The 12th Doctor Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
Forum Member
I'm seeing a lot of negativity about the new Doctor on this forum at the moment. I'm trying to be patient with those who don't like Capaldi, because I do sympathise - I've been there, I remember how devastated I was when Matt took over, and for a while I really didn't like him. This is inevitable with every regeneration - some fans will get what they want and others won't.

But the negativity is beginning to get me down. I want to talk about the show without every conversation being a debate.

So, this thread is a place for people to discuss all the things they really like about Capaldi and the 12th Doctor.

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love Peter Capaldi as The Doctor.
    Not had a great story yet, but I think he's perfect.

This is exactly the sort of change I was hoping for. It's very refreshing.
  • ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Count me in!

Love him, and think the gruffer but with hitnts of vulnerability personality is entirely in keeping with someone who has lived so long and seen what he's seen.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I don't think that there have been enough episodes as of yet for us to make an informed decision on his performance.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving Capaldi already - as I have long since expected to. Great range. Admirer of his work for years prior. My first Doctor in the real world, too :D Lovely man.
  • flowerduckflowerduck Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in too. I have enjoyed his previous work and love watching him act. You never get any half measures with him and can always see how much thought and effort he puts into a performance. He makes every word, facial expression and movement count.

You can be sure he will have really thought about 'his' Doctor and how he sees him developing (along with the script naturally). I'm looking forward to seeing how he does this. I don't think anyone should be quick to judge his Doctor. He'll be a slow burner, especially if people are waiting to see his hearts. We'll probably get a smile or smirk an episode for now, if we're lucky. We're nowhere near knowing him (if indeed we ever do) and how can we be after 2 episodes.

I know Capaldi is capable of giving us a wonderful performance. On another note, it never ceases to amaze me how he can make me have such sympathy towards characters such as Malcolm Tucker or the Cardinal. In all honesty I really wouldn't want to meet either in real life and they really don't deserve any sympathy and should not indeed be even likeable. However, with one single look or movement the magic happens.Capaldi is extremely good at working his way slowly under your skin.

So yep, nothing but appreciation from me. I'm really looking forward to his character unfurling (albeit slowly) over the coming weeks.

Edit: Spelling (i'm rubbish!).
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in, too!

Capaldi is a fine actor, one of the best ever to play the Doctor. I have no doubts that in years to come, he'll be regarded as one of THE definitive doctors.

Naturally, some fans will prefer other doctors. You'll never get any consensus on the best or worst doctor, that's the beauty of the show.

But what annoys me is the way some fans claim that the 12th Doctor is unlikeable and has been written badly and isn't how the doctor is meant to be. In truth, what they really mean is: I don't like him; he's not like Tenant's doctor or Smith's doctor. I wish people would be more up front about this, rather than trying to blame the writing or the acting, which I think has been tremendous so far in series 8.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chatting to my mate at work,his wife is a big Doctor who fan,the first episode she hated and didn't take to the new Doctor at all,asking him today whether she was coming round,he said she thought the episode was a bit better:
    So there you go give it another few episodes and she will be loving the new guy.

For me so far so good and I like the fact they didn't make him change his accent
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I like the fact that they've made a change and that there will hopefully be no flirting at all from the Doctor. It was funny with Tennant because he was known for playing Casanova so it was a kind of tongue-in-cheek quirk of his doctor, but it became tedious with Smith.

I also hope that the age thing is never mentioned again (I don't remember the Doctor himself mentioning it; it was other characters). Age has nothing to do with whether Capaldi plays the Doctor as childish, cheeky, cuddly, matey or flirty. He can play it however he chooses; if he's chosen to play a maturer Doctor, that's great, but it shouldn't be implied that it's because of age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter has recieved some appreciation, tonight.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx91/rplon1/Mobile%20Uploads/Things/IMG_20140902_222029_zpsf10ygvn9.jpg
    "I've been very lucky because in the past I've received awards for my acting," he said, upon winning.

"This is the first I've received for my personality, which I assume means they've never met me. The reason I've got this award is because I got the chance to play the roll of a lifetime twice. Malcom Tucker in The Thick Of It. And I also got to play Doctor Who. The real people who know the personality of the year are my family - my mother and my sister and my wife who have put with with my personality and endured it to the point that I can get this."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Very impressed so far. As expected, totally different from Matt (who I loved and is in my top three Doctors) but that's a good thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes he talks too quickly, but other than that he fits the role like a glove.

