Death Comes to Pemberley, BBC1&HD, 8.15pm 26 Dec; 9pm 27 Dec; 9pm 28 Dec

Comments

• NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, how come there was no blood on the headstone? Denny's head was smashed in quite badly.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it was no masterpiece, but will say, the 3 episodes could have been done in 1 episode, about 1½ hours long.

We took a decision to seperate Austen's P & P and subsequent staged/filmed/TV dramas and treat DCTP as a crime story and nothing else.

Probably wise.

I tried to put all expectations aside, and for the most part, I really enjoyed it too. I was just disappointed with the ending.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Also, how come there was no blood on the headstone? Denny's head was smashed in quite badly.

I thought that, unless the rain from the storm washed it off? :confused:
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...and one's that is in a different colour! Green does NOTHING for her skin tone.

Colonel Fitz didn't want the scandal of WIckham's illegitimate child to taint Pemberley and Georgiana - moreso Georgiana because of hher attempted elopement with Wickham. His heart was in the right place, but the way he went about it made Georgiana look like tainted goods and that he (Col. Fitz) was merely doing her favour.
    Rednell wrote: »
    Something to do with protecting Georgiana. It sounded like hush money -pay woman off, baby goes home with Mrs Young, no evidence of George's misdeeds coming back to haunt either Darcy or Georgiana.

Thanks, I thought I missed why he was there with the woman and I did wonder why Darcy got so shouty with him. It was such a shame as he was lovely in P & P and good friends with Darcy, not sure why he was turned into a bit of a git this time round, another dodgy type could have been introduced as a suspect, Darcy must have a lot of friends and neighbours who could have had suspicion cast upon them.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Probably wise.

I tried to put all expectations aside, and for the most part, I really enjoyed it too. I was just disappointed with the ending.

Yes I agree. The whole thing wasn't ideal, but was ok - some good bits.

But the ending was so underwhelming.
    Turns out no-one wanted Denny dead - it was a mistake.
    And he wasn't even killed. He got whacked on the head, and then fell to an accidental death.
    Yaaaawn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that, unless the rain from the storm washed it off? :confused:

Was there a rain storm that same night? I can't remember. It would make sense, I suppose.

Whatever happened to Darcy and Lizzy after P&P, DCTP wasn't it to my mind. It was entertaining for what it was, but I miss the wit, the banter, the chemistry, the liveliness of the original characters. And no sequel worth its salt can do away with them.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member

Whatever happened to Darcy and Lizzy after P&P, DCTP wasn't it to my mind. It was entertaining for what it was, but I miss the wit, the banter, the chemistry, the liveliness of the original characters. And no sequel worth its salt can do away with them.

i shall watch P&P again and remember this as unconnected to Darcy and Elizabeth :D
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Well I quite enjoyed that. It was more entertaining than the actual book which I thought was very dull.

I did think Darcy's offer to look after Wickham's illegitimate baby was a bit too 21st century. I do hate it when they imbue characters which were created hundreds of years ago with modern attitudes.
  • clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Ah now you have me thinking I must go and watch my version. I have the earlier Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root version which in my humble opinion is the best Austin adaption of them all - and I like them all. Lovely as Rupert's Wentworth is I just loved Ciaran's noble longing - brilliant. There was not a bad performance in it and everyone seemed perfectly cast.

I love the Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root version of Persuasion. I am afraid that Rupert P-J did not strike me as a weathered sea captain who had spent many years at sea. You could certainly believe that of Ciaran Hinds.

I loved the series "Lost in Austen". It had a great cast and was great fun.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarendel wrote: »
    I did think Darcy's offer to look after Wickham's illegitimate baby was a bit too 21st century. I do hate it when they imbue characters which were created hundreds of years ago with modern attitudes.

This 100%, it kills me when period dramas do that and the BBC ones are much bigger culprits probably due to them trying to be PC when the era clearly wasn't.

The child would have been fine in some random new home which is what would have likely happened but no, we have to shove some 21st century notion of responsibility into the 1800s.
  • Forget-me-notForget-me-not Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How annoying was that ! Wasn't even a nice dress.

Surely a woman of her station and wealth would have been more finely dressed, including her hair. She looked so careworn and messy she looked more like a farmers wife or perhaps she had to do all the cleaning of Pemberly herself! My main problem with Lizzie though is that she lacked any wit. She was just a bit too worthy and dull for me.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yes I agree. The whole thing wasn't ideal, but was ok - some good bits.

But the ending was so underwhelming.
    Turns out no-one wanted Denny dead - it was a mistake.
    And he wasn't even killed. He got whacked on the head, and then fell to an accidental death.
    Yaaaawn.

and surely Louisa would have known Wickham very well as....Wickham. They'd both grown up on and around Pemberley.

On the subject of Col. Fitzwilliam, I agree with the comments about how surely it could have been a different friend of Darcy's that was chosen to be the disappointing one. In P&P it was made clear that the small number of people close to Darcy were ones that had already proven themselves to be worthy of being called true friends.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    This 100%, it kills me when period dramas do that and the BBC ones are much bigger culprits probably due to them trying to be PC when the era clearly wasn't.

Not sure about that, Downton Abbey is ludicrously politically correct so as not to offend.
    Forum Member
    Surely a woman of her station and wealth would have been more finely dressed, including her hair. She looked so careworn and messy she looked more like a farmers wife or perhaps she had to do all the cleaning of Pemberly herself! My main problem with Lizzie though is that she lacked any wit. She was just a bit too worthy and dull for me.

