The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza)

chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The front-runner for Best Foreign Language film at this year's Oscars.

Has anyone seen it?

Comments

• jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

Great soundtrack. Some striking images and odd surreal moments. Very Fellini-esque. Not sure I'm enamoured of it as some others though.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I've just remembered that I bought on DVD last week. Really looking forward to it now.

I'm pretty sure I saw a trailer for it in the cinema but didn't get around to watching it. 2013 was such a good year for cinema.:)

As jeff says, it did look quite Fellini-esque so bodes well.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Haven't seen it discussed here but from comments elsewhere you either love it or hate it. I loved it: Tony Servillo is amazingly charismatic, the photography is sumptuous, the music is well-chosen and so perfectly mixed you sometimes feel that you're in a decadent nightclub rather than a cinema. It's one of the few films where the entire audience sat there right to the end of the credits, just entranced by the great beauty that is Rome.

I can imagine it wouldn't work nearly as well on a home TV as in a cinema because it's an in-your-face experience with larger-than-life characters. If it's on at the cinema (maybe revived for the Oscars) and you like Italian films then it's highly recommended.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Blue Is The Warmest Colour get a mention? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Didn't Blue Is The Warmest Colour get a mention? :confused:

And the nominations are...

The Broken Circle Breakdown (Belgium)
    The Great Beauty (Italy)
    The Hunt (Denmark)
    The Missing Picture (Cambodia)
    Omar (Palestine)

[source: Google]
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it as the last of the Best Foreign Language film marathon. I fell asleep for about 5-10 minutes because the story went nowhere and I was tired after watching 4 films. The film itself was so beautifully made but the story itself, with all due respect, was just not compelling. And I wasn't particularly drawn to the decadent lifestyle portrayed in it.

Those dancing scenes were epic though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrono88 wrote: »
    I saw it as the last of the Best Foreign Language film marathon. I fell asleep for about 5-10 minutes because the story went nowhere and I was tired after watching 4 films. The film itself was so beautifully made but the story itself, with all due respect, was just not compelling. And I wasn't particularly drawn to the decadent lifestyle portrayed in it.

Those dancing scenes were epic though.

You should have watched it first and then fallen asleep in one of the other films.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    You should have watched it first and then fallen asleep in one of the other films.

It would have been better if this was the first film scheduled. I blame the cinema.

It was a feat though. 5 films in a tiny cinema for a day. All tickets sold out.
  • jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No longer the front-runner :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Yes. Haven't seen it discussed here but from comments elsewhere you either love it or hate it. I loved it: Tony Servillo is amazingly charismatic, the photography is sumptuous, the music is well-chosen and so perfectly mixed you sometimes feel that you're in a decadent nightclub rather than a cinema. It's one of the few films where the entire audience sat there right to the end of the credits, just entranced by the great beauty that is Rome.

I can imagine it wouldn't work nearly as well on a home TV as in a cinema because it's an in-your-face experience with larger-than-life characters. If it's on at the cinema (maybe revived for the Oscars) and you like Italian films then it's highly recommended.

Well, we settled down to watch this on DVD on Saturday and managed about half an hour before switching it off as nothing seemed to happen.:blush: The nightclub dancing scene just seemed to go on and on for no apparent reason. I was reminded of the interminable wedding scene in The Deer Hunter. The dialogue seemed utterly pretentious, which is, perhaps, deliberate. There's a parody of Fellini in one of Woody Allen's films - guys in sunglasses walking and smoking and talking about sex and it was quite a lot like that.

I'll give it another go at some point.