Options

5 live: pushing away audience

OK age 40 male and have listened to 5 live for ages.

Recent(ish) changes:
1. Nicky Campbell creeping past 9 am with a debate ugh.
2. VDerbyshire doing "music" reviews.
3. Losing the 12-13 news slot (its lame but it gave a break between am and pm programming.)
4. The seeming defacto Colin Murray replacement being lined up for Mayo.

What am I to do?

I must be dropping out of the target audience as all the above seem to be making me switch over/off more and more.

Any chance of:
1. getting rid of Campbell altogether. Let him do more TV.
2. borrow Colin Murray somewhere off to learn how to speak. Its not his accent, he seems overawed.
2a. Colin Patterson or Julian Worricker back for Mayo when he has to go?
3. play vibraphone music between 12 and 1pm.
2c. or beg Mayo to keep going until the economy improves and I can find an office job.

Is it just me?
Who are these changes designed for?
Where is 5 going?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I have been listening to 5Live since day one and it does seem that the majority of the original very professional presenters have moved on and we are left with a gang of individuals you would rather not be next to in a Pub.
    Try BBC World Service. No bawling Yobs and very professionally put across.
  • Options
    TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The self-opinionated Victoria "dont call me Vicki" Derbyshire is so full of herself its a wonder the woman can breathe:rolleyes:
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the new initiatives have come in to mask the limited talent of the presenters.

One baffling aspect is why Rhod Sharp stays on 'Up All Night' when he is one of the few people who can interact and thus stimulate interviews.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I we are left with a gang of individuals you would rather not be next to in a Pub.

I think an evening in the pub with Peter Allen could be rather good actually. Invite Alex Lester from Radio 2 as well.

Though Derbyshire can stay in the wine bar with a frappachino frascati or whatever it is girls drink these days.
  • Options
    k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of Bacon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

One baffling aspect is why Rhod Sharp stays on 'Up All Night' when he is one of the few people who can interact and thus stimulate interviews.

Rhod imo is a broadcasters "broadcaster" unlike shouty Dalton/Dotun Adebayo
  • Options
    k-bolak-bola Posts: 4,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, Dotun is a legend in my opinion!
    Can't stand Rod - I SO wish I was from the US - Sharp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k-bola wrote: »
    No, Dotun is a legend in my opinion!
    Can't stand Rod - I SO wish I was from the US - Sharp.
    I respect your opinion, but he does try far too hard
    Seeing Rhod lives for a good period of time over there then yes!:D
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think an evening in the pub with Peter Allen could be rather good actually. Invite Alex Lester from Radio 2 as well.
    Though Derbyshire can stay in the wine bar with a frappachino frascati or whatever it is girls drink these days
    Perhaps you'd be better off with 'SexistPatronisingRemarksRUs AM'.

I don't mind Derbyshire or Campbell and like Shelagh Fogarty and Colin Murray. But Richard Bacon is unlistenable to and Worricker is about as exciting as a bus stop conversation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What can I say?
    Most of what has been said on this thread is how I and quite a few long term listeners of Radio 5 feel(though I respect the alternative views of k-bola and kimindex)

Though I agree with k-bola regarding Bacon:Dwho is filling in for Mayo next week:eek:

One can only wonder what the station will sound like when it relocates. Of course Radio 5 might be able to show that it is doing well using statitistics...
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rhod and Dotun are the ying and yang of UAN. They complete each other. Yes, Dotun can elicit more ambivalence than the avuncular, benevolent Rhod, but I wouldn't replace either of them. :)
  • Options
    MotherTeresaMotherTeresa Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poordx wrote: »

Recent(ish) changes:
    3. Losing the 12-13 news slot (its lame but it gave a break between am and pm programming.)

What am I to do?

I must be dropping out of the target audience as all the above seem to be making me switch over/off more and more.

Any chance of:
    2. borrow Colin Murray somewhere off to learn how to speak. Its not his accent, he seems overawed.
    2c. or beg Mayo to keep going until the economy improves and I can find an office job.

Is it just me?
    Where is 5 going?

I agree with the overall thrust of your post. So other listeners also dislike Campbell? Thought I was alone...

Colin Murray is the opposite of over-awed, IMO. Did you hear Fighting Talk last weekend? You don't need to like sports to enjoy it. Anyway, during the quiz Murray got into a verbal spat with some loutish Arsenal fan (might have been a former pro, I forget). Things got genuinely heated, and Murray faced him down really well. It was funny listening but also a bit unnerving at the same time. I like his persona, but when he's in for Mayo I think the range of topics he's comfortable with is limited compared to his senior. The potential is there for me for a solid 1-4 run, though.

Derbyshire is only slightly preferable to nails scraping down a blackbaord. And Mayo needs more stimulants -he's beginning to sound a bit run-down and, frankly, bored. Not a good vibe for radio.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    poordx wrote: »

Recent(ish) changes:

What am I to do?

Any chance of:

Is it just me?
    Where is 5 going?

I gave up on 5 live years ago.

Personally i never liked Mayo. He was the reason i switched off R1 back in the 80's

The real thing that drove me away though was the obsession with Sport. Even during serious phone in's or discussions they break away for a live report on the colour of Beckhams tie today or some long winded report on a football manager.

It never happens during sport coverage though.
  • Options
    trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Murray is growing on me, to be honest - I agree he seems a bit out of his depth when hosting Simon Mayo's show but I think if he hosted a more sports based show, he would be ok.
    As for Nicky Campbell, I understand why people don't like him - he has a very arrogant manner - but as far as the phone in goes, at least he actually interracts with the callers; A lot of phone in hosts just seem to switch off when the caller is speaking: They let them make their point then move on to the next in line without even responding, which makes me wonder why they bother asking people to call in.
    I don't listen to Victoria Derbyshire or Richard Bacon or Stephen Nolan though, I can't stand any of them - I wish they'd bring back Fi Glover, who had a great presenting style, imo.

