Options

CeX selling games for 5p each... why are they bothering?!

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    Posting in the "general" forum as this isn't specifically about computer games, films or TV programmes themselves...

Was in CeX a while ago and noticed they were selling a secondhand PC game CD for 15p. (*) Was actually surprised that they'd bother selling something so cheap, then I noticed a Jeremy Clarkson DVD on sale elsewhere for 10p (ha ha!).

Couple of days ago I was in again and noticed an ancient game (IIRC it was Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2001) selling on CD-ROM for... 5p. This *is* correct- I double-checked the label. :o

I'm not arguing that maybe non-collectable games this old are essentially worthless- they ought to know the value better than me. But... why are CeX even bothering to sell (rather than bin) them at that price, since the overheads must surely end up being higher than what they're selling for?

Yeah, I realise that many will be items that failed to sell at a higher price and they're cutting their losses. But regardless- even if they got them all for free, they'd still have to:-
    * Sort through them
    * File the discs separately behind the counter
    * Price (or re-price) and sticker them
    * Have them take up shelf space
    * Then finally have the staff at the till put it through if (and I mean *if*) someone bought it.

For 5p?!

Granted, a lot of the stuff they sell is for much higher prices, and they probably make money on *that*... but why bother with the ludicrously cheap stuff? It can't be making them any money.

If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind this(!)

(*) Actually, it was two games on one disc, but that doesn't affect the point under discussion. They were seriously ancient; minimum spec was something like a 90s era original Pentium 133 MHz!

Why does it bother you? Some people like a bargain:confused:
  • Options
    Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably have an automated stock system that tells them what has been in the shop for over 6 months or so, or when they have over a certain number of the same DVD, game, etc, and they'd be advised to price-drop...
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it really IS a terrible idea, we should probably stop talking about it in case they happen upon this and decide to stop doing it.
  • Options
    clarky323clarky323 Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJ Jimmy wrote: »
    A few years ago, a mate of mine bought a Dreamcast controller for 1p from Gamestation. I assume, like the 5p stuff you've found, was perhaps old stock they found in the depths of the store?

Also, they probably wouldn't store the discs behind the tills on such low value items, probably using a sticky security tag or red tag if they're in DVD size cases.

one of these would probably cost them more than 5p :D
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Mistake.

As is the existence of CeX in the first place, I think!
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fancy going in my local CEX now to see whats on offer.

Which is kind of where I see the purpose of the low price. Also all those "costs"to stock and inventory the games... It's not really going to cost anything. The people still get paid the same amount of wages for their hours so what difference does it make? and all those small sales soon accumulate.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate this shop.

Full of chavs who haven't got the limited IQ required to use eBay, or crackheads who need quick cash for their recently obtained stolen items. I find it really depressing in there.

But I sometimes see poor families with kids getting excited at going through the games and it reminds me of my childhood so I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental.

There's no way selling stuff at that price is part of any business model, I find it ludicrous people think this.

More getting rid of valueless stock to free up space with an element of loss-leading to get people in the store.

It makes sense.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate this shop.

Full of chavs who haven't got the limited IQ required to use eBay, or crackheads who need quick cash for their recently obtained stolen items. I find it really depressing in there.

But I sometimes see poor families with kids getting excited at going through the games and it reminds me of my childhood so I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental.

There's no way selling stuff at that price is part of any business model, I find it ludicrous people think this.

More getting rid of valueless stock to free up space with an element of loss-leading to get people in the store.

It makes sense.

Of course it's the business model as you have said underneath, most shops have loss leaders to bring people in.

You obviously have never worked in a large shop business.

Every shop business has stock they cannot sell and have to reduce to virtually giving them away to allow new stock.

They knew when they started such a business they would have stock that people wouldn't buy and they would have to reduce so it will have been factored into their model.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it bother you? Some people like a bargain:confused:

It doesn't bother me at all. I was just curious as to the economics and reasons for it from CeX's point of view.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Can't stand this shop. Way overpriced for things.

Not long ago i was looking for a replacement Xbox 360. I had checked places like Game, Argos etc. Argos had them reduced to £99 for a 4gb version. CEX had them second hand, scratched to hell with no box, no headset and a worn controller for.....£129!!

I asked if they would reduce the price being second hand and pretty badly scratched, but they declined even though knowing Argos were selling new ones for £99.

Been in a few times after for a nosey and a laugh at the shockingly high prices.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think this is being overthought. It is simply something that is there, that might be a waste binning it, and it's something a rare customer might be grateful to come across.

The overheads is being overstated as the whole thing is a process.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must admit I've never bought hardware from there or sold them anything but I've picked up a few things I've never seen like the original Forsythe Saga for a tenner, Special Branch for £20, one of the Public Eyes which inspired me to get the other dvds from Network.

Now if someone can get rid of their copy of Budgie locally. ....
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think this is being overthought. It is simply something that is there, that might be a waste binning it, and it's something a rare customer might be grateful to come across.

The overheads is being overstated as the whole thing is a process.

To be honest, you're probably right that I was overthinking it.

The simple answer is probably that for the relatively low number of games at such low prices, it's not worth going out of their way or spending the time to treat them differently- especially if they're already sorted and filed and just need price reducing.

Have to agree with the other guy regarding their hardware prices; for example, I've seen them selling 3rd generation iPods (2007 to 2008) for well over half the new price. Sounds okay until you remember the batteries aren't user-replaceable and most still around will be nearing the end of their life (mine died 18 months ago). Unless you're very skilled (repair classed "very difficult") it's going to cost more than it's worth to replace.

So, not worth £50 or so, but I guess some people won't realise that. And, to be honest, there *are* people out there who'll assume something is cheap or a bargain because they saw it in CeX or eBay, even if this isn't always the case.

Cuts both ways then, but so long as you keep your brain engaged, you should be able to figure out what's an obvious bargain and what isn't.