She was indeed positively scruffy and unkempt. By the time she entertained Lady Catherine, that green dress could have walked to the table by itself. And yes, her hair was falling out of the same hair comb/slide throughout the whole thing. She surely wouldn't have gone off to Derby or anywhere else without a bonnet, either.
    A very sad, drab, miserable, boring Elizabeth. No offence to the actress, mind you. It wasn't her fault she was miscast and given a rubbish script and no clothes.
    Forum Member
    She was indeed positively scruffy and unkempt. By the time she entertained Lady Catherine, that green dress could have walked to the table by itself. And yes, her hair was falling out of the same hair comb/slide throughout the whole thing. She surely wouldn't have gone off to Derby or anywhere else without a bonnet, either.
    A very sad, drab, miserable, boring Elizabeth. No offence to the actress, mind you. It wasn't her fault she was miscast and given a rubbish script and no clothes.

lydia stole them all and took them to the americas...
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rattie wrote: »
    Not sure about that, Downton Abbey is ludicrously politically correct so as not to offend.

I disagree in some regard for example at least Downton characters acknowledged the presence of a black man unusual at that time whereas in The Paradise not a single eyebrow was raised and the guy in question was British much more implausible than in Downton where he was an American jazz singer.

I agree about other aspects of Downton being PC, the gay storyline for example but in that most recent case The Paradise was ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and surely Louisa would have known Wickham very well as....Wickham. They'd both grown up on and around Pemberley.

On the subject of Col. Fitzwilliam, I agree with the comments about how surely it could have been a different friend of Darcy's that was chosen to be the disappointing one. In P&P it was made clear that the small number of people close to Darcy were ones that had already proven themselves to be worthy of being called true friends.

I do wonder if P.D. James read different P&P to the rest of the world.:confused: I don't know, maybe she read some inferior work called "Postage and Package" with characters called Fitzroy D'arcy, Georgie D'arcy, Commander Fitzroy, Eliza Benjamin and her sisters - Janey, Lyndsey, Maria and Kat, Captain Daniels and his friend Georg Ricksaw or something. Otherwise I can't think of any other plausible reason why a writer of her calibre would write such a stonking mess of book.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I disagree in some regard for example at least Downton characters acknowledged the presence of a black man unusual at that time whereas in The Paradise not a single eyebrow was raised and the guy in question was British much more implausible than in Downton where he was an American jazz singer.

I agree about other aspects of Downton being PC, the gay storyline for example but in that most recent case The Paradise was ridiculous.

Downton did acknowledge it as unusual but Lady Rose meeting up with him in public, unchaperoned would have raised a scandal that would have been the talk of the town. A woman in her position would never have dared do that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Phaha! It would've walked to the damned lake and plunged itself in it for a bloody good wash! Like how many months did she wear the ugly garment, day in and day out?!
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed that.......despite its flaws.

Me too. For me it's been one of the best things on TV this Christmas.
    Forum Member
    Phaha! It would've walked to the damned lake and plunged itself in it for a bloody good wash! Like how many months did she wear the ugly garment, day in and day out?!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm reading Jane Austen's letters at the moment, and 90% of the contents are full of details about new dresses, ribbons and bonnets. She was more into clothes than anyone I've ever come across.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the time she entertained Lady Catherine, that green dress could have walked to the table by itself.

Hahaha - ewwwww. That actually made me laugh. :D
  • firstslipfirstslip Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good old post Christmas romp. Made me smile, bite nails and lust after a vast number of really hot men in great shirts. What more do you want?

I've rarely seen such a gathering of beautiful men in one place! Even the prosecuting attorney and the dying young man whodunnit were hot as hell. For that, I am grateful.

Matthew Rhys may not have been everyone's Darcy, but he was just fine by me, and then some. That voice. Swoon! Could have done without the sex scene though. I'd happily see him boffing merrily in any number of other productions, but it was really unnecessary here. (Am I allowed to say boffing? Ah well. I have now. Twice.) Someone mentioned him as John Jasper in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. OH YES! If I was Rosa Bud, I'd have scampered off with him and not fawned around for pale scrawny Edwin.

Loved all the early discussions of Jane Eyre and Persuasion etc. My two bits:

Fave Rochesters: Fassbender, as he is simply one of the most stunningly attractive men on the planet, and Timothy Dalton in the near perfect early 80s production.

And the Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root Persuasion was fabulous.
    Forum Member
    firstslip wrote: »
    A good old post Christmas romp. Made me smile, bite nails and lust after a vast number of really hot men in great shirts. What more do you want?

I've rarely seen such a gathering of beautiful men in one place! Even the prosecuting attorney and the dying young man whodunnit were hot as hell. For that, I am grateful.

Matthew Rhys may not have been everyone's Darcy, but he was just fine by me, and then some. That voice. Swoon! Could have done without the sex scene though. I'd happily see him boffing merrily in any number of other productions, but it was really unnecessary here. (Am I allowed to say boffing? Ah well. I have now. Twice.) Someone mentioned him as John Jasper in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. OH YES! If I was Rosa Bud, I'd have scampered off with him and not fawned around for pale scrawny Edwin.

Loved all the early discussions of Jane Eyre and Persuasion etc. My two bits:

Fave Rochesters: Fassbender, as he is simply one of the most stunningly attractive man on the planet, and Timothy Dalton in the near perfect early 80s production.

And the Ciaran Hinds/Amanda Root Persuasion was fabulous.

you have excellent taste!
  • firstslipfirstslip Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    you have excellent taste!

Cheers! I'm still floating on a wave of all that male hotness. :D I could wax lyrical for a while, but I'd better not. It's the shirts, the ones with the billowing arms which are slightly see through and give you just enough glimpse of arm definition but not enough to make it so obvious that further investigation isn't necessary.

Apologies for lowering the tone. I'm making up for any earlier comments I may have made.