery - you need to view them all without leaving the page.
    4. Right click on the last picture viewed and select "Voiew page info" from the pop-up menu.
    5. In the Page Info window that opens, go to the "Media" tab.
    6. In the bar above the larger window, click twice on the word "Type".
    7. In the larger window, you should now see a list of some small images and the word "Image". Click once on the top entry and use the cursor keys on your keyboard to scroll down the list.
    8. You will see a load of small graphics and background images to begin with but partway down the list you'll start seeing the pictures you want to save.
    9. When the first picture you want to save appears, stop scrolling
    10. Click on the "Save as" button just above the picture - on the right-hand side.
    11. Once the picture is saved, scroll down to the next one and do the same to save that.
    12. When you've grabbed all of the pictures you want, close the "Page info" window.
    13. If you want to view and save pictures from another gallery, repeat the above.

Like I say, easier to do than to explain.

Note - these are not "wallpapers" so they will probably only be about 900 pixels wide.

One point - remember that these are copyrighted images that have not been made directly available as downloads so don't "share" them or you could end-up in trouble.