His candid dry humour is great, and he lends a great gravitas to the serious moments without needing to go too over the top.

And damn, those eye-brows. Sooner or later they will detached and become the Valeyard, I can guarantee that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

This is so awesome! Am very happy for him. He certainly deserves it and I think he is an awesome Doctor Who.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I like the fact that they've made a change and that there will hopefully be no flirting at all from the Doctor. It was funny with Tennant because he was known for playing Casanova so it was a kind of tongue-in-cheek quirk of his doctor, but it became tedious with Smith.

I also hope that the age thing is never mentioned again (I don't remember the Doctor himself mentioning it; it was other characters). Age has nothing to do with whether Capaldi plays the Doctor as childish, cheeky, cuddly, matey or flirty. He can play it however he chooses; if he's chosen to play a maturer Doctor, that's great, but it shouldn't be implied that it's because of age.
    This. Personally I never minded the whole 'romance' thing as much as some others did. While I can understand not having anything on with Clara, there would be nothing wrong with an older actress. River Song would work perfectly.

The idea that the Twelfth Doctor should not have any kind of romance because he is 'old' has all sorts of unfortunate implications to it.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting what happens after the 3rd episode. for me this was when I really started loving Capaldi. I found the episode really funny. Possibly the funniest Who I've ever seen maybe.

IMO he is brilliant in it - so interested to see what people who don' like him will think. if you don't like him after that one then maybe this incarnation just isn't for you.
  • QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loving Capaldi as the new Doctor, so different from the previous two incarnations, which is just what the programme needed.

We went through this with Tennant to Smith, so I'm not surprised it's happening again. Just the nature of the beast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I think Capaldi is a tremendous actor, and perfect as the Doctor. I know we're only two episodes in, but I'm very impressed. It's not just the characterisation of the 12th Doctor (although I am really enjoying the return to a more mysterious and abrasive character), it's the quality of Capaldi's performance. It's so subtle and understated and yet so detailed. He manages to convey a huge amount with very small changes of expression, and manages to seem both coldly detached on the surface and brimming with with conflicting emotions underneath.

I remember I was pleased when Capaldi was announced, but not bowled over. I didn't realise what a treat we had in store for us. I'd seen the stories of how he was the bookies' favourite, but I'd paid no attention whatsoever because the bookies got it totally wrong when they were casting 11. Anyone remember how Paterson Joseph was the favourite for a long time, almost up until the last minute? I got really excited about him being the next Doctor, and I think that was part of what made it hard for me to warm up to Matt Smith - I was hugely disappointed that he wasn't Paterson Joseph. So last year i made a point of ignoring the bookies, I decided that anything they said was almost certainly wrong, so paid capaldi no mind. But I was pleasantly surprised by his casting. I remembered his good performance in Doctor Who and his great performance in Torchwood, he seemed to have Doctorish qualities, and i was relieved that they weren't going for 'young and pretty and energetic' again, because three times in a row would have set a precedent and that would have become the permananent template for casting the Doctor.

Then I watched a load of his back catalogue - Foyle's War, The Thick of It, The Hour, World War Z, The Musketeers, Magicians. I remembered I'd seen him in The Devil's ****, and he'd been great in that. I just grew more and more impressed.

I can't wait to see the rest of S8. I think it could end up being my favourite season so far (at least of New Who). That's not just down to Capaldi, the new direction really works for me. I think the past two episodes have both been very thought provoking, in a way the show hasn't been in a long time. I'm not a Moffat fanboy in the way that I'm unashamedly a Capaldi fanboy, but I really like what he's doing at the moment.
  • ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think he's great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to that Capaldi Comedy.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    This. Personally I never minded the whole 'romance' thing as much as some others did. While I can understand not having anything on with Clara, there would be nothing wrong with an older actress. River Song would work perfectly.

