Options

The Crimson Fields

Comments

• Options
    dwisemandwiseman Posts: 4,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, no posts about this for 4 days. Anyone looking forward to ep 2? ;)
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    dwiseman wrote: »
    Hmm, no posts about this for 4 days. Anyone looking forward to ep 2? ;)

I am....:)
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am and looking forward to it, but recording it as watching Endeavor first :)
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same. Endeavour must come first :)
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I just caught up with this and I thoroughly enjoyed it (although it's not surprising as I love period dramas and medical shows!) I thought the first episode did a great job of setting up the characters, the conflicts and the stories. I'm especially keen to see what Sister Quayle (Kerry Fox looks exactly like Charlotte Rampling - thought it was her from the trailer) will do next and I am loving Suranne Jones' character. Oona Chaplin is particular is brilliant. My Sunday nights for the next couple of weeks are sorted.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really did want to enjoy this last week, but half way through - I got quite bored. Seem to have been there so many times before, via books and documentaries - and most WWI programmes have featured the same theme. Will give it another go - but the characters seems very formulatic. Not grabbing me so far. Perhaps if we get more detail about the main characters and their home lives?
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really did want to enjoy this last week, but half way through - I got quite bored. Seem to have been there so many times before, via books and documentaries - and most WWI programmes have featured the same theme. Will give it another go - but the characters seems very formulatic. Not grabbing me so far. Perhaps if we get more detail about the main characters and their home lives?

:confused:

What?... like conflict, mass slaughter, military cock-ups and horrific injuries... that sort of stuff?

I suppose they could consider adding in a few astronauts, dragons and superheroes.... maybe even a few washed-up soap actors and gangsta rappers living in a luxury house in a jungle in Essex, engaged in tasks such as eating each other's faces, three legged trombone-playing, wrestling with armadillos, opening up 22 red boxes to reveal a sum of money and dancing the Argentine Tango in order to win their week's food. :D

I shall be tuning in at 9.00 to find out... ;-)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On air...
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muppet been sent for a long stand...
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats an old nurses joke and its a long STAND
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to stay awake
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to admit it is verrrry slow
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Another good episode, it mainly just continued where the first episode instead of really stepping up a gear which is a shame, but it still had some great performances and the characters are starting to be filled out a bit more. It'll be interesting to see what becomes of Berwick and Sister Quayle's apparent alliance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone help me out the phone rang as Oona Chaplin was talking to the matron
    Did she say whete her daughter was ?
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    For anyone interested in the realities of World War One as well as a dramatisation about it, please do look at the book, or at its reviews, to which I gave a link.

For me, having thought about the programme overnight: generally, it seemed too clean, the white of the uniform stayed too white. I may do channel hopping next Sunday between this programme and Endeavour.

I found Endeavour so gripping that I forgot about Crimson Fields until some adverts towards the end of Endeavour, so had a quick look: not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Trying to stay awake

I failed :(
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it and glad I stuck with it this week.

Her daughter is with her mother, duckylucky :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Yes...I enjoyed it too. Matron seems a lot more sympathetic, especially to KT. I liked 'posh young 'un' stepping up too. Still hate the other Sister and I thought that Rupert Graves and Johdi May were excellent guests.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »

Not that I recall. Presumably it is all going to be revealed over the next few programmes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it and glad I stuck with it this week.

Her daughter is with her mother, duckylucky :)

Thank you . Do we know why she is dead to her mother ? Bloody phone call !!
    I must have enjoyed if I care about her !!i did find it slow but still found myself caring
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this series (if that's the right way to put it). I like good straightforward, well acted drama that keeps your emotional interest. If some call that formulaic, then that's OK. It's a long time since I've watched a series that has made me care about the characters and the situations quite so much, and I can't remember the last time I actually cried at something on tv - I did tonight. I know lots of people will disagree with this, but it reminds me of a slightly more syrupy version of Tenko. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karly wrote: »
    I'm loving this series (if that's the right way to put it). I like good straightforward, well acted drama that keeps your emotional interest. If some call that formulaic, then that's OK. It's a long time since I've watched a series that has made me care about the characters and the situations quite so much, and I can't remember the last time I actually cried at something on tv - I did tonight. I know lots of people will disagree with this, but it reminds me of a slightly more syrupy version of Tenko. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

I liked it and will watch but not a patch on Tenko in my opiinion. Then again Tenko was in a class of its own
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok have it another go but it lacks quite a lot, no matter how well the drama is filmed if its slow and plodding then viewers will desert, I echo another FM's comments about it being too clean, the uniforms were far from spalling white after a few days in a field hospital and my mother earlier this week remarked that smoking by females was not tolerated be it out of sight of the patients staff or not, I'll have to get a hold of my G Grandmothers diary from 1917 which was the only year she kept one and see exactly in her own words how horrific the brutalities of conflict were for a young woman in nursing. Sure the stories I remember her telling we're fascinating but I feel I need to read it in her own words so to speak.

Not many talking about TCF here, is that an omen of its ratings fate.
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »

Not that I recall. Presumably it is all going to be revealed over the next few programmes.