Options

Jury Service

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
Forum Member
✭✭
My girlfriend had a letter today asking her to do some jury service.
I have just started a new job, she is on maternity leave. Is having nobody to look after the baby a good enough reason to be excused?

I know they take it seriously and you need a good reason. What if they decide this isn't good enough?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't need that much of a good reason if it's the first time to be selected.
    when i got my request i just said that i had annual leave booked for that time and i didn't want to miss taking them, they accepted and cancelled the request.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    Play dumb. Say you're the victim of crime, they never caught the person and you don't believe in the system. She won't get picked with any luck.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    There are quite a few threads already on this subject. Do a search and you will find out the answers you require.

To sum up.

Some people have a genuine reason for not going.

Some people just ignore the summons request and hopefully it will go away.

Some people don't want to do it because of potential financial losses, for example from loss of work.

Some people just don't care about the legal system. Meh in other words.

Some people actually found the experience rewarding. Me being one of them.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcidVenus wrote: »
    I have just started a new job, she is on maternity leave. Is having nobody to look after the baby a good enough reason to be excused?

I know they take it seriously and you need a good reason. What if they decide this isn't good enough?

no, as you can claim expenses to cover childcare
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    no, as you can claim expenses to cover childcare

Childcare? They expect everyone to be ok with leaving their 4 month old with a stranger?
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I did jury service a couple of years back, I sat around for 3 days then was called to sit on 3 juries, I found them all guilty.

I was excused from the last one which was a big murder case because I knew the victim and the accused and had already decided guilt.

The catering arrangements leave a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If she asks to be excused they will probably be ok with it but they WILL call her again and she will NOT be excused again. Next time might be even more inconvenient. So if I were her, I would try to find a way to do it and get it over with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can ask to be excused or postpone it for up to 12 months. Just give them a ring.

Do not ignore it, you can be fined up to £1k.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By law, you must do jury service when asked. It will be as local as possible to where you live.

When you’re sent a ‘jury summons’, you must complete and return it within 7 days.

Once your jury service is confirmed, you must turn up on the agreed start date. If you don’t, you could be fined £1,000.

There are some situations when you can’t be on a jury - eg if you’ve been in prison in the last 10 years. These are listed in the summons.
    Source
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not that she doesn't want to do it, and to be honest Ive always said I wouldnt mind doing it.
    We are just not comfortable leaving our baby with someone other than a close family member.
    I don't think any parent should be put under that pressure.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It's not that she doesn't want to do it, and to be honest Ive always said I wouldnt mind doing it.
    We are just not comfortable leaving our baby with someone other than a close family member.
    I don't think any parent should be put under that pressure.

if you feel that way try explaining that to the jury service people

although as said it will happen again, but I guess it could be when the child is older, would you be comfortable then?

they wont let parents off it for being parents or half the people they called wouldnt go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    if you feel that way try explaining that to the jury service people

although as said it will happen again, but I guess it could be when the child is older, would you be comfortable then?

they wont let parents off it for being parents or half the people they called wouldnt go!

It would still be hard to leave her with a stranger, but yeah if she was a few years older then it would be much easier.
    Just not happy with it at 4/5 months old as she is now.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    It would still be hard to leave her with a stranger, but yeah if she was a few years older then it would be much easier.
    Just not happy with it at 4/5 months old as she is now.

i would say thats reasonable if you explain it like that (well it is to me anyway.)
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    You can ask to be excused or postpone it for up to 12 months. Just give them a ring.

Do not ignore it, you can be fined up to £1k.

Ignore it as it isn't sent by registered post. I can't believe how everyone folds over and replies to these letters. There is NO proof you ever received it. That's your get out if you want it?
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    Ignore it as it isn't sent by registered post. I can't believe how everyone folds over and replies to these letters. There is NO proof you ever received it. That's your get out if you want it?
    You've done this then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've done this then?

I know someone who has done this twice and with no come back. Sheep rolling over. £1000 fines when they can't prove you ever received the letter. I mean really think about it!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got out of it by saying I was irreplaceable at work, and it would cost the school too much to pay for a supply to cover me, for an undetermined period of time. I thought they'd force me to go but they swallowed that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I got out of it by saying I was irreplaceable at work, and it would cost the school too much to pay for a supply to cover me, for an undetermined period of time. I thought they'd force me to go but they swallowed that.

Just stick it in the bin. Job done!
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member

I fail to see why. Jury service is a civic duty, not something to be 'got out of'. You would normally get a fair amount of notice so you can sort out any arrangements in good time. I am sure two weeks won't kill.
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    normally yu can get away from doing jury service at least once sometimes twice by giving a whopper of an excuse (going on hols) but they probably get yu in the end.
    One strange thing about thejury service is that they tend to go to particualr areas to find there victims .
    My ex has done it twice because she lived in such a area and they prefer women as they are more likely to be at home rather than men ...
    I know people includeing my father (age 88) who have never been asked to do it they simply do not live in the catchment area the jury service wants..
    I will never do it (thank god) this is because the type of job i do forbids me in doing it ever.. Horray for sanity !!
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your girlfriend breastfeeding? If so that would be worth mentioning too.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are people who go to the courthouse with sandwiches and watch trials take place, never really understood why you would want to do that :confused:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is 72 and has never been called. Both me and my sister are both in our 40's and have never been called.

Kind of assumed i'd have had the call by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretinama wrote: »
    I fail to see why. Jury service is a civic duty, not something to be 'got out of'. You would normally get a fair amount of notice so you can sort out any arrangements in good time. I am sure two weeks won't kill.

But as I said, we are not comfortable with leaving our 4 month old daughter with a stranger. Only really leave her with our parents. I can't get out of work, my gfs mum cant get out of work and mine wouldn't be able to get off on the particular time mentioned in the letter as it's a busy time and she's the manager.

It's not about wanting to get out of it as she wants to do it, but for the reasons above it can't be done.
  • Options
    kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Childcare issues isn't a valid reason for not doing jury service.

Either accept that and deal with it, or find a way of getting out of it, such as finding a corrupt GP who will sign you off with stress.

No one here can magic away the law for you.