I don't think that there's anything really wrong with a younger actress; Clara's meant to be in her mid-twenties/late-twenties, right? We all coped with the Doctor and River Song. Whilst I like the idea that it's moving away from flirting, I don't think replacing it with very definite insistence that there will be no flirting is really a lot better. It still puts an undue emphasis on an element that isn't really important. Yes, it adds a bit of extra entertainment but can adults really not enjoy a programme unless there's a bit of flirtiness somewhere?

It seems more natural that the show should focus on an avuncular/paternal thing. Considering that the show is a family show, it would be nice to see that dynamic at the centre.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't think that there's anything really wrong with a younger actress; Clara's meant to be in her mid-twenties/late-twenties, right? We all coped with the Doctor and River Song. Whilst I like the idea that it's moving away from flirting, I don't think replacing it with very definite insistence that there will be no flirting is really a lot better. It still puts an undue emphasis on an element that isn't really important. Yes, it adds a bit of extra entertainment but can adults really not enjoy a programme unless there's a bit of flirtiness somewhere?

It seems more natural that the show should focus on an avuncular/paternal thing. Considering that the show is a family show, it would be nice to see that dynamic at the centre.

Agreed. I always liked that dynamic better. I was always opposed to the hints of romance between the Doctor and his companions. Not because I think the Doctor should be asexual, but just because he's a 2000 year old alien, who's seen more and knows more than any human could ever imagine. The gap between the Doctor and any human is too vast for it to ever be an equal relationship, and the whole idea of him pursuing a human romantically is a bit creepy to me. If there had been flirting with Romana, for example, I think I would have been ok with that, and River Song was fairly acceptable.

So for those reasons I'm glad they're taking a 'no flirting' stance, and I don't think it's because Capaldi is seen as too old for that kind of thing (at least, i hope it's not). I just think it comes from Capaldi feeling that it's not an appropriate way for the Doctor to act, and Moffat feeling that he wants this incarnation to be more alien.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi will on on Graham Norton on the 26th. An extra push for the start of the SCD line-up week.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in, Capaldi is a fabulous actor and has made my family actually look forward to Watching DW again.

So glad he won the GQ Personality Of The Year, because he does seem to actually have a really lovely personality, he always comes across as very thoughtful and apparently is really sweet with all the fans.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    I think Capaldi is a tremendous actor, and perfect as the Doctor. I know we're only two episodes in, but I'm very impressed. It's not just the characterisation of the 12th Doctor (although I am really enjoying the return to a more mysterious and abrasive character), it's the quality of Capaldi's performance. It's so subtle and understated and yet so detailed. He manages to convey a huge amount with very small changes of expression, and manages to seem both coldly detached on the surface and brimming with with conflicting emotions underneath.

I remember I was pleased when Capaldi was announced, but not bowled over. I didn't realise what a treat we had in store for us. I'd seen the stories of how he was the bookies' favourite, but I'd paid no attention whatsoever because the bookies got it totally wrong when they were casting 11. Anyone remember how Paterson Joseph was the favourite for a long time, almost up until the last minute? I got really excited about him being the next Doctor, and I think that was part of what made it hard for me to warm up to Matt Smith - I was hugely disappointed that he wasn't Paterson Joseph. So last year i made a point of ignoring the bookies, I decided that anything they said was almost certainly wrong, so paid capaldi no mind. But I was pleasantly surprised by his casting. I remembered his good performance in Doctor Who and his great performance in Torchwood, he seemed to have Doctorish qualities, and i was relieved that they weren't going for 'young and pretty and energetic' again, because three times in a row would have set a precedent and that would have become the permananent template for casting the Doctor.

Then I watched a load of his back catalogue - Foyle's War, The Thick of It, The Hour, World War Z, The Musketeers, Magicians. I remembered I'd seen him in The Devil's ****, and he'd been great in that. I just grew more and more impressed.

I can't wait to see the rest of S8. I think it could end up being my favourite season so far (at least of New Who). That's not just down to Capaldi, the new direction really works for me. I think the past two episodes have both been very thought provoking, in a way the show hasn't been in a long time. I'm not a Moffat fanboy in the way that I'm unashamedly a Capaldi fanboy, but I really like what he's doing at the moment.

Try and find 'Neverwhere' either online or on DVD.

It has the added bonus of a wonderful performance from Paterson Joseph too. :)