Options

How to be Sherlock Holmes: The Many Faces of a Master Detective

Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pzsd9

Has anyone been watching this? We found it very interesting.

Comments

• Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recorded this but haven't had a chance to watch it back, yet.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too busy arguing with people on the Sherlock thread when it was on, lol! :D But I'll try and catch the repeat on Wednesday at 8.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes!. Jeremy Brett was my Sherlock Holmes.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was too busy arguing with people on the Sherlock thread when it was on, lol! :D But I'll try and catch the repeat on Wednesday at 8.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Excellent programme. Good to see Mark Gatiss acknowledge the Billy Wilder "Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" as a masterpiece - a camply comic whimsical gem, not least for Irene Handl's definitive Mrs Hudson! Pops up on Sky now and again.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Excellent program, although I noticed the Beeb rather slyly avoided
    mentioning the US series "Elementary", as well as the
    poorly received BBC Tom Baker "Hound of the Baskervilles". ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I am glad that some others are enjoying it, too.

There were some actors that I had not heard of before so I must look them up.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did not mention Matt Frewers (Max Headroom) version either. They mention Jeremy Brett and how his performance changed over the years. At the time they put it down to depression because his wife died in 1985.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pzsd9

Has anyone been watching this? We found it very interesting.

Yes. Recorded it and watched today, enjoyable. Basil Rathbone was my favourite, remember watching him and Nigel Bruce on a Saturday afternoon on bbc2 as a kid. Wonderful
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn I missed it. Jeremey Brett was easily my favourite and it's hard to watch the current balls up of a Sherlock series (the whole cast to be fair:() that's just finished because of his brilliant portrayal of Sherlock.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Douglas Wilmer, one of the old Sherlocks made a cameo appearance in the last episode of the second series of the current BBC1 version
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Douglas Wilmer, one of the old Sherlocks made a cameo appearance in the last episode of the second series of the current BBC1 version

Which shows how bad is my memory! because that is one of the names that hadn't meant anything to me.

Thank you.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anielled wrote: »
    Damn I missed it. Jeremey Brett was easily my favourite and it's hard to watch the current balls up of a Sherlock series (the whole cast to be fair:() that's just finished because of his brilliant portrayal of Sherlock.

Sherlock is not a balls up - it's quirky and innovative. It was never supposed to be a traditionalist adaptation like Rathbone/Brett or even a detective show but rather 'a show about a detective' (Moffat). Even if you dislike the approach the writers have taken, I have no idea how you can criticise the acting which has been utterly brilliant from all - they're all on the top of their game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should like there to be a "How to be Watson" series :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pzsd9/broadcasts/upcoming

Next on

Wed 15 Jan 2014
    20:00
    BBC Four

Thu 16 Jan 2014
    02:00
    BBC Four
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pzsd9/broadcasts/upcoming

Next on

Wed 15 Jan 2014
    20:00
    BBC Four

Thu 16 Jan 2014
    02:00
    BBC Four

It's also available on the iplayer
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this.

I agree with the post above about the Billy Wilder film. And it's easy to see how the current version used some of the same comedic effects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I should like there to be a "How to be Watson" series :)

Followed by...

How To Be Lestrade and How To Be Mrs Hudson.. :)

One of the more obscure versions of Sherlock Holmes is the one played by Ronald Howard, son of Leslie in an American series made in 1954

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1954_TV_Series)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Throughout the show I was trying to place the voice of the narrator but couldn't work out who it was. Thankfully the credits helped me in that respect

Peter Wyngarde aka Jason King.. he also played "gossip columnist" Langdale Pike in one episode of the Brett series
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anielled wrote: »

Thay are completely different, though!!

I've read all the stories many times and the Jeremy Brett series was a faithful telling of every story.

BBCs Sherlock is a modern interpretation of the stories.

If the BBC had tried to replicate the stories in the same way as Granada did then a direct comparison with the two would be valid.

It is a bit like saying an apple is so much better at being an apple than a pear is, when the two obviously aren't the same.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sherlock is not a balls up - it's quirky and innovative. It was never supposed to be a traditionalist adaptation like Rathbone/Brett or even a detective show but rather 'a show about a detective' (Moffat). Even if you dislike the approach the writers have taken, I have no idea how you can criticise the acting which has been utterly brilliant from all - they're all on the top of their game.

The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes wasn't a traditionalist adaption. It was a radically modern approach at the time.
    Probably as modern to the audiences back then as the current series of Sherlock is to us right now.

If you see it as traditionalist it may be because of the huge influence it had on future interpretations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this.

I agree with the post above about the Billy Wilder film. And it's easy to see how the current version used some of the same comedic effects.

From watching this documentary it appeared that this current incarnation of Sherlock has borrowed elements from several of the previous interpretations.
    Like an amalgam of what the writers felt were the best elements of the best interpretations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just checked Wikipedia and Christopher Lee has been in three different Sherlock Holmes films playing three different characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Throughout the show I was trying to place the voice of the narrator but couldn't work out who it was. Thankfully the credits helped me in that respect

Peter Wyngarde aka Jason King.. he also played "gossip columnist" Langdale Pike in one episode of the Brett series

I couldn't believe it when I read the credits and saw that Peter Wyngarde was the narrator.
    For some reason I was under the impression that he had died a long time ago.
  • Options
    via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really pleased I watched this.
    I grew up thinking that Jeremy Brett was 'the' Sherlock Holmes, so it was interesting to see how other actors portrayed him.
    But despite still always seeing Brett as Holmes, I really enjoy the modern series and Benedict Cumberbatchs' portrayal.
    Sherlock Holmes was such a brilliant creation it is good to see different interpretations.

Oh yes. Meant to add I'm pleased to see Peter Wyngarde is still with us. :)