Notts TV

2»

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents can pick up Notts TV and they're almost in Cambridgeshire.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    My parents can pick up Notts TV and they're almost in Cambridgeshire.
    That'll be the Spalding beam (which Notts TV will have been aware of when they made their application).
  • EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    I've been wondering what the weird thing going on with the sound has been for the last week - just cottoned on today that it's a lack of background music drowning out the speech!
    They could do with adding episode descriptions to the EPG data too.

I find the stereo sound on some of the documentary style programmes a bit off-putting. The echoey left- or right-channel positioning of interviewer and interviewee. Might have to switch to mono. :D

Episode descriptions (and accurate EPG content) are definately required.
  • peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it be too much to ask for series linking?
  • Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Any reason why it cannot be received from Waltham in Wilford, Nottingham?
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_P wrote: »
    Any reason why it cannot be received from Waltham in Wilford, Nottingham?

There shouldn't be, a mile to your east it's coming in loud and clear, even on an indoor aerial.

http://ofcom.org.uk/static/maps/localtv/hi-res/Nottingham.png shows predicted coverage from the two transmitter sites

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/NG11+7AA/NA/0/rbbi05g0a70l76qajsk68fks41 Shows the prediction at the Ferry Inn.

If you have a Sky box between your aerial and Freeview receiver ensure it's output channel isn't anywhere near 26.

Have you tried to perform a manual tune on 26 or 514MHz?
    Forum Member
    Thanks, its my dad whos having difficulty getting it - will try to describe to him how to manually tune.
    Forum Member
    Went through the manual tuning over the phone and apparently the signal strength indicator on ch 26 was very very very low, presumably as he is around a mile south of The Ferry the Wilford Hill is having an impact on the quality of the signal. More woringly he had called the Notts TV helpline and had been informed no one was watching on Waltham!
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,943
    Forum Member
    Went through the manual tuning over the phone and apparently the signal strength indicator on ch 26 was very very very low, presumably as he is around a mile south of The Ferry the Wilford Hill is having an impact on the quality of the signal. More woringly he had called the Notts TV helpline and had been informed no one was watching on Waltham!

How old is your dad's aerial. The old analogue services from Waltham used to broadcast on Channels 54 to 64 and Group C/D aerials were used to receive them until Channel 5 came along. Most Freeview services remain in the same Group save for the SDN Com 4 Mux on Ch 29 and Notts TV etc on Ch 26, both in the Group A band. Ideally your dad should have a Wideband aerial to pick them all up particularly as the Notts TV signal may be weaker anyway. Group C/D aerials will not perform as well on Channels in Group A.

You might compare say the signal strength on the SDN Mux on Ch 29 (538 MHz) as against ArqA on Ch 56 (754 MHz) and Arq B on Ch 57 (762 MHz) as all three have the same power and transmission mode. If Ch 29 is noticeably weaker that might suggest it is the aerial.

How is reception of channels on that Mux - SDN Ch 29?
    10 ITV 3, 20 Drama, 25 Dave ja vu, 26 ITV 4 +1, 27 ITV 2 +1, 30 5*, 31 5USA, 34 ITV 3 +1, 37 Quest, 39 The Zone, 44 Channel 5 +1, 55 Channel 5 +24, 61 True Entertainment, 66 CBS Reality, 72 CITV

You could also check with one of your dad's neighbours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Notts TV signal is about as strong as per DSO Freeview, shows quite a low strength (about 5% on the TV at work in the city centre) but has a more robust error correction so trends to work inspite of that. If you have a signal booster kicking around spare it's worth trying to use that if the signals marginal - I know that tip has helped a couple of people.
    Forum Member
    Despite having a really old aerial (and of the wrong group) + a dodgy cable that manages to leak water into the room sometimes, my parent's tv manages to pick up Notts TV via Waltham. However, it has required some careful manipulation of the aerial cable inside the house to do this. It is wound around the tv stand and taped in place, but works. Incidentally, it worked for SDN without this bodge.

So - if there is enough aerial cable at the back of the tv, you could try bending, looping or otherwise trying to break the cable and see if this improves the signal.
    (If you do this - do it at your own risk and don't blame me if the cable does breaks) :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »
    Despite having a really old aerial (and of the wrong group) + a dodgy cable that manages to leak water into the room sometimes, my parent's tv manages to pick up Notts TV via Waltham. However, it has required some careful manipulation of the aerial cable inside the house to do this. It is wound around the tv stand and taped in place, but works. Incidentally, it worked for SDN without this bodge.