BTW - Did anyone hear Eamonn Holmes' jibe this morning that he'd probably be on Talksport next season? I take it he's been axed completely by 5live?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trec123 wrote: »
    I wish they'd bring back Fi Glover, who had a great presenting style, imo.

That wouldnt impress Derbyshire at all for obvious reasons
    BTW - Did anyone hear Eamonn Holmes' jibe this morning that he'd probably be on Talksport next season? I take it he's been axed completely by 5live?

Poor old Holmes only having 2 jobs
    I am crying into my milk:D
  • Options
    mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm afraid at 40 you are not target audience...time to move to Radio 4 poordx.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    mmlabbd wrote: »
    Yes I'm afraid at 40 you are not target audience...time to move to Radio 4 poordx.

Oh dear! I am 72, but my DAB radio is usually set to R5Live. I am in sympathy with the general thrust of this theme.

The BBC seem to be trying to find presenters from all corners of the UK, eg. N Ireland, or those with very strong regional accents. Interestingly, not included is the West Country accent.

As long as 'subtitles' are not required, I welcome this variety.

What effect will the move to Manchester have?

However, the most important aspect is ..are they able to hold a show together, and/or deal with the phone-in? Reading the contributions, I have the impression we are not that impressed with the current crop of presenters or programe direction.

Whither R5live indeed?
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP sounds suspiciously like a troll to me, but I'll bite.

Nicky Campbell might be very arrogant and full of himself, but at least he seems to know what he's talking about and engages with this listener.

Victoria Derbyshire is by far the worst and most irritating presenter for me on 5 Live with her constant babbling on about football, and her endless football phone-ins. That, and her ghastly pc and patronising attitude and ignorance on so many other subjects. The classic moment was about 6 months ago when she had Sir Alan Sugar on her programme, whom you could hear openly seething after she asked him one dumb question after the next. Eventually he walked out on her in the middle of the interview. Well done SAS!

Some people seem to have a problem with Steve Nolan, but I've always found him to be rather good. Peter Allen, Anita Arnand and Simon Mayo are all very listenable, so one needs to be rather selective with 5 Live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Can I add that they shouldn't have such a huge bias towards football when it comes to sport.

I was fed up listening to the Monaco Grand Prix qualifying today when they kept interrupting it to give the latest news on the football. Surely it could have waited until the gaps in the qualifying?

Was it really that important a football match that it should interrupt the qualifying for the indisputably most exiting race of the Formula 1 season.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I add that they shouldn't have such a huge bias towards football when it comes to sport.

I was fed up listening to the Monaco Grand Prix qualifying today when they kept interrupting it to give the latest news on the football. Surely it could have waited until the gaps in the qualifying?

Was it really that important a football match that it should interrupt the qualifying for the indisputably most exiting race of the Formula 1 season.

Great scenery but no overtaking. The most boring procession of the season
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    [/B]

Great scenery but no overtaking. The most boring procession of the season

I don't agree. It's the one track that shows the driver's skill rather than the car's technicalities.

And there is overtaking, and a large portion of crashes which make it all the more exciting.
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree. It's the one track that shows the driver's skill rather than the car's technicalities.

And there is overtaking, and a large portion of crashes which make it all the more exciting.

We'll have to agree to disagree.
    (Hope you're right as it will make it a better watch ).
    The only crashes I remember were caused by driver error and not overtaking manouvers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Colin Murray is the opposite of over-awed, IMO. Did you hear Fighting Talk last weekend? /QUOTE]

Yes. He's good on fighting talk.
    As he would put it "I've came round to liking that one".

But for 3hours of general chitter chatter. Sadly lacking.
  • Options
    darkwinterdarkwinter Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    By and large I'm a big fan of Radio 5 Live. Agree however with the comments about Victoria Derbyshire, she annoys me. I went through a phase of not liking Nicky Campbell, but have got over that.

It'll be a huge shame when Simon Mayo goes - his show is the pick of the non-sports weekday output for me. I'm not convinced Colin Murray will be the replacement, given that he's got a regular gig on Five Live Sport a couple of days a week from next season.

Stephen Nolan really annoys me - he's the one person on the station that I refuse to listen to. However, I can understand how his style will be popular with others.

I do love the sport output - both Five Live Sport and Test Match Special. I'm pleased they'll be making more use of Mark Pougatch again, but Mark Saggers will be a big loss.

Have no issues with Richard Bacon, and hardly ever up late enough for Up All Night.

One thing I've always wondered is why it took so long for Phil Williams to get a regular slot - which he now has with weekend breakfast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    m06een00 wrote: »
    OP sounds suspiciously like a troll to me, but I'll bite.

Some people seem to have a problem with Steve Nolan, but I've always found him to be rather good. Peter Allen, Anita Arnand and Simon Mayo are all very listenable, so one needs to be rather selective with 5 Live.

I'm not a troll. Just a first time poster.

You're right about horses for courses. It just seems I like fewer and fewer of the presenters. Nolan=no Murry=no
    VD=okish Bacon=okish PAllen=value laughs Arnand=no Mayo=Yes.

I think I'm just drifting away from the audience profile but I find R4 too stuffy.
    Womens hour is good,
    Mid week makes my bile rise (mid for middle class)
    In our time is excellent
    Gone off Archers years ago
    Eddie Mair thinks he's 'kin' god's supercilious special second coming!!!
    Fi Glover is up herself after tripping to the US
    Thinking aloud good
    etc etc

I just want inoffensive interesting wallpaper radio. I don't need Eddie-ferk-ation.