Taylor Swift "Red"- Best Mainstream Album Released This Year?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
Forum Member
It totally is. The diversity, production, lyrics>>>>>>>>>

What are your fave tracks? I love all except "WANEGBT" and "Stay, Stay, Stay".

Near 80 on Metacritic right now.

Comments

• TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Sad Beautiful Tragic is a stunning song. :)

Definitely one of my favourite albums from this year.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far from it not a huge TS fan but i do enjoy her music and Red is definitely in no way worthy of that title far superior albums released this year but i suppose its all subjective :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    TR252 wrote: »
    Sad Beautiful Tragic is a stunning song. :)

Definitely one of my favourite albums from this year.

"All Too Well">>>>>>>

Best song of her career.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Its really really good. I only liked every other track on her old albums, its a real step up.
  • markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great album all round. It of course doesn't match her previous three but it doesn't have too!

There are four tracks on there that I really dislike and has no place on a Taylor Swift album but apart from those this is a really solid effort from Taylor and exceeded my expectations considerably. It's so different musically that you can't really pigeonhole it into one genre, not pure pop and not pure country. The myth that she has "gone pop" is nonsense.

The two duets really surprised me too because they work!! The Last Time with Gary Lightbody is a stunning song, very dark and very well written.

"All Too Well" is the masterpiece on this album and stands on its own next to her many other classics from previous albums. Can't stop listening to that song. How it can be followed in the tracklisting with what I would say is the worst song she's ever recorded, '22' baffles me.

The critics are enjoying it and the sales will be massive. All is good for Taylor no matter what the haters say!
    Forum Member
    markmc2k5 wrote: »
    Great album all round. It of course doesn't match her previous three but it doesn't have too!

There are four tracks on there that I really dislike and has no place on a Taylor Swift album but apart from those this is a really solid effort from Taylor and exceeded my expectations considerably. It's so different musically that you can't really pigeonhole it into one genre, not pure pop and not pure country. The myth that she has "gone pop" is nonsense.

The two duets really surprised me too because they work!! The Last Time with Gary Lightbody is a stunning song, very dark and very well written.

"All Too Well" is the masterpiece on this album and stands on its own next to her many other classics from previous albums. Can't stop listening to that song. How it can be followed in the tracklisting with what I would say is the worst song she's ever recorded, '22' baffles me.

The critics are enjoying it and the sales will be massive. All is good for Taylor no matter what the haters say!

It will probably do worse than "Speak Now" critically. That pure-pop mess she chose to include is gonna put lots of critics off i am afraid.
  • markmc2k5markmc2k5 Posts: 3,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably do worse than "Speak Now" critically. That pure-pop mess she chose to include is gonna put lots of critics off i am afraid.
    I don't doubt it will not rate as highly as Speak Now and rightfully so because its just not as good. The half a dozen or so reviews I have read so far is positive though. How would you rate it next to Speak Now yourself?

Listening to "The Lucky One" again there again. I doubt that will grab many people's attention but I'm loving that! Possibly my second favourite on the album ATM! Just trying to digest the lyrics.
    Forum Member
    markmc2k5 wrote: »
    I don't doubt it will not rate as highly as Speak Now and rightfully so because its just not as good. The half a dozen or so reviews I have read so far is positive though. How would you rate it next to Speak Now yourself?

Listening to "The Lucky One" again there again. I doubt that will grab many people's attention but I'm loving that! Possibly my second favourite on the album ATM! Just trying to digest the lyrics.

"Red">>>>>"Speak Now" for now. But lets see how this ages. :)

"The Lucky One" is very good. How about "The Last Time"? Did not expect much from this collab but it works!
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the happy foot stomping "stay stay stay"

Not got all the way through it.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listening to Delta Goodrem's new album. Almost finished and its in the top 3 of the year.
  • FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to wailt till it's released
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to wailt till it's released

Me too! I want it the album to be a surprise (well, bar WANEGBT and the promo singles) when I play it from the top. Three days left...
    Forum Member
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    Me too! I want it the album to be a surprise (well, bar WANEGBT and the promo singles) when I play it from the top. Three days left...

We're gonna make it lol;)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is it released over here? Next week, or the week after?
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    When is it released over here? Next week, or the week after?

next week
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why she's so popular.

I mean, she's cute no doubt but her music sucks so bad.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as bad as I thought actually. But not one of the best and I think she will lose Country fans and gain more Pop fans. I admire her for the change of direction she has gone but do not think it suits her at all.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get why she's so popular.

I mean, she's cute no doubt but her music sucks so bad.

I heard that "We are never, ever, ever getting back together" song the other day and I am at a total loss as to how anyone who is over the age of about 14 could listen to this pap. Even taking into consideration the target age group of Taylor Swift's fans, the music video is also dire. I was embarrassed watching it.

I can't imagine the album to be much better and reading this thread full of praise makes me feel like I've stumbled into an alternate universe. Cannot believe music like this has managed to find such a large audience. :eek:
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't imagine the album to be much better and reading this thread full of praise makes me feel like I've stumbled into an alternate universe. Cannot believe music like this has managed to find such a large audience. :eek:

Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Gangnam style (or however you spell it) got to number one, and you're worried about how people can like Taylor Swift's music?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Everyone has different tastes and opinions.

Obviously, and I'm expressing mine. :)
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that "We are never, ever, ever getting back together" song the other day and I am at a total loss as to how anyone who is over the age of about 14 could listen to this pap. Even taking into consideration the target age group of Taylor Swift's fans, the music video is also dire. I was embarrassed watching it.

I thought it was a cover of a Lolly album track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    I thought it was a cover of a Lolly album track.

Oh gawd, Lolly! That takes me back. She was terrible even for a cheap novelty act.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously, and I'm expressing mine. :)

Your opinion is invalid though, as you are saying you don't understand how anybody could like her music when you haven't even listened to the album. You have based it on the song which is not representive of the rest of the record, so therefore your criticism isn't really backed up.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your opinion is invalid though, as you are saying you don't understand how anybody could like her music when you haven't even listened to the album. You have based it on the song which is not representive of the rest of the record, so therefore your criticism isn't really backed up.

she is the most boring, generic and mundane country star of the moment following in a long line of people like jewel, leann rimes etc, nothing she does is new and artists like the civil wars do it 1000 times better, nothing of hers has ever grabbed me until we are never ever which was a reasonable fairly catchy pop song, not that i would have it on my ipod
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My is just my opinion. Not meant to be taken as gospel, and certainly not meant to be taken so seriously. It's just music chatter, not an attempt at debating for world peace or something. :p