Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I have everything crossed!
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Sueeeh wrote: »

But anyway, Doctor Who wins this surely. ;-)

Of course it does - a plot-line of a time-travelling phone box and daleks is far more realistic than the deluded imaginings of most of the XF audtioners. :D
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The target to beat in order to perform above Series 7 is 5.5 million... However if it does go below, then hopefully the good word of mouth should lead to an above average timeshift.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.2 million - 24.7% share.

( X Factor - 9.3 million, 42.3% )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

( X Factor - 9.3 million, 42.3% )

Ouch.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Here's part of the problem, it's lead in is failing it; Tumble: 2.74m (16.7%)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, the 15 minute clash damaged DW just like it did against BGT last year. Why the hell do the BBC keep insisting on that?!

EDIT: The Chase got 4.08 million against it so even that decent competition!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We'll need the breakdown to determine that. But X Factor is UP on the last few years.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

X Factor - 9.3 million, 42.3%.

5.2 million is okay. But it's undeniable now we haven't seen a new Doctor boost, it's just performing a bit below series 7a at this point.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.19m?

Ugh! Why did they ever think starting it in August with a crap lead in was a good idea?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, the 15 minute clash damaged DW just like it did against BGT last year. Why the hell do the BBC keep insisting on that?!

EDIT: The Chase got 4.08 million against it so even that decent competition!

I did express some worry a few weeks ago when it was apparent that there would be a clash with XF. I thought then that the overnights would suffer, and suffer they have.

The BBC should not be sacrificing one of its main programmes in this way, even if the timeshifts will still be big.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems interest is going down this series with the new leading man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was still the most watched show on the channel - Doctor Who isn't in trouble before anybody claims it :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure I agree, the show has been pretty resilient with overlaps before, and i don't think figures have previously indicated damage done by the overlap. The broken down figures will tell us more though.

In context though, the ratings are actually only a couple of hundred thousand less than episode 2 of series 7a (dinosaurs on a spaceship.)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »
    Before you state that with any certainty, please wait for the timeshift/iPlayer figures to come in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    5.19m?

Ugh! Why did they ever think starting it in August with a crap lead in was a good idea?

they started series 7a at pretty much the same time (1st september). It's one week different.

and as for crap lead ins, again par for the course, who can forget don't scare the hare....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NicoleRich wrote: »

Deep Breath was the FOURTH most watched series opener at last count. Overnights are not the final figures :) The BBC have embraced timeshift. Why shouldn't we be able to watch TV when we want to in 2014?

Confirmed that Doctor Who was the most watched programme on the channel and the second most watched programme of the day - by 1 million viewers. Is this a bad thing? Nope - but I'm sure the Internet will spin it, so.

We're a sci-fi show with a strong global audience. We're some way off trouble.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second most watched show of the day. Never expected it to beat x factor. Once timeshift and iplayer are taken into account I will say 7 million. No panic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    19:30 ….. 5.1 (25.9%) ….. 4.6 (23.4%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.8%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.5%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.5%)
    19:45 ….. 5.2 (25.1%) ….. 5.3 (25.6%) ….. 1.0 ( 4.9%) ….. 0.6 ( 3.1%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.3%)
    20:00 ….. 5.2 (23.3%) ….. 7.9 (35.0%) ….. 1.6 ( 6.9%) ….. 0.7 ( 3.0%) ….. 0.4 ( 1.6%)
    20:15 ….. 2.8 (13.1%) ….. 9.3 (43.3%) ….. 1.0 ( 4.9%) ….. 0.6 ( 2.9%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.2%)

Looking at the breakdown, it was actually held down by The Chase, before buckling near the end of the episode. Interesting that the Final Chase segment of the Chase actually scored more than the episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    19:30 ….. 5.1 (25.9%) ….. 4.6 (23.4%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.8%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.5%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.5%)
    19:45 ….. 5.2 (25.1%) ….. 5.3 (25.6%) ….. 1.0 ( 4.9%) ….. 0.6 ( 3.1%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.3%)
    20:00 ….. 5.2 (23.3%) ….. 7.9 (35.0%) ….. 1.6 ( 6.9%) ….. 0.7 ( 3.0%) ….. 0.4 ( 1.6%)
    20:15 ….. 2.8 (13.1%) ….. 9.3 (43.3%) ….. 1.0 ( 4.9%) ….. 0.6 ( 2.9%) ….. 0.5 ( 2.2%)

Looking at the breakdown, it was actually held down by The Chase, before buckling near the end of the episode. Interesting that the Final Chase segment of the Chase actually scored more than the episode!

I hope you didn't copy and paste that from another forum :p
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I did express some worry a few weeks ago when it was apparent that there would be a clash with XF. I thought then that the overnights would suffer, and suffer they have.

The BBC should not be sacrificing one of its main programmes in this way, even if the timeshifts will still be big.

It seems however that the clash didn't affect it at all. The viewing figures were steady throughout - 5.1-5.2m. No drop at all when X-Factor started.
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    and as for crap lead ins, again par for the course, who can forget don't scare the hare....

I'm trying desperately hard to do so :D

The rating is 'meh' - it's not awful, it's not great. The share is a bit low though. DW normally gets 28-29%.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope you didn't copy and paste that from another forum :p

No. Course not. What do you take me for? *shifty eyes* It's the internet, nothing is safe. :P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second highest rated programme on BBC One was Casualty with 3.9 million.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »

The rating is 'meh' - it's not awful, it's not great. The share is a bit low though. DW normally gets 28-29%.

I agree, the share is a bit low, the chase benefited from leading in to the X factor. Like I said, it's an okay rating, but I would have been happier with around 5.5 million.

Next weeks ratings will be key, see if it stabilises around this point.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think that's a good overnight. Its important to take into account four important factors:

1/ Doctor Who is sandwiched between two ATROCIOUS shows (Tumble beforehand, and The National Lottery: Break The Safe afterwards). There is no lead-in to the show and nothing to stay tuned for afterwards either.

2/ X-Factor remains a ratings monster - particularly with Simon and Cheryl returning. Many households would have realised it clashed with the final 15 minutes of Doctor Who and so decided from the outset to watch X-Factor live (during broadcast) and Doctor Who on catch-up.

3/ Before Doctor Who returned, all of BBC1's Saturday evening shows (Tumble, Casualty etc) were only getting about 3m-4m viewers. So 5m+ as an overnight is still a big leap.

4/ The BBC has admitted Doctor Who has a disproportionately high 'catch up' audience and seems happy with that.

I do think things will change when Strictly returns. Doctor Who is a small oasis in a desert of crap Saturday night TV on BBC1 right now. I think its doing fine.