So - if there is enough aerial cable at the back of the tv, you could try bending, looping or otherwise trying to break the cable and see if this improves the signal.
    (If you do this - do it at your own risk and don't blame me if the cable does breaks) :p
    That reminds me of getting the pre DSO SDN... Alas it didn't get BBC b or d3&4 or channel 5 analogue.... :-p
  • CookieCookie Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EEPhil wrote: »

Having the same problem here just NE of Hucknall. I'm finding that one day I can get Notts TV and then another day there's no signal. Moving the aerial cable around a bit inside the house does sometimes help.
    I've also got old aerials. My main aerial is pointing towards Belmont with clip on Waltham aerial. Hasn't worried me about the few channels I'm missing since we've gone digital because I also have Sky. I'm not paying out for a new aerial, just for Notts TV until it gives up altogether, as I can get most channels I need. I seem to be getting the BBC channels from Waltham and ITV Channel 4 etc from Belmont at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One way to prove you have a shared playout centre that even an experienced broadcaster like STV is using....

http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/digitalspy/screenshot033.png

:D
    Forum Member
    One way to prove you have a shared playout centre that even an experienced broadcaster like STV is using....

http://kjs.me.uk/3rdparty/digitalspy/screenshot033.png

:D

I spotted that one, and meant to save an image - but didn't. Thanks for the reminder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who haven;t noticed, the broadcasting hours have been extended from this weekend.

Now Starts at 15:00 Friday's and 13:00 Saturday's :) , alas it's for more Football.... :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been a local coffee shop advertising too (only seen a single add mind) - there is enough padding round them to imply they are working to get more advertisers on board.

Unsurprisingly the padding material has vanished and there are more adverts on nowadays.
    Most of the teething troubles seem to have been ironed out too (although they still keep chopping the top of Mark Masterton's head off) - is it just me or does the picture judder quite a lot on panning shots (or when there is quick horizontal movement - e.g. trams moving past)? - It could just be the signal being border-line as it shows signs of impulsive interference I've not seen since DSO.

They seem to have sorted most of these - Mark's head is fitting on the screen nowadays, the juddering has done and no signs of impulsive interference.
    They could do with adding episode descriptions to the EPG data too.

Still annoying this, thankfully their website is rather easy to parse so my media centre now has the details :D

Are any of the male news presenters actually from Notts?, most of them sound like they are from much further north (not that I'm complaining about time there were some of us northerners on the telly without watering down our accents :cool: )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've published their first audience research figures

http://nottstv.com/news?id=54
    • 385,000 people have watched
    • 189,000 watch each week
    • 22% weekly reach
    • 69% will watch several times a week
    Although not directly comparable that compares favourably with the 157,000 (20.0%) who listen to BBC Radio Nottingham each week and matches the weekly reach of 22% that Capital East Midlands gets (that 22% for Capital being across the whole of the East Midlands).
  • upthemaggiesupthemaggies Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Reported in the Nottingham Post this morning; Jamie Brindle, channel director for Notts TV, said: "The buzz around Notts TV was great before we even went on air, thanks to a fantastic marketing campaign and loads of support from the people of Notts. But we had no idea that we'd reach audience levels like this so early on."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-TV-pulls-viewers/story-22840565-detail/story.html
    Forum Member
    They've published their first audience research figures
    Reported in the Nottingham Post this morning;

Sounds like rather a lot of spin to me. What a suprise that the Post (part owners of the channel) are reporting this.
    Can't say that I'm impressed with the channel and the number of repeats. I quite often watch the odd 5 minutes here and there - and get bored. I expect that means I'm counted in all the quoted figures! ie. I have watched, I watch something (even if it is 5 minutes) every week, and maybe even several times a week.
    As people have said before - it would help if the EPG contained better (and accurate) information about what programmes are on and the content. Then at least I could avoid the repeats.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noise Floor is a "proper" music programme for real music fans, but I don't know how much longer they can keep going with just local bands.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Noise Floor is a "proper" music programme for real music fans, but I don't know how much longer they can keep going with just local bands.

Surely it's current format is what local TV is all about though (it's not just local bands - it's those which have cut their teeth here too - e.g. London Grammar from London and Northants who meat at UoN and others who are performing at the cities events). Alas we've seen the last in the present series.

A "best of" local tv music would be welcome - especially in a couple of years when the bands on now are in the charts - e.g. London Grammers performances they've done on Notts TV, STV Glasgow and London Live (for arguments sake) compiled together or just a syndicated best of compiling the best bands from performances on each station.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just been informed by my mother (who still bothers to retune her TV) that we in PE6 have got Notts TV on Channel 8 now, guess that is my local TV channel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notts TV is on the move to channel 7
    Notts TV posts record viewing figures and announces Freeview move to channel 7 @localtv_uk @Notts_TV @TheMediaTweets https://twitter.com/cqnottm/status/712947479067684864

https://twitter.com/ChrisHewgill/status/713027506358591488